Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SF21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puhutes wrote:
It's true! I was starting to feel my TESOL certificate and my ideas of coming to Germany were really stupid because of the pessimism on this website. However, I've had nothing but luck since I've been here. I make between 35-45Euros an hour and am certainly not short of work here. English is certainly something we can do better and they need Smile
Happy Holidays and Good Luck in 2008 everyone!

Puhutes, so did you just show up in a German city and start knocking on doors? I ask because I'm American also (assuming your are too or Canadian), just finished my CELTA here in Budapest, and Germany is tops on my list as far as work destinations...and I want to learn Deutsch. I've applied to the few Germany job postings that didn't mention "EU national preferred", but haven't heard back. I'm wondering if I need to make the trip to, say Berlin or Munich, and hit the ground with my CV in hand.

Have you or anyone heard if it's possible to apply and get a student visa in Germany by just signing up for a German language class...which will allow you to work part-time also (in this case teach English)? Or do you need to be a full-time student at a Uni? A friend of mine said he's able to sign up for a private, few-hundred-hour French class in Paris, which will get him a student visa and allow him to work up to 20 hours/week.
matthew_k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, life is short, but I think life is long enough for you to become informed of the truth of western politics however. Clearly, few americans are.
matthew_k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF21

You can get a student Visa when you are registered for classes that amount to 20 hrs a week. A 1 hr class is actually 45 minutes, so that means 20 45 minute periods of class. All intensive German language courses are at least 20 hours per week. As far as working while you are a student, I know you can work only 90 days out of the year, or 180 half days. At your University, however, you are eligible for more work. As a language student only, at a private language school or a Volkshochschule (which I think is the best option and is always the cheapest, roughly 1 euro per period which is 1/4 the price of most private schools) for instance, I am not sure if you are permitted to work. I am trying to find this out myself because to be admitted to school in Germany I need to pass the language exam and want to take a preparation course for this exam starting this month. I also would like to work. But I've heard that receiving a freelance visa is not very difficult. You only need a letter of intent to hire to first go about this. I'll let you know more as I find out about the visa for student work this week.
matthew_k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this post is completely clear. Yes you get a student visa when you are taking German courses in Germany, but not all are the same, and not all permit you to work.
Beyond1984

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany Reply with quote

StralsundAmi "For those of you who are not aware. There are many jobs in Germany for Americans, specifically."

Thank you for the helpful notice, Strals.

In his book "Sorrows of Empire," 2004, Chalmers Johnson notes that as of September 2001 there were 251,000 US military personnel, a support staff of 34,000 DoD civilians, and 189,000 US dependents abroad, based in 153 counties.

For those who dream of working for the US military, or teaching its children, there are 150 countries other than Germany, South Korea and Japan from which to choose.

-HDT

"How does it become a man to behave toward this American government today? I answer that he cannot without disgrace be associated with it."
-Henry David Thoreau, "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience," 1849
SF21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthew_k wrote:
I'm not sure if this post is completely clear. Yes you get a student visa when you are taking German courses in Germany, but not all are the same, and not all permit you to work.

Thanks. Update: I have a few interviews for freelance work in Munich and Hamburg, so I'm not looking at the student visa angle anymore. We'll see what happens...
zazm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are onbase jobs working with the US military.

I would love to do it!!!
Do they employ from the US or do you have to be in Germany to apply? (I know depending on the job, if a person applies from the US, they might get free or onbase housing)
What kind of education are they looking for? Can any American apply?
I have some affiliation with the US military now (IRR status), could that be handy in getting a job?

I know that for those wanting to work on the bases in Korea, you can't be in the country more than 12 months or else it is considered residency. I think the same goes for Germany and Italy for these jobs.....Also, most of the time, you have to know someone in the system who can put in a good word for you at CPAC..

If you have an angle on how to get a job onbase or a reliable POC, PM me......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: