Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Philippines and ESL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: The Philippines Reply with quote

Ghost has been travelling to the Philippines since 1999, many times, for rest and relaxation, between teaching contracts and on vacation.

Ghost has invested in property in Laguna Province, with the help of a Pinoy attorney. Ghost has also studied Tagalog, and regional culture, in conjunction with a course at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, so it (ghost) is much more familiar with the Philippines than many people would suspect.

The fact that ghost mingles and lives with the Pinoys/Pinays on a regular basis, and has been adopted by the people in the Barangay as an honorary visitor and semi permanent citizen away from the tourist traps of Boracay and Palawan, gives it a broader perspective. The Filipinos themselves have told ghost not to count on ever earning a living as a teacher in the Philippines, and if some of the doubters go on to the forums of some of the Universities (like the forum of the University of the Philippines, Diliman) they will quickly come to realize that the vast majority of educated Filipinos communicate in English, and at a level comparable or better than most similarly educated North Americans, and Canadians. Another site of interest is the www.gov.ph/forum (official website of the Philippines), and on those forums, you will also realize how proficient the Filipinos are in English communication, which is used 90% of the time for written communication on those Pinoy boards.

For those reasons, and others, native speakers will never really get a foothold of the situation for teaching English as a second language in the Philippines...

Nagugustuhan ho namin dito!

ghost
Worldly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Philippines Reply with quote

ghost wrote:
The Filipinos themselves have told ghost not to count on ever earning a living as a teacher in the Philippines, and if some of the doubters go on to the forums of some of the Universities (like the forum of the University of the Philippines, Diliman) they will quickly come to realize that the vast majority of educated Filipinos communicate in English, and at a level comparable or better than most similarly educated North Americans, and Canadians. Another site of interest is the www.gov.ph/forum (official website of the Philippines), and on those forums, you will also realize how proficient the Filipinos are in English communication, which is used 90% of the time for written communication on those Pinoy boards.

For those reasons, and others, native speakers will never really get a foothold of the situation for teaching English as a second language in the Philippines...

ghost

ghost feels most educated Filipinos are internationally competitive when it comes to English proficiency, and he bases his conclusion on his personal observation of the quality of RP university and RP government websites.

I beg to differ!

I regret to inform you that Filipino English proficiency has ERODED to a non-competitive level. The RP education system, especially in the area of English instruction, is in crisis.

Consider the following quote from a recent New York Times article:

"European Chamber of Commerce of Philippines study shows 75 percent of more than 400,000 Filipino students that graduate college each year have 'substandard English skills'; survey by Business Processing Association of Philippines found that English proficiency was one of top three areas that country should seek to improve; survey indicated that most call center companies hired only 5 percent to 10 percent of job applicants they interviewed, mainly because of inadequate English proficiency;"

SOURCE: http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10C1FFC385A0C778EDDA80994DE404482&n=Top%2fNews%2fWorld%2fCountries%20and%20Territories%2fPhilippines

ghost, please don't try to sugar-coat the current education crisis in the Philippines. This country (the country I currently reside in) is in trouble, and one of their biggest problems is they have lost their competitive advantage in English proficiency.

Again, to reiterate, a demand exists for native speakers, and it's only a matter of time before current barriers to increased employment of native speakers are lifted.
White_Elephant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told, I was offered an ESL teaching job in the Philippines. It was in Cebu and they paid a thousand USDs a month. I was offered this job when I was not looking and they never saw my resume. I thought the pay was miserable and I wasn't interested in the Philippines, anyway. I wasn't even "adopted" by the "Philippino" people either.

Idea Maybe it's not what you know but who you know that matters.
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: reality check Reply with quote

Quote:
Truth be told, I was offered an ESL teaching job in the Philippines. It was in Cebu and they paid a thousand USDs a month. I was offered this job when I was not looking and they never saw my resume. I thought the pay was miserable and I wasn't interested in the Philippines, anyway. I wasn't even "adopted" by the "Philippino" people either.

Well, well....you should know that $1000 U.S. is an excellent salary in the Philippines for a teacher - and that most Pinoys and Pinays will work a full teaching job for only about $150-$200 per month (sometimes less) so the salary you were offered (if true) appears very good.

One thing about jobs in the Philippines is that you sometimes contact a teaching organization there (in the Philippines) and get the application process going, and think you will go there, and then they (the Pinoy Institution) ``drops`` you and the application you made is no longer taken into consideration - why? because they have found a Pinoy/Pinay who can do the job much better than you or ghost, for much, much less pay! simple economics, not to mention the hassle of employing a foreigner, which is highly complex and financially penalizing in the ``Friendly Isles`` (friendly for everything except employment and owning businesses as a foreigner).

ghost
Big L

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: teaching in PI Reply with quote

Don't let the misinformed deter you if you want to teach
in the Philippines. I recently finished almost three years
living and working there, and you can find a school, or other work, if you
are really motivated to stay. Beyond the low pay, actually living there
and not being a tourist, or a pretend resident, has some real advantages.
I was making alot more than the mayor of Cebu (his pay is about
28,000 p) and didn't need a bodyguard. I will post soon with more details
if anyone is interested, or you can contact me if you have questions.
It is amazing how much misinformation there is about a country
where most folks nominally speak English. If you want to read about
the country, there is a bunch of good sites, including philstar.
teachsab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: agree with Big L Reply with quote

There is money to be made in the Philippines. It will not come in the pre-packaged model of a private school in Korea or a private school in Japan. The competition is tough, just like Ghost said. Many people have more education and experience than you do. Honestly though, I can personally tell you that it is possible. I don't have a masters degree or anything special, I'm just super aggressive and confident. I sell myself and at the end of the day I see a future here that I didn't see in other countries. It wasn't easy in the states during the fifties but many rich people today were made during that time. I used my ESL experience to get into the door, with a fair amount of salesmanship, and now I am pleased.

Also a note for Ghost. Don't get caught up with the crab mentality that many Filipino's get caught up in. They don't know that it is possible to actually make money in the Philippines, they have to go overseas. Guess what? That is what the majority of people want them to believe. I know many Filipinos that make over 200K PHP a month, and they are under the age of 25. I also know many ex-pats that make a lot more than that.

To be a little selfish though, I hope everyone just stays in South Korea and Japan. Less competition for me, lol.

Good Luck All!!!!
diver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: esl Reply with quote

Big L wrote

Quote:
Don't let the misinformed deter you if you want to teach
in the Philippines. I recently finished almost three years
living and working there, and you can find a school, or other work, if you
are really motivated to stay

I agree. My motivation is to get into the ESL business long term as we will be living there. There is lots of misinformation, but I know there is demand for ESL teachers.

I lived in the Philippines for seven months while waiting for my wife's immigration papers to process. My wife's family and friends could not understand me and they did not speak good English.

teachsab wrote
Quote:
There is money to be made in the Philippines. It will not come in the pre-packaged model of a private school in Korea or a private school in Japan.

Yes, this is true. After some time I would like to branch out on my own.

I�m still a few years away from living in the Philippines. My wife misses living there and that is one of the reasons why we want to retire there.

I bought a book from the National Science Teachers Association on teaching science and ESL. I will also start on an ESL certification by taking the required graduate classes as I am required to keep taking classes to maintain my certification.

http://store.nsta.org/showItem.asp?product=PB194X&session=EC7471BA8618460781F2062CC52D557E

thanks
diver
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Philippines for the first time last month, and LOVED IT. I hit Cebu then Boracay, and really liked it. I've also met many Filipinos in Korea, where I live and work, and they say setting up a business in the Philippines requires little cash. But others say getting reliable staff and shakedowns by cops or officials are troublesome. I also knew an ex-Navy Seal who spent three years in the Philippines as a diving instructor, but left in disgust.

English is my mother tongue and I'm also fluent in Korean, so perhaps going in with a Korean investor in something other than ESL might be the ticket.
blowinlicks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Kalgushki and others,

Thank you very much. Ghost is way out of line here. I am married to a Filipina and I think I am well-acquainted with the people and the culture, at least with regard to the employment prospects there and its relation to foreign teachers. I strongly suspect malfeasance.

Ghost - lay off the generalizations. Nearly all are completely ludicrous and
are merely inflaming some sort of "imagined predjudice" with regard to Filipino teachers, FTs and the very wise people who previously responded.
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

blowinlicks wrote:
Mr. Kalgushki and others,

Thank you very much. Ghost is way out of line here. I am married to a Filipina and I think I am well-acquainted with the people and the culture, at least with regard to the employment prospects there and its relation to foreign teachers. I strongly suspect malfeasance.

Ghost - lay off the generalizations. Nearly all are completely ludicrous and
are merely inflaming some sort of "imagined predjudice" with regard to Filipino teachers, FTs and the very wise people who previously responded.

A well qualified certfied teacher from Canada with B.A./B.Ed./M.A./T.E.S.L. applied to over 30 schools in the Philippines which specialize in English.

The well qualified applicant only got one response - from Berlitz/Manila.

There is definetely a problem when it comes to recruitment for teachers wishing to teach in the Philippines. There is an almost total lack of communication from the schools.

In most cases the schools in the Philippines are not pro active in seeking foreign 'native speakers' because they prefer to employ their own folk, who are fluent in English, and it costs less to do so.

Despite a growing trend of Koreans studying in the Philippines, the demand for native speakers is dismal and will continue to be so, unless a major overhaul of the system takes place, and that is not likely to happen.

Arroyo has great plans for the Philippines and predicts that the country (Philippines) will become an advanced industrialized country by the year 2020, with poverty eradicated and a sizeable middle class of educated Filipinos.

Seems like an opitimistic projection.

Manila = most congested city on the globe, with inhabitants per sq. km.

Ghost in Korea
spinelli35

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I'm kind of wondering why everytime a post about the Phillipines comes up Ghost tries to deter other teachers from working there?

The original post from the OP was dating back to 06 of last year and Ghost is still at it.

I applied to jobs in the Phillipines last year, and although I didn't get a response right away..about a week or two later my inbox got flooded. That's no word of a lie.

Now if so many teachers in the Phillipines were as "qualified" as you claim they are, why in the world would they be posting job ads all over the place looking for teachers from nativespeaking countries?

South Korea and Japan would be doing the same thing if that were the case. Just hiring Pinoys and Pinays. It's the whole blonde, hair blue eyed, aspect of having a teacher from an English country that attracts parents to want to pay for their kids schooling with a particular school/organization.

MOD EDIT

Teacher who want to work in the Phillipines go for it!

The jobs are plentiful and they would welcome you with open arms. They love the west, they love Americans and Canadians and they would love to learn English from North Americans..not just Pinays.

The food is probably amongst the top 3 in Asia..MOD EDIT, the weather is great, the beaches are fantastic and you can actually live like a king on even 700 U.S. a month, and most locals speak enough English to understand you but the majority have terrible grammar and their english is dyslexic. However they are the most kind and generous people once they get to know you, and you are family not a teacher.

Thank you
Big L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that changed in 6 months is the exchange rate! It is
south of 45 peso to a buck . I was getting paid in US dollars two years
ago...and the rate was steady at 56. Keep us posted on how the job search goes..
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...yes...but where is this so-called "Philip Eanes" located, and how did he get so many islands?

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I applied to jobs in the Phillipines last year, and although I didn't get a response right away..about a week or two later my inbox got flooded. That's no word of a lie.

Can anyone tell me whether a work permit can be obtained in the Phillipines?

Furthermore what is needed to get a work permit?
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: work not possible Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone tell me whether a work permit can be obtained in the Phillipines?

Furthermore what is needed to get a work permit?

Work permits for teaching ESL/EFL are not given in the Philippines, because the Ministry of labor does not recognize ESL/EFL as being a needed import skill, and the Ministry is right, because there are plenty of well educated Filipinos who can do the job better than you or most of the people on this board who are not real teachers for starters.

MOD EDIT because the reality is that there are basically almost no jobs for us as English teachers in the Philippines.

The Philippines needs people with technical skills, not backpackers who flock to South East Asia for a subsidized vacation while pretending to teach.

There are no work visas for us. Try Taiwan or Korea, you will have much more success there, and the money you earn will enable you to go on vacation in the Philippines. Taiwan is just a short 1.5 hour plane ride from Manila.

Ghost in Korea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: