Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goethe Institut teachers � the worst on the planet � A diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. i want to learn a language that is free of such madness. Learning a language should free the mind, not restrict with with other messed up problems.
I never saw the draw of German before but now I have stated I definately can.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanman wrote:
One thing that interests me about German which i'd like to ask. Do Germans have a racial connection to their language? By this I mean that i'm English (white) and living in Japan. Japanese people have a disturbing race/blood/langauge mentality. Many people find it odd that a white person can speak Japanese but would feel more "comfortable" speaking Japanese to another asian. This does my head in alot because Chinese people are often pretty bad at Japanese but the racial thing makes their mistakes acceptable. As soon as mr white man opens his mouth it's different

This is nonsense.

Rightly or not, English speakers in their own countries assume all others there can speak some English. We don�t expect perfection, strong accents and mangled English are OK for most people. By the way, forget English teachers � studies show they quickly become accustomed and can easily comprehend low-level English which would be unintelligible to most non-teaching native English speakers

Going the other way, however, even people here in Berlin are surprised that I, as a Caucasian Brit, can speak passable German. That�s not racism, just reality. Now, imagine that multiplied by at least a thousand to see how the Japanese must feel when a Caucasian makes an effort to speak their language. It�s not racism, just a combination of surprise and lack of previous exposure to a foreign accent.

We�re also used to foreign politicians who speak appalling English. No one raises an eyebrow at their crap grammar. Apparently, Tony Blair speaks reasonable French or German (don�t know which), but he�d never speak it in public. He�d be a laughing stock.

It�s not about racism.
Deicide

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
japanman wrote:
One thing that interests me about German which i'd like to ask. Do Germans have a racial connection to their language? By this I mean that i'm English (white) and living in Japan. Japanese people have a disturbing race/blood/langauge mentality. Many people find it odd that a white person can speak Japanese but would feel more "comfortable" speaking Japanese to another asian. This does my head in alot because Chinese people are often pretty bad at Japanese but the racial thing makes their mistakes acceptable. As soon as mr white man opens his mouth it's different

This is nonsense.

Rightly or not, English speakers in their own countries assume all others there can speak some English. We don�t expect perfection, strong accents and mangled English are OK for most people. By the way, forget English teachers � studies show they quickly become accustomed and can easily comprehend low-level English which would be unintelligible to most non-teaching native English speakers

Going the other way, however, even people here in Berlin are surprised that I, as a Caucasian Brit, can speak passable German. That�s not racism, just reality. Now, imagine that multiplied by at least a thousand to see how the Japanese must feel when a Caucasian makes an effort to speak their language. It�s not racism, just a combination of surprise and lack of previous exposure to a foreign accent.

We�re also used to foreign politicians who speak appalling English. No one raises an eyebrow at their crap grammar. Apparently, Tony Blair speaks reasonable French or German (don�t know which), but he�d never speak it in public. He�d be a laughing stock.

It�s not about racism.

Blair spricht Franzoesisch, O Herr des Winters....
japanman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Blair's French is pretty good I think. Saw him once giving a speech in French before he was PM and he appeared pretty smooth and fluent.

To Hod, I know exactly what you mean and take your point completely but I it's tricky for you to understand what the Japanese are like until you've lived here. But I understand what you mean.

Regarding the language, i'm using Pimsleur German to learn the fundamentals. Has anybody ever used this?
smoofy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poro wrote:
Deicide wrote:

German grammar is easy. Try Hungarian; 24 cases, tons of verb endings, vowel harmony, etc....or Finnish, which is a little easier...or Polish which makes German look like a joke...

lol - but no matter what anyone says, properly structured languages are always easier.

Unlike English, which can be so infuriatingly irregular that even native speakers can sound like uneducated rednecks Twisted Evil

WHAT U SAIZ ABOUTS MY ENGLISH???
smoofy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanman wrote:
Tony Blair's French is pretty good I think. Saw him once giving a speech in French before he was PM and he appeared pretty smooth and fluent.

To Hod, I know exactly what you mean and take your point completely but I it's tricky for you to understand what the Japanese are like until you've lived here. But I understand what you mean.

Regarding the language, i'm using Pimsleur German to learn the fundamentals. Has anybody ever used this?

I'm using the Pimsleur at the moment to study up for the big move to Berlin. I think it's a great program when it comes to pronunciation, but I really need writing work too.
MilesFerdinand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Hod... I may be wrong but you sound like the type of teacher 9be it of English or any other language) that I would hate. You go on and on about the Goethe teachers talking non-stop but you seem like you'd do exactly the same. In fact your hatred of the Goethe trainer is probably based on the fact that you wish you had the chance to talk so much but she/he wont let you. Maybe they talk so much to keep you quiet.

Your motto personal motto seems to be - "Why use 3 words when I can use 30?"

As for the German: I know all schools base their German language courses heavily on the grammar but you're getting too obsessed analysing the stuff. Yes its tricky and if you're not a grammar freak it will only get worse. You obviously have a smattering of the language so if I were you I'd bin the course and spend more time out speaking, meeting people etc... As you dont need the language for your job, who cares if you call a beer "feminine" when its really "neutral"?
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't teach. (4 words)

may 9be I need a new motto personal motto?

Not sure about being a grammar obsessive, but anyone who's studied German to even pre-intermediate level (and gone past das bier stage) will vouch how appalling it's gonna sound with crap grammar.

Next.
MilesFerdinand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: German Reply with quote

Germany is the most logical, well organised place Ive ever been and this is definitely reflected in the language too. It has very few exceptions to the grammar (unlike English) and is generally quite regimented as far as the rules go. It seems difficult to begin with (especially to English speakers) because of the der, die, das problem but if you dont worry too much about that then you'll get less stuck.

You said "anyone who has studied German to pre-intermediate level know that German grammar is appalling".... I learnt German without grammar to start with. I went to evening-classes for 4 lessons, learned the absolute basics but found it so mindnumbingly boring that I gave up. I little later I used my spare time to join a basketball team - its here that I learnt the language. Nobody spoke English and there were no teachers on the team going through grammar... You've really got to use what you know and be less tied up on the grammar. It sounds bizarre but "studying" German grammar should come AFTER you've learned to communicate Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree. For me Grammar comes first. Then communication.

Ha if you think German is difficult try Magyar or Finnish ! As for the remark, "German Grammar is appaling", what is that supposed to mean ?

But it is much easier now to use English in Germany than a few years ago. I started my teaching there 40 years ago.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
...anyone who's studied German to even pre-intermediate level (and gone past das bier stage) will vouch how appalling it's gonna sound with crap grammar.

becomes "German grammar is appalling".

but if you think that's hard you should try _______ (insert minor language here).
lunasea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i was actually planning on taking a german course this summer in berlin and was considering going to the Goethe Institute! Shocked hmmm maybe i should rethink this... any suggestions on somewhere else to go? i would need an intermediate level (and i very much support communicative-approach view teaching) Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers or ex-teachers will always be more fussy when they end up as students.

I did try and be balanced when I slated the Goethe Institut - my first teacher was really good. But like anywhere, the glossy brochures and reputation mean diddly squat. Only the teacher matters. Paying 600 euro and courses only starting every two months doesn't allow for much flexiblity. Courses also get booked up so you couldn't sit in for a lesson or two before deciding.

My Goethe courses were done in the evenings with part-time teachers. Goethe in Berlin does have full-time teachers, and I have this idea that due to qualifications, training, support received, etc, they would somehow be better. There is a German equivalent of the CELTA and I would certainly insist a teacher has at least that.

There is an IH in Schoeneberg Berlin which I am planning on studying at soon. I think courses start every week for pre-intermediate upwards.

www.deutschakademie.de/berlin is cheap and cheerful for semi-intensive courses.
lunasea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Teachers or ex-teachers will always be more fussy when they end up as students.

I did try and be balanced when I slated the Goethe Institut - my first teacher was really good. But like anywhere, the glossy brochures and reputation mean diddly squat. Only the teacher matters. Paying 600 euro and courses only starting every two months doesn't allow for much flexiblity. Courses also get booked up so you couldn't sit in for a lesson or two before deciding.

My Goethe courses were done in the evenings with part-time teachers. Goethe in Berlin does have full-time teachers, and I have this idea that due to qualifications, training, support received, etc, they would somehow be better. There is a German equivalent of the CELTA and I would certainly insist a teacher has at least that.

There is an IH in Schoeneberg Berlin which I am planning on studying at soon. I think courses start every week for pre-intermediate upwards.

www.deutschakademie.de/berlin is cheap and cheerful for semi-intensive courses.

thanks for the input, let us know what u think of the course in Schoeneberg. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dagi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goethe Institute has a good reputation but indeed it doesn't mean they live up to it when it comes to reality.
Anyway, the situation of teachers of German as a foreign language is appalling. Working conditions can best be described as modern slavery. Google the "Aktion Butterbrot" to get an idea of wages. Browsing here they earn less than TEFL teachers. 30-40� an hour is just something they can dream of. DaF teacher usually earn half of that.
So naturally there are different kinds of German teachers. Those who slave away and do an insane amount of teaching hours to survive, not having enough time to deliver qualitiy lesson. Or the dedicated German teachers, usually female and married, who do a few courses here and there to supplement the family income, earn some pocket money or simply because the otherwise would get bored at home.
And anyone can call himself a teacher of German as a foreign language - DaF Lehrer - it's not an officially recognised profession. Yet, most language studies require a university degree of Germanistik topped off with numerous other qualifications. A simple random certificate doesn't get you anywhere in that business. You need a uni degree to slave away and earn less than a cleaner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: