Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A questions from a newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Pop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: a summary-- Reply with quote

dyak wrote:
Does anyone else loathe the word 'newbie' as much as I do?

Answer Arrow YES.
Your other comments in that post are (almost) as good as this one.

dyak wrote:
As for the Marines, if you are dumb enough to go anywhere near the armed forces by choice then you kinda deserve it.

Very Happy Agree, emphatically. (I know this is right!)

capergirl wrote:
This sounds like something a bully would say. The victim always invites the bullying (i.e. ridiculing), "innit" Scot47? You may be one of the oldest and most experienced people on this board, but from where I sit you still have a bit of growing up to do.

This cuts to the heart of the matter, IMHO.
This (bullying) attitude is why I finally said, "OK that's enough!" Especially when this happens in a forum specifically designed for people new to the field or new to the forum.

capergirl, if anything, you were too nice (way too nice) to the guy. I mean, ". . . you still have a bit of growing up to do." A bit? A bit?? Very Happy

Glenski wrote:
If you want to flame, go back to the sandbox or the Marines.
I liked the other points in your post too.
Nicely stated, however--as far as "returning to the Marines" or any other professional military unit:

1. I don't believe the guy was ever in the military.
2. Contary to popular belief, with his kind of attitude, I predict he wouldn't last very long . . .
3. He wouldn't last long in most sandboxes either unless, perhaps, he carefully selected his sandboxes so that he would be the biggest one there. Thus, capable of terrorizing the smaller (less experienced) kids!

scot47 wrote:
. . . I will continue to ridicule people who ask ridiculous questions.

Hm, I wonder what would happen if we all took this same attitude in connection with "ridiculous" wording. Especially when the ridiculous phraseology emanates from a (supposed) "teacher"? of English.

For example:
Quote:
" . . . get a teaching certificate and then thinka bout hwre you want to go.
"thinka bout hwre. . .." uh, what?
Hey! Is anyone available to translate this into English? Cool
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: a summary-- Reply with quote

J-Pop wrote:

capergirl, if anything, you were too nice (way too nice) to the guy. I mean, ". . . you still have a bit of growing up to do." A bit? A bit?? Very Happy

Was I? Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Tough love Reply with quote

Dear Fellow-Threaders,
I'm going to take what would seem to be an unpopular stance here: defending scot47's style. The way I see it, a lot of scot47's posts inject a healthy dose of bracing reality into many threads. And, what's MOST important ( to me, anyway ), I don't get any feeling of " nastiness " from what he writes. I'd say he's kind of a proponent of the " tough love " school of advice. Now personally, I don't believe that this is always the best way to go, but it can and does have its merits. Moreover, I strongly suspect that underneath that crusty exterior, beats the heart of ( believe it or not ) an old softy - someone who really DOES care about others. So, although I don't always applaud his style, I do think he's quite a handy guy to have around.
Regards,
John
dduck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and disagree with John. Why should oldies hammer newbies for their mistakes and poorly thought-out questions? Especially when teachers should be encouraging their students. Why should we treat each other any differently? Is trial-by-fire better than constructive criticism?

If we want to build a sense of community shouldn't we care for one another?
Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't support john's method of responding.

Bosnian simply asked about the job market, and he/she even stated a preference for the Middle East or North Africa, yet john slammed back with this...

Quote:
"Overseas" ? Where is that ? Is it near "Abroad" ?

You really need a slightly more sophisticated world view than the dichotomy of MY COUNTRY V. EVERYWHERE ELSE

It shows he didn't even read bosnian's post carefully (and it was pretty short!).

As for his second stinging remark...

Quote:
And what, pray tell, is a "telf" ? Do you mean a Certificate or Diploma in TEFL ?

I think a reasonable person would refrain from calling anyone on a simple typo. John didn't, and that was uncalled for, IMHO.
J-Pop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: not john Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Sorry, but I don't support john's method of responding.

Bosnian simply asked about the job market, and he/she even stated a preference for the Middle East or North Africa, yet john slammed back with this...

Quote:
"Overseas" ? Where is that ? Is it near "Abroad" ?

You really need a slightly more sophisticated world view than the dichotomy of MY COUNTRY V. EVERYWHERE ELSE

It shows he didn't even read bosnian's post carefully (and it was pretty short!).

As for his second stinging remark...

Quote:
And what, pray tell, is a "telf" ? Do you mean a Certificate or Diploma in TEFL ?

I think a reasonable person would refrain from calling anyone on a simple typo. John didn't, and that was uncalled for, IMHO.

Glenski,
As usual your comments are on target--with one (important) exception. That is, I believe you have inadvertently confused "john" (johnslat) with "scot47."

It was not john who made those comments you quote in your message, above.

John spoke in defense of the one who made those comments, but john was not the one who wrote them.
denise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat-- (& scot47, too, since you are now the topic of the thread...)

The "tough love" approach does have its merits--preparing people for "the real world" (although the real world is not always that bad! it can be downright pleasant sometimes!).

The problem is the medium of transmission. Tone is difficult to read online. Cute little emoticons help, but they cannot truly represent the feeling behind a post. In scot47's messages, I think the "tough" comes across a lot more than the "love."

I feel like a broken record at this point, as several posters have said this on several threads several times (and someone even mentioned it a few posts back on this thread), but it is very possible to give constructive criticism without it sounding mean.

d

Last edited by denise on Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is pretty quick on the attack of scot47, but so far he is the only person to give any useful information to the original poster.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: hate Reply with quote

You are all horrid. You hate me and I am going to tell my mummy.
I don't want to play with you any more. So there !
AKA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A range of opinions ain't gonna hurt. We live in different places, in different worlds really, so it's to be expected. If anyone weeps in their cornflakes because scot47 said something horrid, they probably should stay in their Mum's basement. [Why is it so many TEFLers seemed to exist "there" before coming "here"?].
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: ????????/@#%$^&!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

"Why is it so many TEFLers seemed to exist "there" before coming "here"?"

Could you explain ? Please ? Pretty please ?

(You now see the new, caring, touchy-feelly Scot47)
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: ????????/@#%$^&!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Could you explain ? Please ? Pretty please ?

(You now see the new, caring, touchy-feelly Scot47)

Touchy-feely Scot47? Now that's just creepy. Confused

Wink
daveryan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

Confused As a newcomer to the world of TEFL I have found this website of immense help. I have found it particularly helpful to draw on the advice offered by experienced hands including Scott 47. It does however baffle me as to why some of you more experienced teachers insist on treating us 'newbies' in such an objectionable manner.....there really is no need. It is a shame that you allow this to detract from the otherwise valuable contribution that you have to make.

Dave
dyak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: tired Reply with quote

Perhaps a system of fonts or colours for:

Sarcasm
Patronising
Tough love (call it the �Oprah/scott47� font)
The �I�m having a bad day� font
The �posting under the influence� font
The �touchy feely� font (call it the scott47/Oprah font)

Any others?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Our resident curmudgeon Reply with quote

Dear Fellow-Threaders,
How we post on these pages, the stlyes we adopt, is determined, I'd say, largely by our individual personalities and our worldviews. Even if we are only " assuming a persona ", our choice of " mask " is likely revealing in itself. Judging just from scot47's postings that I've read, I'd venture ( a little " armchair psychoanalysis " here ) to guess that he tends to regard the world as ( more or less ) a battleground - which it surely can be - a dog-eat-dog sort of place where you've got to be strong to survive. And considering what most of us do - that is, leave the relative safety and security of " home " and venture out into the wild blue, pretty much on our own - well, I guess that would likely require more gumption than many
possess. Not that it's only or always a harsh, cold place out there, but the chances of its being so, and the fact that we're usually doing a high-wire act without any net, would make it much more probable ( I believe ) that we'd need to be above-average self-relient and tough. If I'm right about scot47, he - like the Drill Instructors at Parris Island - is trying to prepare the " new recruits " for what they may well encounter, and probably trying as well to " weed out " those who are likely unsuited for the vicissitudes and uncertainties of this field. As I mentioned before, I don't always share his " style ", nor do I always agree with what he says or how he puts it. But I do think scot47's postings add a lot to these boards and I, for one, would find Dave's Cafe much less interesting were he ever to stop writing. My bottom line on this is what I perceive as scot47's motivation and purpose - why he posts as he does. I don't detect any gratuitous nastiness in what he writes, but what I do see is an intent to
make especially newcomers understand just what they may be getting themselves into. In his own admittedly often gruff and irascible way, I see scot47 ( hold onto your hats here ) as a kind of " Catcher in the Rye ".
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: