Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

California Hotel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This geriatric Caledonian was looking for a decent billet in Manama
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone we know?

Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only cybernetically.
zeke0606

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: what? Reply with quote

You guys know that the song 'Hotel California' is about a heroin rehab center, don't you?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr... I don't think so... granted this isn't the greatest source in the world, but it is the story that I have always heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California

Should we now look at the meaning of the Beatle's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? Laughing

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Pedantry police: misplaced apostrophe alert! Reply with quote

The Beatle's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? Funny, I always thought there were four members of the Fab Four. Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever noticed that English teachers are a pain in the ass? Laughing

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: No pain, no gain. Reply with quote

Guilty as charged, ma'am! Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heroin ? I never did. Drink was my downfall. But I am sober today. I had a long battle with the booze before I put the bottle down. Last time I had a drink was on Easter Sunday 1990.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apparently don't have the genetic tendency towards addiction. Thank goodness!! Drink never appealed and always bothered my stomach. I quit smoking cold turkey from 3 packs a day... back in the 1970's when EVERYONE smoked everywhere. You would sit in an office working with the smoke so thick you could barely see across the room.

VS
lall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Genetics Reply with quote

Me and my (far-fetched) theories about genetics, again. Apologies before-hand, once again, lest anybody should feel offended.

Though I've noticed leanings towards Ol' Lady Nicotine amongst certain races (not to mention political leanings and love of certain sport among sub-races among races), I've personally not come across any disposition among races towards alcohol, the stories I've heard about the Irish and the Russians, notwithstanding.

I've noticed a particular thing, though. The earlier one begins smoking or using baccy in any form, the harder it is to give up (as if nobody knew that!). However, I've seen die-hard smokers quitting after around the age of 40, without difficulty. These were the same ones who'd wake up a fellow-smoker or rouse the local tobacconist at 3 am in the morning for cigarettes. And, no, they didn't have any life-threatening issues that prompted them to stop.

Wonder if the body says enough is enough.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From observation and reading I am convinced thatt here is a genetic predisposition to alcohol addiction. If you have Celtic, Norse or Native american genes, be careful !
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: The hard stuff Reply with quote

By Norse, are you referring to the Lapps?
I'd say the common factor was they've all been shafted by Anglo-Saxon colonists: kicked off the land, marginalised, treated as inferior beings, you name it. The fate of the Aborigines is a prime example. It's enough to drive anyone to drink.
lall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Music hath charm to soothe the savage breast. Reply with quote

Quote:
(never liked the King... preferred Pitney and Vinton... ...a bit too young perhaps?)

Me neither. Grew up on a diet of Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Beatles, Queen, Cliff Richard and The Shadows, Eagles, Englebert, Nana Mouskouri, Linda Rondstadt, Freddy Fender, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass............ and strangely, two pop bands (Pussycat and Silver Convention) whose covers the band played during my first dance ever with a girl my age, at that time.

Somehow, Elvis didn't, at that time, appeal to me. Yet, his songs were the ones that kept me company in Egypt as they were among the few that an acquaintance downloaded for me.

I played lead guitar for a small group during my teenage years and later played for the church choir.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like Walter Mitty.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Norse" ? I meant 'Northmen' Scandinavians. Mind you Finns seem to have that gene in abundance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: