Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some advice here
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
balboni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, NCTBA.....we currently live in Kansas City, Missouri, but my wife got her elementary education degree in Chicago. The problem is that she is pretty busy with school from now until May. It would depend on what she needs to do to get accredited, but I just don't know if she would have the time to do that before we leave.

Being new to the international teaching world, I just don't know the difference between a "real" international school and the other kind. Can you maybe give a few examples of "real" schools that would be ideal targets for an entry level teacher?

Cockroaches...ok. Well, fine. I'll just have to put up with them....I guess they are better than spiders. But now you're gonna come back at me with the "spider post," I'm sure. Sigh.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear balboni,
Actually, the spiders are your friends; they eat the cockroaches (but I hope you have no small pets.)
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balboni wrote:
....I guess they are better than spiders. But now you're gonna come back at me with the "spider post," I'm sure. Sigh.

That made me laugh out loud. Laughing My mother was deathly afraid of spiders, so I was the official spider 'killer' from the time I could walk. Fortunately that means that I have no fear of them. But I rarely saw spiders in Egypt. I had a couple tiny ones that were 'pets' in Oman... or rather we co-existed and shared the housing without interfering with each other's lifestyles.

Hey John... it would take a spider big enough to scare me to get the roaches I had in Egypt. They were mostly those big flying ones... make a horrible squish and mess when you stomp 'em.

VS
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balboni: Have yer wife check with the state ed board as to what it will require to be certiied. States differ. Some won't require anything. Others will require that you take a course in the state's history. Still others will require that you gain credits in further education. I had to give up my state cert (Michigan) as its requirements are quite strict as to continual improvement. I have, but as the States are still quite egocentric, anything out of the country is discounted and since I've been out for two decades, well...

You seem within easy striking distance from the Uni of Northern Iowa in Waterloo. Might I suggest that you explore that option (not discounting the others) whilst you better (?) half checks into certification requirements? And, if you go, might I suggest you dress warmly? It's held in the wintertime...and Iowa can be VERY cold in the winter with nothing to stop the wind with it's flat land.

NCTBA
nstick13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended The Ohio State University and did not know they had an international schools hiring fair. They do have a Master's program for TESOL though, I believe. For other randoms reading this thread--OSU has a newly renovated library (incredible) and in early 2010 will be opening a new student union. Oh, and we do play football on occasion (though not for the last 7 minutes this past Saturday).... I digress....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that this helps the poster:

www.globalopps.org/Associates/jobfairs.htm

nstick13, you'll see that OSU is included...

NCTBA
balboni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is very helpful....thanks, guys and girls.
balboni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question about Cairo...what is the accessibility of high-speed internet?

I am looking to do some freelance writing while there, but I would need pretty much constant access to the internet in order to get it done.

I'm sure I can find a cafe or something with the net for my laptop, but is it difficult/expensive to get a relatively high-speed connection in a cheaper apartment?
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get high speed internet one of three ways: with a wire strung from a nearby internet cafe, with a wire strung from the "switch" (although it's not really a "switch," they just call it that) inside of your apartment building, or by having it installed by a local provider. The first two options shouldn't cost more than 30 LE/month plus the cost of the wire. The second depends on what you're willing to pay for (i.e., unlimited use, bandwidth speed). Wireless options are few, expensive, and not reliable.

About those cockroaches: Egypt is in Africa. True, you're not likely to see an elephant stampede anytime soon, however living in Africa means living with nature more than watching it. Cockroaches? Easily held at bay by not feeding/watering them. Same with the ants while they're above ground during the warmer months. The ants are more troublesome, however, because quite like termites they chew through buildings causing them to weaken and, eventually, collapse.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back JC... been on leave? I was hoping you would show up for the internet question as this is something that changes regularly. Is the internet running through the phone lines or separate. Because so many flats you have a shared phone line. When I was there last, I could have tapped into AUC's system through the phone, but the person I shared the phone with was the landlord and he said no.

What kind of speed are we talking about these days?

VS
(and yes... the ant battle can be something!! Finding their entrance is key.)
justcolleen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Welcome back JC... been on leave? I was hoping you would show up for the internet question as this is something that changes regularly. Is the internet running through the phone lines or separate. Because so many flats you have a shared phone line. When I was there last, I could have tapped into AUC's system through the phone, but the person I shared the phone with was the landlord and he said no.

What kind of speed are we talking about these days?

VS
(and yes... the ant battle can be something!! Finding their entrance is key.)

The internet runs through both cable and telephone, depending on the individual situation. Not all rented flats have telephone lines, or an available line to tap into, nor are they close enough to a net cafe to have access through one of those.

Speed depends on what someone's willing to pay for. Phone line: cheap and slow. From a net cafe: cheap, slow, prone to outages. With a cable from a building's switch: cheap, with a little bit of speed. With a rented modem: cheap to expensive, slow to pretty fast, billed by the "meg" and desired speed.

Do not even consider wireless - there's too much cement in Egypt.

[/from an undisclosed location Wink]
egyptfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of tapping into the Internet cafe line, though I'm quite sure it is possible.
If you have a phone line (and the flat won't be up to much if it doesn't have one), you can get one of the main Internet providers to set you set up with a modem and DSL - limited or unlimited. If the flat has already been rented, the previous tenant may have had such a service. If this is the case, I'd suggest you stay with the same provider. I have heard from friends that it is very difficult to switch providers. The new provider will not connect until the original one 'releases' the line. It is Egypt and this could take a long time, or so friends have said!
One provider is TEdata

http://www.tedata.net/web/eg/en/default.aspx?sec=3&pr=2

I have heard Vodafone do both a dsl land line service and a mobile USB stick modem / dongle if you want to use a laptop on the move. Not sure how reliable it is. You might also want to get a mobile phone sim card, so a one-stop shop like Vodafone might be worth considering.

http://www.vodafone.com.eg/en/Personal/index.htm

Happy surfing

PS: Just looking at these websites, you need to have or know your land line number before applying for or checking if the dsl service is available in your area / building
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in another post, I currently use Etisalat USB internet. it's 150LE a month for "unlimited" which I believe is actually 6 gigs /month. The nice thing, however, is if you go over the 5 gigs, you don't get billed extra, it just slows down. I'm on the internet a lot and have never gone over the 6 gigs, however, if you download a lot of movies you might have a problem.

I live on the 1st floor and don't have any problems with it. Skype isn't great...but works well enough. The best thing about it is that I've taken it all over Egypt and only lose the signal in very rural spots.
egyptfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds ideal as I go in and out of Egypt a lot and will be spending more time there in the future.
How much did it cost to set up initially i.e. usb modem etc.
I already have a sim free modem but assume one will have to take the Etisalat modem?
Can you pay the sub on line or how do you pay monthly?
Thanks
PS: can you subscribe and unsubscribe on a montky basis or is it a running contract
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have an "unlocked" USB modem, you can probably just get the sim to go in it. I didn't have one, so I bought mine through Etisalat and it only cost 99 LE. That was it. Once you put the USB in your computer it recognizes it and automatically installs. I have used it on multiple computers without a problem. There is no other set up fee. You simply pay for whatever plan you choose after that.

They have different plans. I don't have a contract. I just pay monthly...but usually pay 3 months or so ahead to cut down on how often I have to pay.

I don't know if you can set up an account online or stop and start etc.

I know someone else who lives in Dahab who ended up going with Vodafone because she wanted to be able to have a "pay as you" go USB, since she travels in and out of the country and Vodafone is a bigger company, so more accessible for her.

The downside to Vodafone is that if you get a monthly plan, there is no way to monitor how many gigs you have used (I believe you get 5), so if you go over, you will get a huge bill without warning.

I don't know if Etisalat offers "pay as you go". The Vodafone USB is locked though, so you can't use it with any other company.

You'll have to contact the two companies and see which is best for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: