Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Korea itching for war
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
Since the recent troubles between the two Koreas began, I've started rethinking about working in South Korea.

I don't want to teach and then end up in a nuked landscape.

Sad

Laughing

You have a much better chance of getting killed in California Shocked (including nuked, home invasion, murdered, or just simple road rage) than you do in South Korea.

Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:

Laughing

You have a much better chance of getting killed in California Shocked (including nuked, home invasion, murdered, or just simple road rage) than you do in South Korea.

At least, I don't have to worry about a nuke-armed madman across the border.

I only have to worry about gangs and earthquakes.

Wink
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the nukes in your backyard.

Think about it in another way, NK's are starving. In most media it is blamed on the NK government, but who has put sanctions on that country for the last, what like, 50 years. Sanctions have never and will never cause political change. They just hurt the people who they are claiming to help. We use to call it siege warfare, starve they enemy, and anyone under his control. I am not saying they are a great bunch of people, but come on. It wouldn't take much to change things if the leaders of most of the world were not itching for war Exclamation
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:

Think about it in another way, NK's are starving. In most media it is blamed on the NK government, but who has put sanctions on that country for the last, what like, 50 years. Sanctions have never and will never cause political change. They just hurt the people who they are claiming to help. We use to call it siege warfare, starve they enemy, and anyone under his control. I am not saying they are a great bunch of people, but come on. It wouldn't take much to change things if the leaders of most of the world were not itching for war Exclamation

What you said just proves my point. Teaching in South Korea could be a bit risky.

The sinking of a South Korean ship and the attack on a South Korean island demonstrates the seriousness of the situation. One more incident may result in all-out war.

Of course, we could bury our heads in the sand and pretend it does not exist.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
wangdaning wrote:

What you said just proves my point. Teaching in South Korea could be a bit risky.

The sinking of a South Korean ship and the attack on a South Korean island demonstrates the seriousness of the situation. One more incident may result in all-out war.

Of course, we could bury our heads in the sand and pretend it does not exist.

You have been watching too much CNN or FOX.

There is a far greater risk of being attacked and killed by an al-Qaeda nuke while you are in California than there is of a serious attack on South Korea by the North. (the north has recently been making advances to re-open the border to S. Koreans to go there for vacations again.)

There are currently MORE attacks on US citizens (DAILY) from Mexico than there have been between the 2 Koreas since the end of the Korean War.

Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:

There is a far greater risk of being attacked and killed by an al-Qaeda nuke while you are in California than there is of a serious attack on South Korea by the North. (the north has recently been making advances to re-open the border to S. Koreans to go there for vacations again.)

There are currently MORE attacks on US citizens (DAILY) from Mexico than there have been between the 2 Koreas since the end of the Korean War.

I'm not saying that every ESL teacher should panic and flee South Korea immediately.

I may return to the Philippines in a couple of months. If I fly on Asiana Airlines, I will be stopping over in Seoul. This very prospect excites me. Landing in another country where you've never been before, no matter how briefly, is fun and adventurous. (If war breaks out between North and South while I'm there, I'll just deal with it.)

Of course, forewarned is forearmed.

Cool
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:
Since the recent troubles between the two Koreas began, I've started rethinking about working in South Korea.

I don't want to teach and then end up in a nuked landscape.

Sad

Laughing

Agreed. I was just in San Jose a month ago and scared out of my mind. Korea is safe. What's crazy unsafe is the fact that people believe everything they hear on the media. Korea's the second safest county I've lived in . China is the first.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
tttompatz wrote:

There are currently MORE attacks on US citizens (DAILY) from Mexico than there have been between the 2 Koreas since the end of the Korean War..

I'm not saying that every ESL teacher should panic and flee South Korea immediately.

I may return to the Philippines in a couple of months. If I fly on Asiana Airlines, I will be stopping over in Seoul. This very prospect excites me. Landing in another country where you've never been before, no matter how briefly, is fun and adventurous. (If war breaks out between North and South while I'm there, I'll just deal with it.)

Of course, forewarned is forearmed. Cool

The Phillipines are FAR more dangerous then Korea. I don't know anyone who's upped and left Korea because of the attacks. Seriously, they're nothing to worry about. I teach uni kids who have to serve in the military next year. If THEY?RE not worried, why should I be? Sign up for the US embassy warning list. You'll see. It's smoke and mirrors. Perfectly safe here. YOu're more likely to be screwed out of your payment than nuked. Honestly, look at the world today. Sure, they've been at war for over 60 years, but can you imagine an all out war in a first world country? When has that last happened?! It would cause utter caos. If anything, there will be a peaceful reunification.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
tttompatz wrote:

Laughing

Agreed. I was just in San Jose a month ago and scared out of my mind. Korea is safe. What's crazy unsafe is the fact that people believe everything they hear on the media. Korea's the second safest county I've lived in . China is the first.

China is the safest country?

I'm glad you had a wonderful and uneventful time in China. But no country is completely safe.

Another member was assaulted in China recently: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=39633&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Again, forewarned is forearmed.

Neutral

Last edited by Captain_Fil on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

The Philippines is FAR more dangerous than Korea. I don't know anyone who's upped and left Korea because of the attacks. Seriously, there is nothing to worry about. I teach uni kids who have to serve in the military next year. If THEY'RE not worried, why should I be? Sign up for the US embassy warning list. You'll see. It's smoke and mirrors. Perfectly safe here. You're more likely to be screwed out of your payment than nuked. Honestly, look at the world today. Sure, they've been at war for over 60 years, but can you imagine an all out war in a first world country? When has that last happened?! It would cause utter chaos. If anything, there will be a peaceful reunification.

NEWS FLASH!

North Korea threatens to attack South Korea: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703796504576169571192518708.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLTopStories
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captain_Fil,

"North Korea threatens to attack South Korea"

Wow - that makes it six million and one times.

The little country that cried "WOLF!"

Regards,
John
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Captain_Fil,

"North Korea threatens to attack South Korea"

Wow - that makes it six million and one times.

The little country that cried "WOLF!"

Regards,
John

I hope you're right, John.

I may teach in South Korea someday.

Regards,
CF
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
China is the safest country?

I'm glad you had a wonderful and uneventful time in China. But no country is completely safe.

China is the safest country I?VE lived in. It woudl be Korea, except they put hot water on the steps in the winter to melt the ice . People could get assaulted anywhere.

Captain_Fil wrote:
North Korea threatens to attack South Korea: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703796504576169571192518708.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLTopStories

Not much of a news flash. You do realise that the US gets HUNDREDS of threats a day, right?

Like you said, no country is safe. BUt I'm willing to bet that the US is one of the UNSAFEST ones.

You've never lived outside of the US, have you? I've lived in 6 countries plus the US. the US was the second most unsafe country, according to me Smile
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captain_Fil,

Well, while there's no denying that the "Great Leader" Kim Jong-il is a whacko, I'd say it's highly improbable that he's a whacko with a compulsive death wish.

And, even if he is, I think it's also highly improbable that the military - who would get to push the button - have compulsive death wishes for themselves and their families, either.

Dear naturegirl321,

I've lived in five, been in two wars (one as a participant, the other as a Scudded spectator) and one revolution.
The good old US gets my vote as "most dangerous" - far, far too many bozos running around with firearms.

Regards,
John
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

The Philippines is FAR more dangerous than Korea. I don't know anyone who's upped and left Korea because of the attacks. Seriously, there is nothing to worry about. I teach uni kids who have to serve in the military next year. If THEY'RE not worried, why should I be? Sign up for the US embassy warning list. You'll see. It's smoke and mirrors. Perfectly safe here. You're more likely to be screwed out of your payment than nuked. Honestly, look at the world today. Sure, they've been at war for over 60 years, but can you imagine an all out war in a first world country? When has that last happened?! It would cause utter chaos. If anything, there will be a peaceful reunification.

NEWS FLASH!

This has been a weekly occurrence since 1960.

They do the same thing every time S.Korea and the US hold joint exercises.

About 5 years ago they were claiming daily that they would turn Seoul into a boiling nuclear firestorm. Then they held out their hands for economic aid (food and fuel) for a starving population. Me thinks this is just more of the same.

Definitely too much US news sensationalism happening there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: