Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethiopia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmews

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Amharic Reply with quote

I did study Amharic. Had a teacher come to my house each week. He was an older man, and he used to teach people at the US Embassy. He was excellent. There were three of us and we split the cost, which ended up being about 20-30 birr each for an hour lesson (about $4.00 US). Most teachers will come to your house --and it's alot easier. I assume you are teaching school in Addis? If so, you will have contact with lots of teachers and they will know people, or perhaps they themselves will teach you.

Anyhow, I will write to one of my fellow teachers and see if I can get the contact info. for the teacher I had. I think it was something like Ato Makonnen. Ato means Mister.
treepic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll find out once I'm there but I was just curious to know what the typical approach is. I like that idea of someone coming to my house.
Treepic
in a lil while

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15,000 birr is almost 2,000 USD right? Why is it so expensive (relatively) to live in Addis?
How much is typical housing in Addis for a foreigner?
I apologize for my ignorance.

Tamara
hardingl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Addis for 6 months with only accomodation paid for and my 10 year old daughter and I lived quite comfortably on 1000birr per month. We had a few luxuries like weekly swims at the Hilton, ate out once a week, had soft drink, sweets etc - much the same as at home.

We really loved Ethiopia, the people, the food, the customs and culture and felt safe most ofthe time.

We are going back in July for another 4-6 month stay.
Sadken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it best to have a job lined up beforehand or to come out and look? Whereabouts are the jobs advertised?

I harbour dreams of teaching in every inhabited continent and Ethiopia seems like a decent bet to take care of Africa.
Mikhai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it relatively easy to find a job in Ethiopia with pay?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hardingl

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Teaching in Ethiopia Reply with quote

It is reasonably easy to get a job in Addis. There are several English schools and there are a few other non-govt jobs going. the issue as always is getting the right visa. If you enter on a visitors visa you will need to get your employer to issue you a work permit and visa otherwise you can be asked to leave the country with only a few days warning - and yes I know someone who was asked (told) to leave because she was working without the correct papers.
bopdjen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if you can get into Ethiopia on a one way ticket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: