Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are all the jobs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gee, like wow man..

So I went to astro.com, where I already (rather conveniently) had an account and looked up the best places for me. None of the places where I have felt a) called to and b) subsequently had a fantastically brilliant time turned up as being remotely good for me...

But, thank crikeys, the full moon is not far away, there's plenty of cats around my place, and I'll be able to go up on the roof and consult their intestines..

The process I am going through just now to decide my next destination involves lots of internet research, thinking about what I really want from my life, and asking the opinion of trusted loved ones. Getting credible information and then choosing from the list of places that I have initially felt called to is gradually helping me to make a rational, well balanced decision.

Oh, and I'm sure Medellin might fit your desires, ls650, but I have been advised by Colombians that its often unsafe to travel off the beaten path in Colombia..

Lozwich.

Last edited by lozwich on Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astro.com?s astrocartography section is not incompatible with rationality--in fact it supports it. I didn't get my PhD from a box of Cracker Jacks, nor did my other well-traveled academic friends (mostly scientists, by the way) who have also used it as part of their decision-making process. At the risk of sounding personal, you are the one asking for advice--not me. I have given you my best advice on this thread, and have also explained why the world is not beating a path to your door with juicy job offers. Maybe it's time for you to start making your own decisions, instead of complaining about the way others are advising you?

P.S. I did not suggest Medellin--in fact on other threads in this forum I have suggested that only the most intrepid, well-traveled folks with excellent Spanish should consider Colombia. Not only do you expect me to make your decisions for you, but you invent ones that I would never suggest.
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ow, moonraven..

In my humble defence, I wasn't asking for advice either. I was simply responding to naturgirl and ls650's posts with a little empathy, because I'm currently deciding on my next location too. By reading this thread I came to the conclusion that they were wanting constructive suggestions of locations, based on certain criteria (like not liking nightlife so much, but wanting to go hiking etc in spare time). I think it was khmerit who suggested Medellin, and at no point did I suggest you did.

Lozwich.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I coundn't get through to astrocom or whatever it is called, which is a shame as i could use the advice of a good astrology expert.

Sigh--where to go, where to go. Lozwich, your idea of consulting the augurs of a cat's intestines isn't bad. I think I would prefer to haruspicate a dog, however, as dogs are pissing me off these days.

As for Medellin, obviously I dont know for certain what it's like, but shebab lived there for some time and he said it was great.

There's always Cambodia! It's perfectly safe these days. Not as fun since the denizens of Phnom Penh stopped firing their machine guns at swollen rainclouds.

I have a feeling Colombia is an intersting place to be these days.

Just my tuppenceworth..
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's, well, interesting and all Cool , but back to the original question...

Where _are_ all the jobs? What's a location in Latin America that I can go where I will likely be able to find teaching work quickly, and enjoy the great outdoors?
MELEE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are all the jobs? Reply with quote

ls650 wrote:

I've applied to whatever jobs in Latin America I do see show up on the Internet but they seem to be few and far between - and the most of the schools I do apply to seem to be uninterested in replying.

I thought I'd back up a bit here because I think both Ls and naturgirl have a legitimate concern and we got a bit sidetracked in addressing it. Maybe my story will help.

Many years (6.5 Surprised !) have passed since I left Japan and things have changed since then, so keep that in mind when reading the following. Like both ls and naturegirl have mentioned, I also was not comfortable "just turning up in a country" without having something arranged before hand. Partly because that is a big step, but also in a large part because I didn't want to give my poor parents heartattacks. They have been very supportative of my choices, but as a young adult, I always proved to them that my actions were well thought out and that I had a plan, A, B, and C in case of emergancies. But I digress.

I started looking for jobs in Mexico from Japan. Back in those days, most sites had free postings for schools and there were a lot more jobs in Latin America on the internet than there are now. I applied to several from Japan and got no response. Later, when I got here, I saw that applicants not in their home country or in Mexico, were often dismissed, because it was thought to be too difficult to arrange for their arrival. (for example, a telephone interview would cost more and time differences would be more complicated, or the applicant might want to go home first for a couple of weeks and that would delay their arrival--most jobs are arranged on pretty short notice, Latin Americans aren't much for planning months in advance.)

So I went back to the US and enjoyed Christmas, intent on starting the internet search again after New Years. I wasn't working and was at my parents' house in the country so I was able to dedicate a lot of time to job hunting on the internet. I also got a lot more responses. So, possibly you haven't got any replies because your still in Jakarta. Confused

It took me six weeks to get something lined up. I had two job offers working for peanuts, one in Mexico City, and the other in Cuenca, Ecuador. (I had broadened my search to all of Spanish speaking Latin America.) The Cuenca job was a bit more attractive, but I'd lived there before going to Japan, and wanted to try someplace new. There was this job I hadn't heard back from in the state of Oaxaca, with MUCH better pay. Before accepting another position, I decided to write to that job again, to see if they'd made their decision... Turns out, they hadn't "heard" from me, and still had the position open. (turns out they had loads of applicants and lots who would back out eventually, so they gaged people's interest by only replying to second inquiries!) Two days later we had a telephone interview and two days after that, I recieved a job offer.

I left Japan on December 15th. I arrived in Mexico on February 19th.

So the moral of my story is, there is a trade off. You can find a job before hand, but it will take time, (and many say time is money) or you can just turn up and start looking in which case you will be spending money going around looking, or you can pay someone to find you a job. Maybe in the end the three cost the same????? who knows.

Happy hunting!
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MELEE. I actually do have a "plan B": if I can't arrange anything by say early August or so, I'll pick up a used vehicle (maybe a camper van) and drive down from Vancouver south into Mexico - maybe to Oaxaca or further south. If I find a location I like I'll look around for TEFL work.

If I find teaching work, that's great; otherwise when I start to run low on cash I'll head back to Vancouver and then find work in China (there's always work in China!)

Still, it would be nice to have a destination lined up... Smile
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: finally something useful to say.. Reply with quote

Hey ls650,

I'm guessing you're from Canada (or just like Vancouver?? Wink ), so the money amounts I'm about to give you should be roughly the same. In December 02 - January 03 I travelled in Mexico as a sweaty backpacker. I mainly stayed in youth hostels, but I ate out for almost every meal, and always travelled on first class buses. The whole trip (not counting one crazy impulse airfare) cost around $AU2500 in travelling expenses. This included visiting museums, ruins etc, but not souvenirs, because I'm just not that kind o girl. Cool

So, its possible to do it cheaper, but that's roughly how much cash you'll need to be here for a while. The Oz dollar is about equal to the Canadian one.

Also, you might want to check out the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree.. Its a forum, and has lots of travellers information about the whole planet, including a specific section for Mexico.

Mexico has a diverse range of geography, flora and fauna, so it also has lots of ocean, different kinds of forest, and mountains. I'm sure its possible to find what you're after here. Places I've enjoyed most are the rainforests in the state of Veracruz, close to Xalapa, the pine forests in the Copper Canyon in the north of Mexico, the entire Yucatan peninsula (because I lurrrve hot, humid, tropics), the mountains here in the state of Oaxaca, although they're a lot drier than some pine forests I know. My favourite cities are (from north to south) Zacatecas, Guanajuato, DF, Oaxaca, Xalapa and Merida. They all have different charms, and I believe, are worth checking out.

Hope this helps! Cool
Have a good day,
Lozwich.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My favourite cities are (from north to south) Zacatecas, Guanajuato, DF, Oaxaca, Xalapa and Merida. They all have different charms, and I believe, are worth checking out.

- Lozwich

Very Happy Wink
hesterprynne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: driving in mexico Reply with quote

I would use public transportation in Mexico. I think driving there is an invitation to get "the bite" from police officers.
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: driving in mexico Reply with quote

hesterprynne wrote:
I would use public transportation in Mexico. I think driving there is an invitation to get "the bite" from police officers.

I've toured a couple of times through Mexico by motorcycle, and I never had any problems with police.
hesterprynne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: the bite Reply with quote

I lived close to mexico for a while and hung out there a lot- saw a lot of motorists getting hassled, but there was no hassle on the bus. the hassle did not seem to be limited to non-mexicans
MELEE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think once you get away from the boarder you shouldn't have any problems.

Both buses and private vehicles are great ways to travel around Mexico, each gives you such a different experience.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mordida routine has really dwindled a lot during the past couple of years in the city where I live, especially involving minor infractions. I think that might be due at least in part to making the process of paying fines easier, faster, and less bureaucratic. (Fines for minor infractions can be paid in any bank.)

I've heard that mordidas are still rather common near many of the popular night spots at closing time, but I can't speak to that from personal experience. Also, if an uninsured driver is involved in an accident and doesn't want his car impounded, he'll probably end up paying some money to the police officers who show up at the accident and a greater sum to the other driver if he/she is insured.

I've been driving here for about 8 years and have only been stopped once: illegal U-turn on an avenida a couple of blocks from my house, where the No U-Turn sign was well hidden up in the leafy branches of a tree. I pointed out to the patrolman -- in an extremely respectful and polite way, I might add -- that if there was indeed a sign there, it would be next to impossible to see it. I wasn't given a ticket, and there was no hint of wanting a mordida. It's a place where everyone coming into our neighborhood from that direction makes a U-Turn, which I also pointed out, and less than a week later the sign was removed.

I've never noticed that foreign drivers are hassled more than locals by policemen here, but then again, the percentage of foreigners driving in this city is miniscule. (The percentage of people driving here who lack adequate driving skills is far from miniscule, however.) It's not common to see police stop drivers here, and when they do, it seems to be for a legitimate reason (driving at very excessive speed, blatantly running a red light, running over people in a marked pedestrian crossing, etc.)
moonraven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you drive down the coast as far as Oaxaca State--there are three campuses of the Universidad del Mar on the coast: Huatulco, Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido. They all have language departments, and one of them may well be looking for someone to start in September. I don't recommend living conditions in PA, but if you have a vehicle you could live in Mazunte, which is cleaner.

I do not recommend coastal university spots in Jalisco State--know of some folks who didn't get paid....

For the person who was "pissed off" by dogs lately, and who could use the advice of a good astrologer--I suggest not "pissing off" either dogs or astrologers as a prudent strategy....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: