Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visas in Ecuador..LONG, warning!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Okay.. Reply with quote

In mid sized cities--nothing too big, small or touristy-- there are language schools on every corner. I would guess that about 70% will hire you on the spot!

In Ecuador and Peru they'll probably offer you 700/month, but keep in mind the average salary for an ESL teacher is 1000/month..so if you have no experience or a masters you can negotiate up to 900; with some experience expect to make 1200. Jobs posted online (of which, admittedly there are very few) do only offer an average salary of about 450/month. That is because they are so desperate for teachers; they can't hire teachers locally because they don't pay market salaries. (Don't be fooled by the fact that schools that post online are typically larger chain schools or K-12 private schools; online job offers are still half of the standard market salaries for teachers.) Schools that you approach directly will pay you the fair market value for teachers. Although job hunting this way always carries some risk, the odds of any school lying about your salary, the hours they want you or anything else about the job (if they can get you a visa or health insurance) are quite low. You can be typically sure a job you take is trustworthy--but if you have any doubts, just go to the next job... you should have 3-4 offers within a few weeks! Universities pay well, often hire random native speakers who ask for work right away, and don't require a masters or experience.

Do keep in mind that in Ecuador you'll get hired for about 11 dollars an hour for 25 contact hours rather than for an average salary of 100/month..this is because "salaried contracts" are illegal for ESL teachers.

Do you worry that if you are paid hourly and classes don't happen you won't get paid? Don't.. you'll be paid for 100 contact hours a month regardless. Do get yourself a personal visa before coming in to Ecuador..that way you can start working legally right away; schools often pay you back for that cost--especially if you work for them for at least 6 months. Don't expect to pay anything for out of pocket costs for class materials..and if jobs don't mention a travel reimbursement, just ask..they'll do that; it will be a small amount for them anyway.

It isn't dangerous to just move to a country where you don't speak the language alone--especially in Latin America, because the whole region is very safe (OH: and for the younger partiers, using drugs is safe and legal, too)-- nor is it at all hard to job hunt, find apartments or do things you'll need to do for daily life like get to grocery stores or set up bank accounts. (The bank I went to needed me to provide reference letters, but so what? If one bank says that, find another bank. But that's not even a real issue, since you'll be working within a week and the school will give you the references that you need.)

Have you read or heard anything confusing about work visas? Just chill..the culture is laid back here! All language schools can get one; there isn't any hassle for anyone involved. Just don't get uppity about the process; trust anyone who will keep your passport for processing.

Some jobs that hire directly from abroad will have red flags. For example a job that I was offered (but didn't take) in Chile wanted me to complete 2 weeks of totally unpaid training--i.e. not even room and board was covered--and said that if I failed the teaching demonstration after training they wouldn't be able to offer me a contract. Another said if you quit early or were fired for any reason you had to pay them 500 for breaking the contract.. when I asked "Of course we all hope this would never happen (!!) but what if my father dies?" and they said "we would consider what we would do if that happened". But if you are hired in country these issues won't affect you.

Are you in your early 30s and looking for a "lifer" gig--like what you see in Korea, the Middle East or Japan--but you want to live in a laid back culture? Look no further than Latin America! Due to the great salaries and professional work culture here you see many young people who move here for for life. If you get stuck in a bad job it is your fault. They do exist-- but only because naive people take them not knowing that most jobs here are well paid and treat teachers 100% professionally.

If you want to believe this, fine. Get on a plane and have fun.

If you actually do want to go to Latin America right now--and I have never said I don't recommend coming here!!-- then look into volunteer programs or paid Spanish classes. You might well even get a perfectly decent part time paid job to help you pay for your trip if you do that.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do get yourself a personal visa before coming in to Ecuador..that way you can start working legally right away;

Huh? What is a "personal visa"?

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(OH: and for the younger partiers, using drugs is safe and legal, too)--

Ummmmmm . . . Do you really want to make such a blanket statement? Especially since it is misleading, and in many cases downright false?

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gringa, on Friday, 10/10/14, you said:
Quote:

If you don't have a masters and experience, a standard salary in Ecuador and Peru is about 400-450 a month; other places (Chile, Costa Rica, etc.) will pay somewhat more,

But in Saturday, 10/11/14, you say:
Quote:

In Ecuador and Peru they'll probably offer you 700/month, but keep in mind the average salary for an ESL teacher is 1000/month..so if you have no experience or a masters you can negotiate up to 900; with some experience expect to make 1200.

I cannot understand the contradiction here, posted only one day apart. Surely salaries did not change so much overnight? I have to say that I find these posts confusing.

HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:

I cannot understand the contradiction here, posted only one day apart. Surely salaries did not change so much overnight? I have to say that I find these posts confusing.

Gringa is trying to be sarcastic. Unfortunately, it´s not really working because her ´sarcastic´post is far closer to the truth than her usual ramblings. (Except for the very odd statement about drugs, although perhaps that offers something of an explanation).
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
Xie Lin wrote:

Gringa is trying to be sarcastic. Unfortunately, it´s not really working because her ´sarcastic´post is far closer to the truth than her usual ramblings. (Except for the very odd statement about drugs, although perhaps that offers something of an explanation).

Oh, such a sucker I am! Ah, well, sarcasm--highly overrated by its users. I've had a few friends/colleagues who worked in Ecuador over the years, and their salaries were without exception in, or very close to, the sarcastic range. Smile

lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Actual salaries.. Reply with quote

Argentina:
Learner's Institute Las, Heras
airfare, visa, room and board
promised 400/month but only paid half of that

Mexico:
The Tec de Monterrey system DID at one time well--but they required a masters in a content area (i.e. you couldn't just have an MA in ESL..you needed an MBA, a masters in English or sociology, etc.). (The salary varied based on which tec and your experience.) But look at Tec de Monterrey in the Mexico forum now.

United English:
About 550 a month, but they don't pay you anyway. They told me they paid the visa, but when I mentioned I needed it soon they just pooh poohed me.

Costa Rica:
Idioma Internacional: 6 dollars an hour
500 plus room and board for one specific that was contracted through a hotel; the hotel put up and fed teachers. It lasted less than a year.

English2go: I am not sure of the salary, but they told me if I wanted a full time job to look into Asia.

Chile:
Bridgetec.. the name might not be quite right
10 an hour, but you attend unpaid training for 2 weeks--plus Chile has a high cost of living for Latin America.

Peru:
salaries in local currency of 10 soles/an hour.. at about 3.15 when I was there. It's more in dollars now, but only because the value of the dollar dropped:
Extreme English
a small mom and pop school whose name I forget
This, to be fair, was a decent wage for the city (Arequipa)..but only if you got 40 hours/week.

Maximo Nivel Cusco (also requires unpaid training with room and board only partially covered).

Loja, Ecuador:
4.50/hour:
Colegio Iberroamericano, which is the most expensive K-12 private school in the city.
Canadian House
Fined Tuned English
Washington English (They did offer me more as a native speaker..but guess what? They lied.)
Speak Easy..they might have offered me 5.50. I don't remember because they "hired me" right before a holiday, said they'd call me back but did not.

Private schools sometimes hire teachers as needed for about 120 a month per class.

Cuenca:
CEDEI: a high end starting salary of of 325 a month..if you get kid classes it's less.

Now..where are the jobs paying 1100 a month? It doesn't count if you need to supplement a school's base salary with privates, because privates aren't reliable. It's fine if you work for 2 schools, but if you teach for over 40 hours a week I'm not interested. A university job is fine too..but given that most people reading this don't have masters in non ESL fields it can't require an MA in anything but ESL or maybe English.

Where are the jobs paying 900/month that don't require a master's or experience?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but you are way off for salaries in Peru. Even in podunk towns you would get five bucks an hour. At least.
Ellenita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Organising a 12-IX Ecuadorian visa in the UK. Reply with quote

Hi, if anyone needs up to date information and help on getting an Ecuadorian 12-IX visa in the UK, I've explained everything you need to know on my little website/blog that I'm setting up: www.theminiexplorer.com/preparing-move-abroad/visas

I've just got my visa all sorted and am now in Ecuador for the next 6 months. The website is in progress, and I'm adding things along the way, so please bear with me, but hopefully you'll find the stuff about visas useful! Smile
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Organising a 12-IX Ecuadorian visa in the UK. Reply with quote

Ellenita wrote:
I've just got my visa all sorted and am now in Ecuador for the next 6 months. The website is in progress, and I'm adding things along the way, so please bear with me, but hopefully you'll find the stuff about visas useful! Smile

That's exciting, Ellenita! I'll look forward to reading more about your adventures.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't "just get on a plane" Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:

Now..where are the jobs paying 1100 a month?

lagringalindissima wrote:

Where are the jobs paying 900/month that don't require a master's or experience?

Where are these figures coming from? I said

HLJHLJ wrote:
The legal minimum wage in Ecuador is $340/m. A fresh-off-the-boat newbie should easily be able to earn twice that.

That would be $680/m. In Quito, British School of Language and Lenguatec both start at $800/m for a native speaker with a BA and CELTA. The starting wage goes up with experience and/or additional qualifications. English First pay hourly, but if you work the Saturday AM kids classes (which gives you priority for other, more lucrative classes) you will probably average around $8/hr, again, that's with no experience. So that would be about 25 contact hours to make $800/m.

None of these schools will employ you if they know you use a lot of Spanish in class. All of them will fire you if you are caught doing it.

Even at bottom-of-the-barrel places like Wall St you can earn $5/hr which is equal to $800/m on your declared maximum of 40 teaching hours a week.

At universities, with an English related masters, hourly rates will be around $12-$15/hr. Initially at least, you will have to take hourly work. Employment law here is very much in favour of the employee, so it is very hard to get rid of an employee once they are contracted. As a result, universities will usually want to check you can do the job before they will commit to giving you an actual contract. Once you are contracted, you could expect a monthly wage of $1,200-$1,900/m depending on the university.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Organising a 12-IX Ecuadorian visa in the UK. Reply with quote

Ellenita wrote:
Hi, if anyone needs up to date information and help on getting an Ecuadorian 12-IX visa in the UK, I've explained everything you need to know on my little website/blog that I'm setting up: www.theminiexplorer.com/preparing-move-abroad/visas

Congratulations! It's been a few years since I applied for a 12-IX in the UK, and it sounds like they have simplified things a little. Perhaps you would consider copying your post into a new thread so that it is easier for people to find? It may get a little lost in here, and up-to-date information on visas is always helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: