Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current situation in Erbil Kurdistan???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartago

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Zakho on the border with Turkey and go to Erbil and Duhok from time to time. A few months ago I was working in Sulaymaniyah. I'm not really part of the expat network (well there isn't one in Zakho) except the people who I work with and none of them have any problems with living here or plan to leave and some new people have been coming in.

Zakho is on the border with Turkey but it's also closer to Sinjar and Mosul than Erbil or Sulaymaniyah. Well, I suppose in the case of Erbil they're both roughly equal-distance. There are a really large number of Yazidi refugees, mostly in camps outside the city. I visited a couple of the camps a few days ago and there are thousands of families living there.

I don't live in Erbil so you might want to find someone who has more experience there. Maybe visit couchsurfing. Just from visiting, I haven't noticed it to be so different from before, haven't felt in danger and still see a number of expats in family mall and popular restaurants.
SunnyYacht

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cartago,
Thanks for your input.
Could you please give an update on how you might feel about teaching in Dohuk? I understand you are in Zakho...SP? Which is close to the Turkish border, fleeing ISIS Into Turkey seems like it would be an easy out in case of emergency, but is it really, would ISIS pursue a group of people across the border at that point, how well guarded is it, enough to protect people fleeing ISIS Across that border? I am not trying to make you feel nervous but 17 tourists got killed in Tunisia today by Islamic militants.
i was offered a job in Dohuk but turned it down because in the end, I just couldn't bring myself to make my family worry that much about me.
If western powers put boots on the ground to guard Kurdistan, I'd be there in a flash. but until then, I'm waiting it out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunnyYacht wrote:
I am not trying to make you feel nervous but 17 tourists got killed in Tunisia today by Islamic militants.

i was offered a job in Dohuk but turned it down because in the end, I just couldn't bring myself to make my family worry that much about me.
If western powers put boots on the ground to guard Kurdistan, I'd be there in a flash. but until then, I'm waiting it out.

It's probably best that you wait it out if you're feeling extremely anxious about heading to the region.

By the way, Tunisia is in North Africa---no where near Iraq or the Levant.
SunnyYacht

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nomad, I'm not anxious for myself, just don't want my family to worry about me anymore, been there, done that to them. my point exactly about Tuniisa being far away, just imagine being 50 kilometers from Mosul, with the thin red line of peshmerga holding back ISIS, by the way I'm 55 years old, been to 40 countries and seen things most people would not believe, so I don't bother telling them, wouldn't be anxious about going there, just wouldn't put my family through that.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunnyYacht wrote:
... would ISIS pursue a group of people across the border at that point, how well guarded is it, enough to protect people fleeing ISIS Across that border?

This is a question that no one could answer. You personally have to weigh whether the job is worth the risk. IMHO, for a single person going is probably fine, but I would certainly never take a family into an area like this for the foreseeable future.

If you were referring to family back home, I found that they worried whatever Middle East country I was in... even Oman, which is one of the safest countries in the world for foreigners. Attacks similar to what happened in Tunisia have also happened in the US and the UK... so...

VS
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to say if it's safer or not. You earlier mentioned tourists killed by terrorists. ISIS (let's hope they catch them all, everyone) is just beginning on the pathway to defeat. In desperation they may turn more to terrorist tactics, especially against Westerners in that region.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
SunnyYacht wrote:
... would ISIS pursue a group of people across the border at that point, how well guarded is it, enough to protect people fleeing ISIS Across that border?

This is a question that no one could answer. You personally have to weigh whether the job is worth the risk. IMHO, for a single person going is probably fine, but I would certainly never take a family into an area like this for the foreseeable future.

Attacks similar to what happened in Tunisia have also happened in the US and the UK... so...

Right on, VS. Plus, those who worry may need to be reminded of the violence happening on their home soil.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
It's difficult to say if it's safer or not. You earlier mentioned tourists killed by terrorists. ISIS (let's hope they catch them all, everyone) is just beginning on the pathway to defeat. In desperation they may turn more to terrorist tactics, especially against Westerners in that region.

How can they ALL be captured? This is a war, Islam against the rest, It will continue for longer than anybody on here is alive. Don't believe the apologists who say that ISIS is not an Islamic organization, when it's all over in their favour they will say they supported it all along.
SunnyYacht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
SunnyYacht wrote:

If you were referring to family back home, I found that they worried whatever Middle East country I was in... even Oman, which is one of the safest countries in the world for foreigners. Attacks similar to what happened in Tunisia have also happened in the US and the UK... so...

VS

Obviously this is a question that there is at least part of an answer to, which is, how well it that border protected for your safety, does it have three guards standing out in the middle of nowhere, or is there a battalion of soldiers? Someone there should be able to answer that question, perhaps the school one would be applying to teach at.
As far as to your."..so...."mentality, would honestly feel safer spending a year in let's say ...Taiwan...or in Kurdistan?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably choose Kurdistan to be honest. I've never had the least interest in teaching/living in Taiwan.

As to the guards at the border, questions like that often depend on when you ask. One week it might be a guy with a gun, but no bullets, but these days, I suspect that the border is pretty well guarded. Lots of heavily armed men... but then the question is whether they would risk their lives to save some foreigner. Or whether it would just get you caught in the crossfire.

Let's just say that I wouldn't make my decision based on some stranger's estimation of the quality of border guards in the Middle East.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunnyYacht wrote:
Obviously this is a question that there is at least part of an answer to, which is, how well it that border protected for your safety, does it have three guards standing out in the middle of nowhere, or is there a battalion of soldiers? Someone there should be able to answer that question, perhaps the school one would be applying to teach at. As far as to your."..so...."mentality, would honestly feel safer spending a year in let's say ...Taiwan...or in Kurdistan?

I can't speak for Iraqi Kurdistan, but from my experience, the universities/schools do what they can to ensure the safety of the staff, faculty, and students. However, you need to be realistic in your expectations.

I've taught in two Mid East countries during times of close violence/fighting and frankly, these situations can change as suddenly as the wind---it's very unpredictable. For example, one day the streets can be clear with business as usual. However, in just a matter of hours, heavily-armed soldiers, checkpoints, tanks, and barbed wire are blocking those same streets. Additionally, be aware that when it comes time to get out, you'll be warned with an email alert from your embassy to get yourself out. You cannot rely on your embassy to make arrangements for you; that's not their job, plus, they have more important issues to deal with. Also, nothing's for certain, including how long you'd be able to stay at your job since it may mean leaving in the middle of your contract. I've been there, done that. In both countries I taught in, I was fully aware that the situation was quite volatile and could escalate. I kept my focus on what was going on around me as well as a contingency plan for a quick exit. (I always had a "to-go" bag nearby just in case we had to leave with very short notice.) By the way, I'm a former US Army brat---born and raised overseas; I'm used to funky, unpredictable situations.

Taiwan or Kurdistan? Choose the one that would give you peace of mind.
SunnyYacht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nomad, I really enjoyed and learned something useful from your response, thank you.

Hi VS,
Perhaps I should rephrase the question, it's not about you personally but in all honesty which do you think would be safer as far as terrorist attack ,,,Taiwan or Kurdistan.

I'm watching the eclipse, very rare, with super moon and on the spring equinox, it's on sky news, full coverage.
cartago

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunnyYacht wrote:
Hi Cartago,
Thanks for your input.
Could you please give an update on how you might feel about teaching in Dohuk? I understand you are in Zakho...SP? Which is close to the Turkish border, fleeing ISIS Into Turkey seems like it would be an easy out in case of emergency, but is it really, would ISIS pursue a group of people across the border at that point, how well guarded is it, enough to protect people fleeing ISIS Across that border? I am not trying to make you feel nervous but 17 tourists got killed in Tunisia today by Islamic militants.

Yes I'm in Zakho about 45 minutes drive north of Duhok. I don't think ISIS would be able to chase anyone across the Turkish border but in the event of ISIS breaking through to Duhok of course you'd have to worry about actually making it there while presumably thousands of other people are trying to do the same thing.

Someone in another post mentioned a few soldiers guarding the border with Mosul. There are numerous well guarded checkpoints. They're taking security very seriously. If you're working for the American university they will surely have armed guards there and I would expect you'd be living in an apartment complex with armed guards.

At the same time, you're certainly able to freely wander around Duhok and travel to other cities like Erbil. Well I don't know what the university says about that but that's what I do. You'll want to visit Erbil some time, Duhok is dull.

The thing about the attack on the museum, it was obviously targeting tourists/westerners which makes it different from most other attacks. In Duhok there arent really tourists and few expats. I suppose it might make me more nervous about going to places that expats frequent in Erbil.

Oh and the Kurdistan Taiwan comparison, I've never heard of Taiwan being considered dangerous except maybe from tsunamis or something.
SunnyYacht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cartago that was brilliant on the ground realistic reporting.
I'm starting to get a clearer picture for that exact location. And thanks again Nomad for your input.

I am not afraid of dieing, just don't want to have my head cut off with a butcher knife, far too violent.

My daughter is 12, wouldn't want to worry her about the possibility of seeing daddy being butchered on YouTube, even if it never happened. I remember when my dad was in the Vietnam war, three tours, I never got used to it, and let's face it Iraq is a war zone and western governments are posting grave travel warnings.

So, perhaps I'll just take a safer position for now.
Thanks again for all your input.
SunnyYacht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way just mentioning Taiwan, randomly, as a safer option for living and working compared to Kurdistan because they only have earthquakes and Typhoons, hahahaha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: