Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acceptable salary package?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the documents have already been sent. Nothing I can do :-/ oh well if accepted I`ll see what I can make out of those 800 omr. They have offered a part time position for my wife so we will deff get that negotiated.
balqis

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your 900 employer should contact the 800 employer so that they swap your visa processing?

Perhaps it is worth a try to ask the 900 one if anything can be done with the situation from his end?

balqis
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
This is the latest ad by Abdul Majali/Hawthorn. who is probably the main - or thereabouts - employer of ESL teachers in Oman and through whose agency a lot of teachers land an entry job in Oman [ from my knowledge other agents, eg. Al Nawa, pay less than this.
balqis

Teachers recruited by Al Nawa for the Colleges of Technology make OR 1400/mo. They don't get annual flights or gratuity, on top of that as it's included in the salary, but it's still more than what ELES or Hawthorne offer...
balqis

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if it is true in cash-n-hand money.
With Al Nawa, they also do not get furniture allowance, so they have to furnish and ac the flats they rent, buy all amenities for the kitchen and bathroom, TV and Sat, if they want to have it, and pay the utilities. Hawthorn provides all of it.
They also do not get the end-of-contract extra salary. If you tot it all up, I doubt if it is more than Hawthorn in real money.
With Hawthorn, you must live a certain, even if very basic, but still civilised standard, and the standard is guaranteed by the agency. If you have to pay for all from your own cash, you are likely to be tempted to live in a dog's house and live the Diogenes's dog's life.
Yet, if I'm wrong, then Madrileno is right.
balqis

Last edited by balqis on Sun May 24, 2015 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
With Hawthorn, you must live a certain, even if very basic, but still civilised standard, and the standard is guaranteed by the agency. If you have to pay for all from your own cash, you are likely to be tempted to live in a dog's house and live the Diogenes's dog's life.

As long as that's their choice then I don't see the problem.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No annual flights for the Al Nawa hires placed in the colleges of Tech? -that's a bit tight! As for the start-up costs when moving here....in my opinion splashing out on furniture + white goods + car is pretty reckless when nobody has any guarantee that they'll make it past the first 3 months...
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
No annual flights for the Al Nawa hires placed in the colleges of Tech? -that's a bit tight! As for the start-up costs when moving here....in my opinion splashing out on furniture + white goods + car is pretty reckless when nobody has any guarantee that they'll make it past the first 3 months...

Down in Salalah teachers have the option of renting furnished flats, ACs and white goods included. Up North and in the interior is another story...
balqis

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if beggars can be choosers, then yes.

balqis
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
Yes, if beggars can be choosers, then yes.

My accommodation allowance from Hawthorn is just paid out every month to me and effectively is just part of my salary. I actually prefer it this way as I like having a say on where I'm going to live and the allowance, at least in Salalah, is more than adequate and most Hawthorn teachers in this neck of the woods are actually making a bit of extra cash out of it. However, I can only really speak for the rental market here.

In my college in Salalah, all teachers, both Ministry and Hawthorn, just make their own arrangements in regards to accommodation. The only real difference is that the Ministry teachers are paid more in the first place, even with the Hawthorn accommodation allowance. If a teacher, especially a Ministry teacher, chooses to live in substandard accommodation simply because they don't want to part with the green, then, to be honest, I'm not going to shed any tears over it. Much like I wouldn't weep over someone choosing to live below their means back home because they would rather save.

Like I said, I'm only really familiar with the Salalah rental market. I know Muscat is more expensive. but then again, the wages are generally higher over there as well. Anyway, in Salalah, you can get a more than adequate apartment for 160 OMR to 180 OMR a month. IMHO, that's very reasonable and if someone, who is on considerably more than I am, won't part with around that amount every month in order to live in a decent place then, as far as I'm concerned, that's up to them and I honestly don't see the problem.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be clear here....anybody who becomes a ministry direct hire is given a lump sum housing allowance in order to furnish their abode....Hawthorn provides furnished accommodation to it's hires.......none of the agencies that supply the MOM colleges assists in any way with housing-and in most places furnished rentals are non-existent. Anybody arriving via one of these agencies who doesn't have 1000-1500 to invest in rigging out their abode is going to be roughing it to some extent-it ain't a matter of choice....a new a/c for example, is going to set you back 3-400 rials!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Let's be clear here....anybody who becomes a ministry direct hire is given a lump sum housing allowance in order to furnish their abode....!

True but a lot of teachers when I was there had to use the 1,800 soft loan to survive whilst waiting the five months for the MoHE to process evrything and start paying salaries.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Let's be clear here....anybody who becomes a ministry direct hire is given a lump sum housing allowance in order to furnish their abode....Hawthorn provides furnished accommodation to it's hires.......none of the agencies that supply the MOM colleges assists in any way with housing-and in most places furnished rentals are non-existent. Anybody arriving via one of these agencies who doesn't have 1000-1500 to invest in rigging out their abode is going to be roughing it to some extent-it ain't a matter of choice....a new a/c for example, is going to set you back 3-400 rials!

Like I said, everyone at my college in Salalah is pretty much left to their own devices in finding digs and we all just rent privately. Just like we would in most jobs back home and it's not really a problem. I get your point about the delays experienced by Ministry teachers in getting paid and I've written about that elsewhere. New Ministry teachers should definitely be made aware of it; forewarned is forearmed and all that.

However, in areas where the Hawthorn teachers are supplied accommodation, the Minsitry teachers are on, at least, about 500 OMR a month more. That's nothing to sniff at and they can definitely afford to live somewhere nice if they so choose. Plus there is the 1800 OMR in cash for 'furniture allowance' that is given to them in the first few days of working (which they don't repay providing they complete their contract). I also accept that there may be a lack of furnished accommodation in certain areas so not only do Ministry teachers have to find their own places, but, often, buy furniture and kitchenware etc. I know that's a hassle, because I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to do it and, personally, I've largely just come to see it as the usual 'part and parcel' of relocating.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Acceptable salary package? Reply with quote

djstorm1987 wrote:
Hi everyone

I have just been offered a position with ELS in Salalah. The package is for 800 omani rial with paid airfare, health insurance and a furnished 2 bedroom apartment (worth 200 rials). I am currently married with no children. Wife has been offered a part time position but unsure about her salary as that will be discussed prior to arrival. Since she will not be a full time employer due to her Pakistani citzenship she will only be offered paid airfare from U.S to Salalah. Would this be an acceptable salary? For someone that`s coming from having some teaching experience in South America this seems a bit decent but just wanted to know what the average is in Oman.

Thanks in advance

ELES/ELS offers teachers 1,100 OMR for their contracts in Muscat, 1,300 if you're in a more rural location. Salalah isn't considered a rural location. this is from the center director in Muscat, however, he says that the Salalah location pretty much runs itself, with little to no interference from Muscat, even though they are the same company (for accounting purposes).

I think its hard to find a place in Muscat for less than 300 OMR, so with a salary of 1,100, your take home is about 800. Accommodation in Salalah, from what I understand from posters here, is much cheaper. Maybe you can find your own place for a bit cheaper and take the 200 housing allowance?
balqis

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm this money. But I don't think they would pay your vacation. You only get paid when you are working. If I am wrong, then somebody should correct me re unpaid vacation.

balqis
ttxor1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
I confirm this money. But I don't think they would pay your vacation. You only get paid when you are working. If I am wrong, then somebody should correct me re unpaid vacation.

balqis

I believe a teacher is given one month's paid vacation for a full time, year long contract. however, there have been reports that for one reason or another, vacations have been postponed... I think there are a few teachers who are owed at least a few months' vacay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: