Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the current tips/caveats for MoE colleges?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaramaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have worked in Turkey, China and now Vietnam... In Turkey, one school (where I lived on campus) dealt with housing. I sorted out the other 4 years' worth of accommodation. In China, I lived in Shanghai and although you get a piddly living allowance the housing is generally up to you to sort out (not so much if you live outside the big cities). Here in Hanoi, it's also up to you to sort out. We had to track down estate agents and deal with it ourselves. I know it's a bit trickier in Oman (lack of furnished housing, fewer options) but surely the teachers who work there have found something?
stanggg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some people get two weeks!? We got three days and one realtor who had some wasta with the university. I felt really bad for the teachers who came in the fall. They arrived on a Thursday and received no help on Friday. They were expected to have a place by Saturday.

When you get your job offer start messaging people who are in your city and see if they can get some numbers for you. If you can get there early to start looking that would be great. Also, you might be able to get a place for a month or two. It might end up being cheaper than staying in a hotel for 20 OMR a night for a couple of weeks.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stangg

Where and how would you get a place for a month or two?

All the places that I looked at the landlords want 12 months in advance rent with 3 months notice if one wishes to break the lease.

Great idea to message the people in your city. How would you know who they are and what their number is? And why would they give up their time, energy and money to house hunt for you?

But yeah...fantastic place Oman. Everything is so easy Laughing
yaramaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just to clarify, everything that's crappy about these jobs is the fact that housing isn't included (though there is a housing allowance that seems reasonable based on online real estate/expat info sites). Is that it? What about the work? The reliability of pay? The work environment and facilities? Colleagues?

I'm not looking at this with rose coloured glasses but I'm trying to get a sense of perspective here. We're looking at 1-2 years where we can have daytime work hours, good paid holidays, time to do our MAs, the ability to save some money (and 2 people on OR1350 each should be able to save, whether we have to pay tons of rent upfront or not). I liked the ability to escape out into the desert at weekends when I was in Oman 10 years ago (while based in Dubai). Felt really recharged. Not much of that here in Asia (and heavy pollution) and the money is getting worse and the holidays are crap.

Like I said a few posts ago, with our credentials and situation, where would you suggest we try? I'm asking this with an open mind and willingness to explore new avenues. Oman was just an idea that ticked a lot (but not all) of our boxes.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

Nirvana is not for for this world and I'd be the last one to say that there aren't frustrations to living and working here, but, overall, yeah, Oman has been a pretty easy ride for me, at least so far Cool.
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your luck with Hawthorn. They do employ people with BA degrees. And they will provide housing ready to inhabit for you.

In small remote places in Oman, the major problem is housing shortage, i.e. nothing to choose from. Where I was, this was the major issue, unless you do not mind living in a dog's house.

balqis
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
stangg

Where and how would you get a place for a month or two?

All the places that I looked at the landlords want 12 months in advance rent with 3 months notice if one wishes to break the lease.

Great idea to message the people in your city. How would you know who they are and what their number is? And why would they give up their time, energy and money to house hunt for you?

I don't know how it is in other MoM colleges, (Lord knows! It may be an entirely different world up north!) but in Salalah new teachers are provided a list of bilingual landlords and their contact info. Then they can easily check out five or more apartments in the time they're given in a hotel and choose a place to sign a lease on.

The landlord list is a part of a welcome file compiled by the entire staff and is given to new teachers when the arrive. It was filled with useful information and helped me tons when I first arrived.

As I said before, this is in Salalah. The situation may be radically different at colleges up north and in the interior.

yaramaz wrote:
So, just to clarify, everything that's crappy about these jobs is the fact that housing isn't included (though there is a housing allowance that seems reasonable based on online real estate/expat info sites). Is that it? What about the work? The reliability of pay? The work environment and facilities? Colleagues?

So, just to clarify, everything that's crappy about these jobs is the fact that housing isn't included (though there is a housing allowance that seems reasonable based on online real estate/expat info sites). Is that it?

Every college is different, as many people will attest to on here. For the most part, teachers are left on their own to find accommodation. Levels of help/support from your employer/administration/fellow teachers in finding a place all hinges on where you are.

Where you are also determines the availability of housing, quality, and rent costs. Quality of accommodation and rent costs will be higher in Muscat, Salalah, and Sohar. Quality and costs go down in the smaller towns/cities and in the interior.

The vast majority of rental units will be unfurnished (this includes absence of ACs and white goods), but furnished accommodation can be found in the three biggest cities. It just requires searching.

What about the work?

Will this be your first time in the Gulf? If so, arrive with a lot of patience, an open mind, and the crucial ability to "let it go". Otherwise you won't last long here. Plenty of lovely stories of dealing with companies, school administrations or students can be found on here.

The reliability of pay?

Pay is on time at the end of every month. This can be said for all the recruiters. I can only recall one instance where pay was late for everyone, and it was the fault of the bank and not the recruiting agencies.

The work environment and facilities?

Like accommodation, the work environment also hinges on where you're placed. Some colleges are better than others. It seems every year, a number of stories come out about one college or another. Regardless, teachers coming to the Sultanate usually pick their college based on location and their opportunity to save above all else.

Most of the public colleges are from the late 80s and 90s. Facilities are dated but functional. You'll likely get a room with a functioning AC, white board, and ceiling fan. Be happy if you have these in your classroom! Teachers' offices range from three/four sharing a room, to a few dozen, each with their own cubicle in one large room. Again, this depends on the college...

Colleagues?

Again, it's different wherever you are. The one good thing I've noticed with the public colleges/unis is the staff they hire is typically far more educated, better qualified, and mentally stable than what you'll find in the private institutions. Of course, you get the odd alcoholic or mentally unstable character, but for the most part, staff at ministry colleges are 'ok'!

Hope that helps.

Last edited by madrileno on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
yaramaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:

I don't know how it is in other MoM colleges, (Lord knows! It may be an entirely different world up north!) but in Salalah new teachers are provided a list of bilingual landlords and their contact info. Then they can easily check out five or more apartments in the time they're given in a hotel and choose a place to sign a lease on.

The landlord list is a part of a welcome file compiled by the entire staff and is given to new teachers when the arrive. It was filled with useful information and helped me tons when I first arrived.

As I said before, this is in Salalah. The situation may be radically different at colleges up north and in the interior.

Thanks. That's good to know. We're looking into a lot of options and won't go for anything without triple checking whether it's appropriate or feasible.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madrileno,

Great post... balanced and accurate... with no unnecessary hyperbole suggesting that your experience will be what everyone will find.

It ought to be a "stickie"!! Cool

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Madrileno,

Great post... balanced and accurate... with no unnecessary hyperbole suggesting that your experience will be what everyone will find.

It ought to be a "stickie"!! Cool

Seconded. Thanks, madrileno.
nicole2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you will find Oman to be quite well after all the countries you have mentioned that you have taught in and I would not be put off by some of the previous posts. You will need to decide whether you want to live in Muscat where a lot is offered as far as shopping, restaurants or even golf or take a position out in the smaller towns. In Muscat, flats are expensive (300 to 450 omr mo for 2bd flat) and it is possible to spend lots of money going out. However, by choosing a school outside of Muscat it may be affordable to rent a small villa with a garden for less than a flat in Muscat.

If you live in Muscat you will need a car (140-160 omr per mo rental) but in the towns you could get by with taxis and walking. Some nice cities are Sohar and Sur; both on the coast. Sohar is larger but Sur is located in the beautiful Sharkiyya area. I would not recommend Rusaq or ibri (just too small and isolated). If you choose Buraimi, Al Ain (with loads of shopping and activities) shares a border with Buraimi. Niswa has historic character with the sook and falaj. It is very peaceful, safe and beautiful in Oman especially outside Muscat with dramatic beach and mountain landscapes. It is also possible to save money.

As far as recruiters go, its the normal BS one finds in different degrees all over the world. Some provide housing but you are better off negotiating an allowance rather than taking them up on their accommodation. One thing to take into account is the visa situation.

These are the guidelines to consider: 1. Only men can sponsor a family visa, so if your husband finds himself unemployed and you are employed, you cannot sponsor him or your child (the child maybe under an unlikely exception). 2. In order to change employment you need an NOC letter even if you ve finished the contract. This may not be available to both of you depending on the employer and without an NOC expats are banned for two years from Oman. This has become a very contentious issue in Oman. Best of luck.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nicole- that's really good to hear. To be honest, we're not expecting great things (but a few nice things would be great). We just need a hint of 8am-4:30pm workday stability in a place where we can afford childcare for our little guy and have time to study our MAs for a few years.

I've lived and worked and travelled in the region (though haven't actually taught in the Gulf, just had Gulf students who were studying in Istanbul and know a lot of people who have taught in Oman and UAE) and have a pretty good idea what we are getting ourselves into... just wanted to check a few things before we uproot our family again. Right now, the job scene for efl in Vietnam is a shambles if you are not a 20-something backpacker. Pay is falling, hours keep shifting and employers are cutting corners everywhere. Nice place to live but frustrating for work (students are lovely though).

I'm aware of the visa rules re: sponsoring family (it's on all the application forms). Luckily my husband has his DELTA and lots of university work so is probably more likely than me to be considered (I have the experience but just BA and TEFL cert). If he isn't hired, we won't go. Hoping that being a teaching couple doing our MAs might be seen as an advantage...
yaramaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicole2010 wrote:
In order to change employment you need an NOC letter even if you ve finished the contract. This may not be available to both of you depending on the employer and without an NOC expats are banned for two years from Oman. This has become a very contentious issue in Oman. Best of luck.

Thanks especially for that tip. In what circumstance might it be not available to both of us? In China, you need employer release letters to change jobs. Is this the same? And if we are both employed, would we not both be able to secure them?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaramaz wrote:
nicole2010 wrote:
In order to change employment you need an NOC letter even if you ve finished the contract. This may not be available to both of you depending on the employer and without an NOC expats are banned for two years from Oman. This has become a very contentious issue in Oman. Best of luck.

Thanks especially for that tip. In what circumstance might it be not available to both of us? In China, you need employer release letters to change jobs. Is this the same? And if we are both employed, would we not both be able to secure them?

It depends on how the employer feels at the time you request an NOC. They don't have to give one btw.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope things work out for you and that you meet people who can help you out. We had no idea when we arrived and paid really high rents for our town. At one point we were paying OMR200 a month for an apartment. It was only later that we met people in our town who were staying in 2 bedroomed apartments for OMR85 a month. Now we pay less than OMR200 for our villa and we also pay on a monthly basis with no downpayment. In fact all the properties run by our agency charge rent on a monthly basis. They also have a full-time handyman who we can call if we have any problems with our villa.

I am assuming if these options are available here, they should be available in other Omani towns as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: