Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work visas with independiente addendum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has occurred to me that the reason the INM may have stopped approving independent status, and the reason you may have referred to it as a "loophole," Guy, was that it was a way for a company that wished to hire foreigners to do so without having to qualify as such through the INM. No permission to hire, or at your limit of hiring if you had permission, just get some of the teachers to qualify for independent status and, problem solved.

You've seen some examples of people being recently denied independent status, but have you yet seen instances of people being told they cannot renew in this status, which would strike me as the next logical step for INM to take if they are trying to crack down on what they might see as an abusive practice. Just a thought.

None of this lightens your burden any. I've never looked into what it takes to qualify with INM for permission to hire foreigners: just how onerous is it?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You've seen some examples of people being recently denied independent status, but have you yet seen instances of people being told they cannot renew in this status, which would strike me as the next logical step for INM to take if they are trying to crack down on what they might see as an abusive practice. Just a thought.

So for example, someone who already has independent status and trying to renew it? Haven't seen that yet, no. You may be right.

Quote:
None of this lightens your burden any. I've never looked into what it takes to qualify with INM for permission to hire foreigners: just how onerous is it?

Quite easy I'm told actually. One friend went through the process start to finish and the only associated costs were what he paid a lawyer to do it. Ourselves, we are early in the process, starting with SAT to form a sociedad civil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have an independent working visa. It is good for something like 2 years. Almost expired now. Had to get a lot of paperwork from SAT then turned it into immigration. The SAT office and immigration worked together. They were linked in the process. It was a huge pain, stressful and I will never do it again. The paperwork was so confusing I thought I'd have to hire an immigration lawyer. The girl in the immigration in my city was totally confused and gave us a very hard time. I finally did get my visa after calling the immigration office in the DF and getting them involved. Some guy had to call the girl in my small city immigration office to tell her to give me the visa. As I said... I will never put myself through that again. Im sure they changed the rules again in the past 2 years.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that...

What's your plan come renewal time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Back to inotu-unotme Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a huge pain, stressful and I will never do it again.

Why would you have to? Renewal is generally an easier process than getting this status the first time.

Why give up the flexibility you have, being able to work without having to have, or be tied to, a sponsor.

Is there something else you find disagreeable about the status so that you wouldn't want to renew it?

If Guy is right you won't be able to get it back, once you let it go.

Last edited by Tretyakovskii on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have never heard of a visa that is good for two years. Everyone I know except permanent residents, has to renew every year. What does it say on your card? Maybe there is some status that we are missing that might be helpful to someone else here.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Programa Temporal de Regularización Migratoria" is now issuing 4 year visas which don't need renewing until the 4 years are finished (or applying for residencia permanente). They cost less than 4 yearly renewals would, so I don't know if they are doing that for other visas. It'd be a damn good idea, pay it all now and 4 years without trips to migra.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what Phil says, now you have to option of temporary work permit for one, two or four years. The cost for two years is slightly less than two one years and the four year one offers a bit more savings as well. This has been up on posters since the reform.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, hold the phone...I just met with a Canadian in Guadalajara that successfully moved to an independent status after having been on a residente temporal sponosred by an employer in another state in Mexico.

He chalks it up to an A1 lawyer. He needed to show registry with SAT as a persona fisica prior to the switchover in status with INM.

I don't know what to think anymore...
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he is still residente temporal, just on his own sponsorship?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. His wife also got the same status - she's Colombian. They are not tied together through any kind of spousal visa arrangement either.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, in case I can't manage to make an anchor baby in time to renew Wink
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
Good to know, in case I can't manage to make an anchor baby in time to renew Wink

I'm thinking the key here is to have a good lawyer...believe me, I'm getting the name of this one in Guadalajara. A good lawyer in Mexico is harder to find than marmite or poutine.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
bdbarnett1 wrote:

I'm thinking the key here is to have a good lawyer...believe me, I'm getting the name of this one in Guadalajara. A good lawyer in Mexico is harder to find than marmite or poutine.

I'll stick to the lawyer and let you know if I run across the others Wink
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just met with a Canadian in Guadalajara that successfully moved to an independent status after having been on a residente temporal sponosred by an employer in another state in Mexico.

Guy, the comment about needing to set up an entrepreneurial/professional tax regime as a persona fisica (that is, a person, rather than a corporation) is nothing new to this discussion, but did you learn enough in talking with him to tell us if he made the move and needed to register his presence in the new community and new activities with the SAT and the INM, and used this moment to change his work status to independent?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: