Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10% tax on salary for expats?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
What isn't clear is who will pay it. Right now it is paid by employers and I suspect that will remain. But what about when they start to charge for dependents?

It will merely put more downward pressure on pay and benefits...

From the article: "The levy on expat workers will be gradually revised upwards, providing an additional impetus for employers to hire more Saudis." Salaries and benefits continue to slide downward, while the number of positions open to expats decrease as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see more contracting companies use business/work visit visas as a way to skirt some of the costs and not cut into their profits.

The expat dependents' fee targets school-aged children; however, it's unclear how it will be collected. The majority of teaching expats hired via contracting companies are on single/bachelor status anyway, so this fee isn't an issue for them unless they plan to bring their dependents over on their own dime.

ETA:
Quote:
The fees to be paid by expatriates for their dependents will be effective from July 2017 and will be collected along with the fees for Iqama (residence permit) renewal, according to sources at the department of passports (Jawazat).

The sources, however, said the Jawazat is still waiting to receive instructions on the mechanism to collect the fees.
Source: http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/dependents-fees-taken-time-iqama-renewal/

sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makkah wrote:
sicklyman wrote:

No, I'm not flexible. I told them that the only place they would successfully be able to transfer me to would be out of the country. I would not work in another location and would leave immediately.

Yeah, I can just see you holding your contractor and Aramco to ransom. I guess they have you on a special list "not to be disturbed".

I'm wouldn't be holding anyone to ransom, Makkah. I'd just work my 60 days' notice and that would be it. Life's waaaaay too short.

But I am on a special list though... Wink
revilo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the day comes for a tax on expats, I'll see if anyone leaves for greener pastures. I doubt it in this backwater of Qassim.

By the way, I talked to a colleague about leaving this place and he told me that he would not leave for anything less than $5000 per month.

Was I wrong for laughing in his face?

Rolling Eyes
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revilo wrote:
he would not leave for anything less than $5000 per month.

Was I wrong for laughing in his face?

well no... if you've quoted him correctly.

But if you meant to say he "would leave" for anything less than that, then maybe you value your life elsewhere less than he does.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makkah wrote:
I guess they have you on a special list

you obviously knew more than I did about that it seems...
Makkah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
Makkah wrote:
I guess they have you on a special list

you obviously knew more than I did about that it seems...

Now now....back to work. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: