Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another interview bites the dust
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I've figured out why you asked about my credentials and status (I think). It's because I asked you the source of your information.

If I understand you correctly, the source of your info regarding non-EU citizens working in France is that you saw a bunch of them working for a 'large scale' company when you were there, but you don't know what the requirements were to gain such employment. Is that a fair statement?

Was it an international company, by any chance? Because they often are able to work out deals with governments for their staff - but you have to have employment with them from your home country, in most cases, or highly specialized qualifications.

Anyway, my statements are based in my personal research from 2005, as a US citizen with an MA and years of experience teaching in (European) universities.

In any case, please don't feel that you need to specify your personal qualifcations and status in return... mine aren't really relevant here, and neither would yours be, I think.
forest1979

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral78 - No, I didn't see a "bunch of them" - they were my colleagues when I worked for a language school, French owned and run, based in Paris. Some classes I co-taught with non-EUs so all in all I got to know some pretty well.

Where I worked? It was, as mentioned in an earleir post, a very large language school with a number of offices situated in Paris, and did not have foreign ownership (either in part of full). It was a French company so there was no element of handshakes, as you put it, between governments. The total number of teachers was large, about 100 I think, and the demography was, as commented on before as well, cosmopolitan.

As for my qualifications, just to show I have nothing to hide, I have a MA, and a PhD, have published and also have many years of higher education teaching experience in the UK, France and elsewhere. Likewise, I am not fluent with the French language.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so we're all clear on that Very Happy

But I stil dont' think there's any generally-open route for non-EU member citizens, particularly newbies in the field, to gain legal employment in France, whether it's from abroad, trying to get paperwork in advance, or inside the country, beating the sidewalks on a tourist visa in the rain Sad

However, the bright note is that there are some work-study programs that newbies could look into. Just that you have to be in a position to study! And, like our OP, if you're really determined to go there and try it out, so long as you have realistic expectations, and backup plans, then why not?
forest1979

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I saw it, from my experience in Paris and from conversing with non-EUs, the only open-route to France is via recruitment in your home country. You apply from there, you have a telephone interview, and after you come. I would think that it's nigh on impossible to just turn up in France and expect a permanent position. But, then there's always the study-work programmes. However, I digress re the OPs situation. Any pragmatist would not simply turn up in France and look for work. Many people have posted about it this 99.9% have commented on their failures. I would seriously suggest against the turn up on the door approach unless you're willing to pay to register for a university course of some kind. Tourists visas simply don't work.
wildchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would seriously suggest against the turn up on the door approach unless you're willing to pay to register for a university course of some kind.

and to do that, one will need to pass some kind of French language test? or one could sign up for French language classes on campus (DEFLE, Bordeaux) ?
medusa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildchild, you don't always need a good or high level in French to sign up at Uni, depending on the course, arts plastiques, English, and others don't specify French. The Defle is great though yes, and many many foreigners get around the system using that. Have you studied there?
Were you lodged in the Village universitaire nearby? Just curious!
rfx24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: a new twist Reply with quote

I just found new information regarding student work in France...

"Students who have completed one academic year in France, may work in France, but French law regulates work by international students of all nationalities in France." taken from http://www.ambafrance-us.org/visitingfrance/student.asp

Is is possible to go to France and work with the student visa as soon as you arrive? How many times can you renew your student visa? Can you change your status from student visa to permanent resident (maybe after a few years)?

Can you also become an Assistant de Langue, but use the visa (abandon the children) and use it to teach adults?
forest1979

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wish to be rude but the stduent visa/work situation is designed not for students to come and get full-time jobs, but so that they can do some work (20 hours a week max?) to get by. If the system was so transparent in allowing students to take on full-time jobs firstly there would be a lot more non-EUs in France, and secondly I doubt the system would exist for very long anyway before some union notices the loop hole, organises a major demonstrate and the government reaction. Read the system anyway you want, but it's obvious that for non-EUs it is not an entry to a full-time job. Even if you want to be a student for a year, it means that you need a hell of a lot of money in your pocket to get by prior to earning that first pay packet after 12 months of residency if English teaching is really so desired.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you also become an Assistant de Langue, but use the visa (abandon the children) and use it to teach adults?

No, the work permit will specifically state the assistant title and the school district you work for.
fancynan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the OP -- have you gotten a job yet?
rfx24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am on my way to apply for a student visa. The PreRegistration letter for a university I am applying to was lost in the post...long story! So I'm waiting for a new one and it should come this week. I need that letter to apply for my visa. Getting housing in Paris is a pain in the...you know. I can't seem to find a place to live. I expect to be in Paris by the end of this month or early Oct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: