Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

had me chucklin'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

Mr Gridley? Very Happy

No firing here and please accept my apologies!

TH
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: No harm, no fault Reply with quote

Dear Truth Hurts,
No apology required - a little give and take makes the board interesting, I'd say. It's difficult, communicating this way - nuances are missed, meanings can be misinterpreted. But it's still a great way for people far distant from each other to exchange ideas and opinions. And who knows - maybe someday we'll actually get to meet - inshallah.
Regards,
John
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it has been a pleasure to talk to you all.

Still, I have to wonder if this is really helpful to the Cafe. After all there are lots of places to talk politics.

Rarely with such fine people however.

Thanks.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Job related? Reply with quote

Dear Paul in Saudi,
Well, I must adimit I occasionally get a twinge of conscience about posting on what might be seen as not strictly "job-related" topics. However, as I mentioned, I think the turmoil in the Middle East IS job-related in a number of ways. The China section has an "Off-Topic" Forum, and maybe Saudi Arabia should have one, too. However, none of the moderators seem perturbed by what's being discussed here; as far as I know, there have been no deletions, no "warnings". And it's not as if we're "taking up neeed space"; I mean, my knowledge of cyberspace is very limited, but isn't it just about infinite? Moreover, those who object to discussions of this nature can simply choose not to read or post on these threads. I don't really know if it's "helpful" to the Cafe (though a little controversy probably adds some interest), but I can't see how it hurts (except, of course, Truth Hurts). So, what the heck, why not - at least until/unless we get "shut down"?
Regards,
John
P.S. Hmm, as I recall, talking politics (among others subjects) in the Kingdom was not always too wise an activity. I agree completely, however, with your evaluation of the participants - including, of course, myself.
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring out an important and valid point. I recently took the family to Las Vegas and everyone repeatedly expressed concern for my safety here.

I know the situation here better than they do. I feel safe. But, on the other hand, you can never tell when you are deluding yourself., by definition.

The stresses in the region, and they way they impose stress and danger on us who work here is an interesting topic that should be studied.

As for discussing politics here, the danger is the corrosive effects would destroy or fragment our little community. I suppose cyberspace is infinite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: