Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Euro doomed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHanMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you're trying to lure me into saying something that would get me in trouble around these parts! Such slanderous insinuations against one who harbours no ill will to the world nor to his brothers and sisters thereon!

I respect the Catholic Church as an organisation willing to confront the evil inherent in our world! And evil DOES exist!

BUT, I do not judge homosexuality as evil; most thinking Catholics nowadays, in reality, don't either! But we can't walk out on the Church; we cannot throw the baby out with the bath water brother John!!!

The Church will change its position on this, sooner or later! Once it does, we shall see an organisation truly fit to command the hearts of all men!

'Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things!

For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him!

The kingdom of God is within you!'

"I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are very wise and very beautiful; but I never read in either of them: "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden!" ~St Augustine

You can add Mark Twain to that list one as well!

Throw away the shackles John; rejoice in the glow of the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - But please rejoice responsibly.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the doomed euro in all of this?
TheHanMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Where's the doomed euro in all of this?

Don't you see; all roads truly do lead to Rome!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but Moscow is the Third Rome! And there shall be no Fourth...

I'd start buying up rubles - a more stable currency than most these days.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear TheHanMan,

Really enjoyed that long post - yes, I'm a "lapsed" Catholic, and while I will agree that the Church can and does do much good in this world, I'm also aware of a lot that I consider to be just plain wrong.

"The Church will change its position on this, sooner or later!"

If bets are allowed, may I claim much, much, much, much (and many more muches) later?

I was in the seminary (Maryknoll) for a few years because I thought (it was quite a while back) that the reforms of John XXIII would be carried forward. However, when I saw what I thought to be the reactionary response, I left since I was unwilling to spend my life telling people too many things that I didn't personally believe in.

If all roads lead to Rome, it must follow that they all lead away from it, as well.

Regards,
John
TheHanMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
If all roads lead to Rome, it must follow that they all lead away from it, as well.

Shocked This is a damn fine piece of thinking! I never looked at it that way. You've hit upon something for Catholics to think about here... As a primary school student in Korea once wrote to me in a note; 'I like you teacher, your thinking is good!!!!'

Pope Benedict XVI was a big wheel in the proposals of the second Vatican council by the way. He was a would be reformer and was viewed as a dangerous man by many of the traditionalists around him.

Unfortunately, during the uprisings of 1968, students rampaged into the institute where he was teaching theology in Germany (or Austria maybe, can't remember) and wreaked violence upon the faculty teaching there.

This incident is said to have affected Ratzinger to a degree that most would view as excessive.

This isolated incident would prove to be the catalyst for Ratzinger to initially change his modernising opinions and to eventually become one of the most staunchly traditionalist Popes that the modern world has seen.

I don't know when the Catholic Church will change its position on homosexuality, but yes your skepticism that it will happen soon is perhaps well justified. Certainly not under this man.

Compliments again on the above quote!
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear TheHanMan,

Coincidently, I just received this link in my e-mail:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/books/review/book-review-absolute-monarchs-a-history-of-the-papacy-by-john-julius-norwich.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&nl=books&emc=booksupdateema1

Personally, what I find surprising, virtually incredible, is not that there were so many bad popes, but that the Church survived them all.

Why, the word "miraculous" may be appropriate.

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back on topic, the euro has been predicted to be dying ever since its inception, from the time of the ECU even. But it is still here and the alarm at its impending doom only seems to come from quarters that were against it for political reasons more than economic ones in the first place. I don't think it is going away anytime soon...
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can head fror Rome. I will stick with Hus and Zwingli.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Hus: He was tried and burnt at the stake without an opportunity to explain his beliefs.

Zwingli: The Swiss lost decisively and Zwingli was killed at the battle of Kappel, his body defiled, on October 11, 1531.

Of the two, I think sticking with Zwingli might be healthier.

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellas? This continued religious talk on a thread dedicated to economics? Please, let's have no more opium for the People...
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sasha,

Huh? I thought economics WAS the opium for the People nowadays.

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat

Only in the stateless society of the future. Deary me - need to brush up on yer diamat there...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: