Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of Living - Grocery Realities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're referring to the 200 zl for 10 days, right?

dragonpiwo was kidding. you on the other hand.....
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go to Mazury every year with a couple of Polish families. Neither is very well-off - typical Polish salaries - so costs are kept to a minimum. We rent a house, which is a real bargain - about 75zl per family per day - and put in 400zl per family for food for ten days. So about 10zl per person per day for a family of four. That covers breakfast, packed lunches and dinner, no problem but it's very typically Polish. Big blocks of white cheese mixed with cream to make a spread, rosół or krupnik cooked with a turkey neck or various bones and cheap cuts of meat with pasta / kasza to fill us up. Home made cakes or desserts (racuchy) and very careful budgeting. It's impressive to see how it's done - even if I'm craving something a bit different by the end of the holiday.

Not sure even they could halve the amount spent, though.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You caught me dynow. I live on mustard sandwiches.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrrross!
Infinite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find funny is how many people here talk about this place like you're experts. Yet, the vast majority had never actually even left your comfort zone once while living and working here.
When you camp out in a small village, where folks who live there make less than 1000zl per month yet still maintain a life... you should ask yourself - hm... wow... I guess there must be something to it.
200PLN for 10 days, while living in a country side, is more than plenty.
Also, since it's painfully obvious that nobody in this thread has ever had a day of real camping, that explains the simpleton responses.

It's very unfortunate that most expats can travel far and wide and never actually experience the real culture of their host countries. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that most don't even try, or the fact that it's always the comparison game. I use to think that it's just the Polish forum and the jaded black badgers that reside it, but it doesn't take much research to find out that the anglosphere is filled to the brim with people who simply can't think outside of their cultural vices. It's a real shame actually, especially since it's the anglosphere which always refers to itself as the most culturally diverse and accepting.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us had no issue with the concept.

You are right that some folks have no idea what they're talking about though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im totally the biggest expert on here. Ive camped Ive stayed in nice hotels. I drive i take trans. I etat in fancy places and still love kebab. I laugh at you all...... mwahahahahaha.
Infinite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Some of us had no issue with the concept.

You are right that some folks have no idea what they're talking about though.

This is why I used "most" I'm pretty sure you don't fall into that category. Smile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:
Also, since it's painfully obvious that nobody in this thread has ever had a day of real camping, that explains the simpleton responses.

It's very unfortunate that most expats can travel far and wide and never actually experience the real culture of their host countries.
Are you saying that in order to experience the real culture of Poland, you have to go camping? A lot of Poles have never been camping in their lives. I don't think there is anything inherently Polish about camping. On the contrary, most of the Poles I met tended to cherish their creature comforts and thought hiking for hours to pitch a tent and sleep in the woods was 'strange'.

Anyways, Poland is a very homogeneous country that is often guilty of not thinking out of its own cultural vices. The fact that some People on this forum are guilty of the same could just be because they have adapted so well to Polish culture. Wink
Infinite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

Are you saying that in order to experience the real culture of Poland, you have to go camping?

No, not at all, however when reading some of the posts here, it's pretty obvious that the vast majority of folks here would never leave their comfort zone. The issue with expats is always the same worldwide - leave my country to look for something that's identical to what I just left behind.

For instance - Cambodia, where the vast majority of folks live on less than $70 per month and you got expats complaining about making $15- $20 per hour. Same as it is in Poland, while living in the country side it was amazing to me at first that I was surrounded by people who were bringing in $1300 per month with large, four or five person, families. Of course this isn't possible in cities, but in the country it's completely doable.

When you leave your western countries, it's advisable to open your mind a bit and actually enjoy the new standards, however low they might be in comparison to your posh lifestyle back home. Again Shake, this is definitely not how I see you, it's just a general statement about the majority of posters on this board.

I'm in no way suggesting that camping is inherently Polish, however, it is VERY much ingrained in this culture. During the communism, entire families camped and hiked, since they couldn't really leave the country, so the culture is actually pretty rich. Most folks my age and my parents' age spent countless summers camping out. I'd go as far as saying that if you're looking for that real Polish vibe of per-westernization, do go camping or hiking on some remote trails and stay in mountain shelters. There are some fascinating stories that I've found this way.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: what a load of tosh Reply with quote

Not one of my adult friends (Polish or expat) goes camping. Maybe odd weekends in cottages but camping no.

You don't have to live like a peasant to experience the real, pre-western Poland. A lot of Poles had pretty good lives back then. Most Poles I know love the beach in summer and skiing in winter. A week at the seaside or skiing will set you back a pretty penny these days, especially if you have a family.

You can find anything in Poland these days, so that theory about expats living like they do back home is nonsense. I hang out with Poles more than expats and they all aspire to what one might call a more western way of living. who doesn't?

If you want to live like a hippy, go to a commune or kibbutz.
Infinite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what a load of tosh Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Not one of my adult friends (Polish or expat) goes camping.

You don't say! *slaps knee*
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

There's a certain type of US teacher you meet on daft things like camps. They usually have a beard and play the guitar.

I avoid them like the plague.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
There's a certain type of US teacher you meet on daft things like camps. They usually have a beard and play the guitar.

I avoid them like the plague.
Bah humbug! Smile

Infinite, that's interesting about the older generation and camping/hiking. I hiked around Zakopane a couple years ago. Not like hiking in the USA at all: in Poland, a lot more people plodding along well-trodden trails. I did like the frequent rest stops where you could buy snacks and beer, though.

I need to seek out some more back country trails the next time I'm in Poland.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 200zl budget for 10 days for a family of 4 is goofy. if you and the missus have a beer a night, you've blown half your budget and your kids haven't eaten yet.

my grandmother was born in 1916. she grew up in eastern poland. she didn't camp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: