Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you accept that a police officer do this in your class?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The officer was a specialized one who specifically worked for the school (and who presumably had some special training - or should have had)

Specialized one?
The police officer used improper force during the arrest.
Police officers are trained to catch criminals, not throw school children like they do in wrestling matches!

“Deputy Fields did not follow proper training or procedures when he threw the student across the room. It continues to upset me that he picked the student up and threw her.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2015/10/28/s-c-sheriff-to-announce-results-of-investigation-into-officer-who-threw-student/
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument that he did not follow proper training.

But he was the official school resource officer, not just a cop off the street. The school resource officers are meant to be specialized backup for teachers and admin staff - this one was trained to be in school.

http://cte.jhu.edu/courses/ssn/sro/ses1_act4_pag1.shtml

I'm not defending him, but I'm refuting the notion raised by buravirgil that the teacher in this case had no support staff - both the principal and this supposedly specially trained police officer were there to help (in theory).
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I consider clarity to be important in writing.

2. Classroom management is a skill that can often be learned. If someone has been slapped, kicked, and punched numerous times in classrooms, that would suggest to me that person may not have learned it too well.

Regards,
John
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
2. Classroom management is a skill that can often be learned.

Indeed.
Classroom management, if well used, can prevent disruptive behaviour in the classroom. It is possibly the most difficult aspect of teaching for many teachers; indeed experiencing problems in this area causes some to leave teaching altogether.
In 1981 the US National Educational Association reported that 36% of teachers said they would probably not go into teaching if they had to decide again. A major reason was "negative student attitudes and discipline".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classroom_management
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

Well, after all, I must admit that I've never been slapped, kicked, or punched in a classroom. Not sure what that says about my classroom management skills.

Further, perhaps oddly, I have garnered consistently high student evaluations over 18.5 years, and the three institutions for which I've worked full time all continue to employ me (one full time and the other two for projects).

Not sure what that might say about my classroom management skills, either, but I've never had any issues with cellphone use in class, or any other disruptive behavior beyond the common cold (which can be rather disruptive, indeed).

Please do let me know if anything in this post was unclear to you. I'll do my best to rectify any instances of cloudy meaning.

Best,
spiral
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear spiral,

HUH????? Very Happy

Regards,
John
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

Yes, too much information. I thought so.
But won't edit the post, as that would make your response lose clarity,perhaps.

Best,
spiral Wink
buravirgil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John? Spiral?
These bizarre contortions to accomodate and coddle your own opinion only demonstrate more selective reading than careful. Your proclivity *on this thread* to balk and mock in jags of incredulity is revealed too readily.

For periods of long and short duration, I've worked with populations challenged by issues of physical, cognitive, and behavioral development. I've been slapped and kicked, and hit by a handful of students of the last category.

How could you not notice posts such as the following on the first page?
    In 1990, I was trained in "forced time-outs" with elementary children, a discontinued practice except for special education and, in 2007, trained in that environment. There is no research to support physical contact is necessary to effectively discipline students of a normative, developmental classification-- nada.
I'm becoming convinced you're misreading posts to demonstrate the imperative of clarity-- as in, "See? You're not clear and this is its cost!"

I don't mince words well. I tend to work on paper (documentation, procedure) and the forum lends itself to a casual and conversational tone. I believe you've intrepreted much of my writing as competitive in some way because that's the response I'm seeing-- competitive. I'd do anything to return the thread to its first page because systemic failure is a serious issue and fear and intimidation in schools are execrable.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest in competing with you in any area. Your prose is, in my opinion, convoluted and dense, but I'm sure that's not going to change.

I'm glad that it's been only a handful students who physically assaulted you rather than its happening on numerous occasions.

I assure you that I have no motive in misreading you posts. In fact, I only wish they were easier to decipher - but that's not going to happen.

Why not start another thread of classroom management. I promise that I won't contribute to it.

Regards,
John
buravirgil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
http://cte.jhu.edu/courses/ssn/sro/ses1_act4_pag1.shtml

I'm not defending him, but I'm refuting the notion raised by buravirgil that the teacher in this case had no support staff - both the principal and this supposedly specially trained police officer were there to help (in theory).
As I stated early in the thread, I was witness to the creation of "safety" officers in schools in Los Angeles, efforts first bridged by DARE, but stepped up (for "average" schools) after 9-11.

What "safety" officers replaced were counselors, and arts and PE programs. That's the larger context of what's going on in the most stressed, urbanized centers of the United States, while "adequate" yearly progress metrics were enforced through NCLB. Great Society education was reversed (teachers' unions blamed for exorbitant salaries and a perceived reluctance to fire "bad" teachers) in favor of Charter schools and an attempt to subsidize private enterprise by vouchers.

Ok, Spiral, to address a poster by name as though one's patience is thin...

No support staff? I mean, are you leading an exchange between us to elicit a response you intend or predict?...because we agree on many, many issues...and by refuting my claim teachers have been denied any meaningful support staff to cite the very "safety" officer in the eye of the hurricane (so to speak)... Are you precipitating a direction you feel is beneficial? Because your comprehension of these issues is hardly shallow or lacking.

Edit: I've realized I hadn't specified (for a second time) which of G999's post I found compelling-- the NPR one, not simply the post itself. Still, I suspect Spiral of benignly directing this thread instead of simply participating in it. Which is, of course, a prerogative...of a sort...maybe...
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buravirgil, you're assigning deep, convoluted, and inaccurate motivations to my posts. Your crystal ball regarding what's in the minds of other posters probably needs a good scrub.

Or something.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Buravirgil, you're assigning deep, convoluted, and inaccurate motivations to my posts. Your crystal ball regarding what's in the minds of other posters probably needs a good scrub.

Or something.
Fair enough, Spiral, but a suspicion is just a speculation, and you were the only poster so scried with my shew stone.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original topic. (bv is gone).

The only other thing that the officer could have done was to have dragged the student AND the desk out into the hall and arrested her. (Why not arrest her? Third-graders have been arrested for pointing fingers like guns and for bring cookies to school that have been shaped like guns under the Zero Tolerance policies adopted by many schools. Oh yeah, and for kissing another student. That was sexual harassment).

The student had a chance to leave of their own volition, but she didn't. That was when the officer acted as he did. It is obvious to me that such an incident was not the first. Videos shot by other students show students who didn't even look up during the event.

If she was so disengaged that she preferred to play with her phone, she could have left. Instead, she got what she wanted. Let's not fool ourselves.

I've worked in inner city schools that didn't have officers on campus. Those who have worked inner city know what it's like to walk to their cars after class to find their cars surrounded by thugs who were probably armed and looking for trouble.

Police/armed guards are brought onto campus because administration won't/can't deal with such situations because teachers are outranked and outnumbered. Teachers know that whatever they do will be deemed inappropriate.

When the police/armed guards are fired for handling the matter physically because nothing else works, the spineless administration/school board fires him. That's the end of the line and the end of adult control. The thugs win.

In this case the guard was fired and thugs won.

That's why I'll never work in a public high school again.

You can talk forever about studies regarding physical removal and reasoning with miscreants, etc., but the fact remains that unless the problem is removed promptly and decisively, the problem spreads, and eventually, the entire school turns to****flushed****.

Fact.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only other thing that the officer could have done was to have dragged the student AND the desk out into the hall and arrested her. (Why not arrest her? Third-graders have been arrested for pointing fingers like guns and for bring cookies to school that have been shaped like guns under the Zero Tolerance policies adopted by many schools. Oh yeah, and for kissing another student. That was sexual harassment).

I heard someone suggest that the teacher could have had the rest of the students leave the room (I guess to continue class elsewhere). Not very sure myself that was a better solution, but maybe in some ways. In any case, for sure the student was seriously out of line and some penalties were certainly earned.
adventious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
Back to the original topic. (bv is gone).
Another fact is that you argue as a child to other children. Your song and dance isn't supported by a frame of the recording and police have no business in schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: