Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military Technical College-Muscat, and Oman query
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madrileno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
What gratuity?

None in my contract anyway. Rolling Eyes

A couple of recruiting companies for the HCTs don't pay gratuity, either.

They weasel out of breaking the labour law by wording the contract such that gratuity is "included with the salary each month".

Hell, I know one of the recruiting companies, Al Nawa, doesn't even give employees annual flights or flights home when they finish their contracts.

Oman never ceases to amaze me. Employers pull things here that would get them sued into oblivion if they tried the same thing/s in Europe or N America.
omanoman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it does seem shifty but if it clearly stated in the contract, then I suppose it's legal.

What I don't understand is that the gratuity benefit only activates by law after the first full year of employment, not 10 or 11 months, but a full year. So, if you only work from Sept - June, by law, there is no gratuity obligation. SO, does the employer take back the monthly gratuity allowance? I doubt it.

And leave benefits only activate after 6 months so if someone leaves during probation or before the start of the 7th month, then would the leave pro-rata be taken?

The flight home is another clear legal obligation "repatriation"is supposed to be guaranteed, if the sponsor doesn't, the Ministry will buy the flight and charge the sponsor. But again, apparently, some companies are bundling that cost into the monthly salary, the value of which would undoubtedly be based on the cheapest flight, leaving teachers to pay the difference for the high season summer flight cost.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be

If you resign, the sponsor must pay for your flight back to the country you originally came from.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are required to fly you back to your "permanent address" in your home country. This address should be stated in your CV and your original application.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't legal, but no one has had the ability (time/funds) to take them to court over it.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't 'hand over' your passport for visa cancellation, it's done at the airport as you depart. Normally the company PRO will meet you to do this. Hawthorn withhold a few hundred rials from your final settlement until you show at the airport and the PRO hands it to you. You have to check in first then go to the cancellation offices, once they cancel it you just walk straight through to air side.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final settlement is your final month's salary plus accrued holiday pay and should legally also contain the gratuity. I've known teachers do runners and then complain that their last month's salary and holiday was withheld. They didn't have a leg to stand on of course. Anyway good luck for the future.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
omanoman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the issue of building in gratuity and flight costs to one's salary package, I believe it is an irrational fear to assume that the last salary would be withheld. As stated, the visa cancellation is done at the airport, inside the departure area, after the first security check-in.

You complain about recruiter practices but then happily plan to perform your own illegal and unethical ploy to "escape" thereby adding to the overall distrust of employee / employer relations. So, then your comments about recruiter practices become tinged with hypocrisy and undermine any legitimate concerns you might add to the forum here.

I'd wish you best of luck, but I'm not sure you deserve it.
balqis

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ''do a runner'' requires a lot of courage and psychological strength, a heroic act indeed. It is many a time noble, just like breaking contracts and saying ''No''. Resistence is noble, as is well known, though most people are too weak and too flat to comprehend it, slaves from womb to tomb. Good luck then!

balqis
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which recruiter is it that you work for? I ask because your experience seems to be completely unique and has never been reported on this board in the last years that recruiters have been used.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: