Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian female in Cairo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobelle,

I don't know much about computer teaching, but I suspect that there are some jobs in the private universities, and I'm sure that there are tech training schools. But, they may not have to import teachers as there are plenty of computer literate Egyptians.

About the only place that pays well is AUC... you could check out their website. Maybe there is someone currently in Egypt who would know more.

VS
Ally951

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well speaking of getting ripped off, yesterday on my way back from an internet cafe (I ventured out alone), I managed to get into a "taxi" that charged me 15 pounds for a 5 pound trip. I later found out he wasn't a taxi at all - he was a truck driver that happened to be empty. Thing is, I had taken such a truck before with an Egyptian friend, so I assume it was a taxi driver... Anyways, other than that, I'm still here and gaining my bearings. It's been about 3 weeks now and I"m starting to get a feel for the country and people. The people are nice, friendly and proud. The hospitality is great when they want to provide it. Although, when I went shopping in Giza, I could sense the frustration and dislike because I couldn't speak Arabic. I have the numbers down, 'nos' for half kilo, shukran, asif, la, aiwa.... The students and staff at the school are eager to have me learn Arabic.

One thing I noticed about Egypt - the class distinctions are great. WHile, the middle class I think seems to be growing (according to some), the class differences are great. I have become friends with the cleaning staff, cook etc, in my school, but I have also become accquainted with "upper class" Egyptians through various connections - each cohort seems to know their place and not toe the boundaries. Now I know that this can be said for many different countries, not just Egypt, but it is what has been glaringly obvious upon me coming here. And for some of the 'upper class' Egyptians, don't hesitate to belittle the 'lower class' with me - the assumption being that I am of a higher socioeconomic level coming from Canada. Then again, in absolute terms yes, I am "richer" but I am middle class in Canada (possibly toeing the poverty line with student loans and unstable employment).... And to have such a discussion is probably unlikely with either my school friends and others...

Yes, I was not happy with the reception I got once I arrived, but yes, I was warned by many (including all of you) about what I should and should not expect. It has been eye-opening to say the least. I am venturing out alone now - today is my second day here at 6th of October and slowly but surely, I will learn the area.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ally,

Good to hear that you are getting your bearings.

You are right that there is much more class consciousness (or perhaps it is just more open) in Egypt than we are used to in North America. And naturally we often don't see the same 'boundaries' that they do.

Have fun!!

VS
Mark Loyd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Nice post Rana.
Does anyone NOT have a love/hate relationship with the place they live/call home?

Just the once tell us some of the things you hate about Istanbul.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that more appropriately posted to the Turkey section of this board?

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: