Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching jobs and wages in Australia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that anyone could consider southern accents to be harsher than those in the north. Like any other country, the cooler areas are more civilised, and the hotter the climate, the more ignorant, insular and parochial the population becomes. Additionally, there is always a substantial difference between the accents of the working and middle classes.

I grew up in Newcastle, and it's difficult to find a rougher, more working-class environment anywhere - or an uglier accent (fortunately my mother was from Melbourne). I left when I was 16, and since then have lived in Sydney, Auckland, Wellington, Melbourne, Launceston, and I'm currently in Townsville (which is about on par with Newcastle).

Melbourne is by far the most civilised city I have lived in. However, there are barbarians in every city. I consider the working class to be socially irrelevent, but of the middle class accents I've encountered, Melbourne's is the most pleasant, with Sydney a close second. Melbourne also has the highest standard of restaurants in the country, with pub food generally being better than most restaurants elsewhere. Lygon street in Carlton is basically an inner-city street of restaurants and take-aways, and last I heard it was the only location on the planet where a MacDonalds store had gone bankrupt.

The outer suburbs of any Australian city are appalling, and there you will find ignorance, insularity and parochialism that rivals the third world, if not the US. Don't judge civilised Australians by the vulgar squawking of the television-educated great unwashed Smile
Bisa Dong!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Teaching methods Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, KCA.

I'm in a rather unique situation in that I grew up in a bilingual household (Indonesian mother and English father) and am fluent in both languages. In fact, I can't do a full Indonesian major because there aren't enough units for me to do (I'm starting at advanced level) so I'm co-opting some linguistics units to complete the major.

What I'm afraid of is that schools might assign me only Indonesian classes since I'm a native speaker, at the expense of my true love - English literature. (I will graduate with a double major in English and Indonesian/linguistics.)

Would it be fair to say that students in Australia who take up a second language come from more affluent homes as opposed to ESL which is usually taught in schools where there's a heavy migrant population (for eg inner city schools)? I'm thinking of potential discipline problems.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bisa Dong!
KCA420

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by KCA420 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
calsimsek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot KCA420,

So from what you say things are still tight back home. I left over 12 years ago, so I'm well out of the loop. Form what you say I could expect about 2,500 per tax pay for a month. That sounds quiet low to me I can get over 1,800 U.S tax free in my hand, without any difficulty at all. If my sums are wrong please let me know but it looks like I will have to miss another season of football
Sechelt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I may be a bit late with this. But, I just read the OP, about teaching jobs in Australia. For information about transfering qualifications, try Mike Johnson at Canteach. His e-mail address is:
[email protected]
The website is www.canteach.net
He's a Canadian, now living in New Zealand and recruits mostly teacher Education students to study in NZ. Though, he's expanded to Aus. and even Hawaii. He has also assisted teachers find jobs (mostly those who have completed their studies in NZ). He's up to date on teacher qualifications and can help in having them assessed.
As you may have gathered, this deals mostly with NZ. However, he may be able to help with Aus.
As an aside, his recruitment fees for Ed. students are paid by the univeristies, not the students themselves. I don't know about teachers seeking jobs. But, an e-mail could answer that question and a few others...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: