Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT: Compensation Package
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God when I was in THE ME on my final contracts I had a sensible and compassionate employer ! Not in the UAE and certainly not HCT !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around the year you left, HCT was still sane. And there are still a number of employers in the Emirates who are as sane or saner than KFUPM... and they are also not in plastic Dubai.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: HCT Compensation Package Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS above covered lots of the current negatives. But, let me stress one point. In the past, HCT provided housing... usually a nice 2 bedroom flat in a decent location... and my first day, I was handed an envelope with 30,000 dhs (about US$8000) to furnish it. If I didn't finish my contract, a pro-rated amount of that number would be deducted from my final pay (fair enough... one could also sell the furniture and whatever one purchased... and make money on the deal). All utilities but telephone were already arranged, but I did get a monthly electric bill to pay. I never paid a deposit for anything. (and I departed on my last day from that flat to the airport)

Now you have to find your own housing, pay a full year's rent up front (US$12-20,000? in Abu Dhabi), furnish it (appliances, TV, furniture...), and pay all those "deposits" and arrange for utilities.

AND, you are on probation for the first 6 months at the end of which, HCT can say... um... no... been nice... good by. It doesn't happen often, but it is always a possibility. (same as you can leave if you wish at that time)

What had been one of the better employers in the Gulf is now one of the worst. Don't let its good reputation of the past fool you. With the end of the Foundations program looming, there is no way that this place is worth it.

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Upfront Housing Reply with quote

I do believe that most of the federal universities now give a housing allowance: HCT, Zayed and ECAA. Maybe we should do a vote. Some individuals make out quite well with the housing allowance system. It is quite possible to live well within the limits of the funds; the excess goes to the bank account, so it can be used for the electric bill, the water bill, a trip to Nepal, a new pair of shoes or a condo in Portugal. Nobody tracks the money.

However, those who can make the housing allowance work for them have been in the UAE for quite some time and know the neighborhoods and traffic patterns, and have the basics furnishing, sometimes accumulated from departing colleagues over a number of years or snatched off dubizzle.

Newbies come in at the high season. If HR helps them out at all, the new employees are probably shown the high-end flats. It's easy to get a new-comer to bite on a flat with full facilities and a sea-view; after all, we are living the high-life now in the UAE.

As the HR departments become more "localized", the issues of setting up housing is going to be dropped from their required job duties. In fact, that might be a good thing. An Emiratis setting up a housing option for you and your family could become quite a nepotistic operation.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: HCT Compensation Package Reply with quote

Hello,
Yes, as VS noted, we too were handed the 30,000 dhs for furniture upon arrival and dhs to cover food for one week at hotel. Car rentals are pricey. Not sure what taxi charges are now.

The best advice is to be economical and find bargains. It will be interesting to hear from newbies how they view all the sweeping changes.

PS

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to PS... her situation of getting a villa is unique to only one or two locations of HCT. In all of the other cities, only the top levels of management got a villa. The only teachers that I have known with villas had added to the allowance and were teaching couples (double salary, but not double benefits). If you are in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or Sharjah and probably Al Ain, it will be flats.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: HCT Compensation Package Reply with quote

Hello all,
Yes, VS is right. Apologies for not clarifying the types of accommodations available in the different emirates. Of course, a villa anywhere is a moot point, now that the housing allowance has been considerably shaved.

Rentals are much cheaper in Ras Al Khaimah, compared to Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

PS

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: HCT Compensation Package Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Hello,
Yes, as VS noted, we too were handed the 30,000 dhs for furniture upon arrival at the hotel where we were also handed dhs to cover food for one week (can't recall the amount) ...
We were shown our accommodations before being taken to IKEA in Dubai to purchase the basics. ...
Is it possible to find a flat for 20,000 for the year, Gulezar? Yes, there can be substantial savings if one buys used items from departing colleagues. You don't want to ship all of those items home, either. The shipping company doesn't tell you about all the stateside fees ... Travel light!

The best advice then is to be economical and find bargains. It will be interesting to hear from newbies how they view all the sweeping changes.
PS

We are all talking in the past tense here. Although I was not at HTC but another university, I remember the week hotel stay, the shopping for basics, the 30,000 AED for settling in and viewing the apartments which were on offer, usually a couple at least. The new hires got together and did Pinky's and Karama Shopping as well as the IKEA shopping. The colleagues who fitted out the apartments with IKEA realized that all their places looked the same after a bit.

But that is all the way it was. The newbies will not experience "our past". It is best to wait and see if they find out if the contracts they signed, are the contracts that they get and if they are satisfied.

A flat for 20,000 a year? I'm not sure where that figure comes from. I will say this. I use half of my housing allowance each month for my rent. Others at my university do use the full amount and others use even less than half of the housing allowance. This is the new reality. The universities don't care if you live on a friend's sofa. If you are looking at a contract, just has to take the monthly housing allowance x 12 and then search dubbizzle for housing in that price range in the city where you are going to be stationed; then check and see if there is anything which might be acceptable for less. If you go a bit less, than you can cover DEWA and other connections with the allowance.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: 20000? Reply with quote

Quote:
A flat for 20,000 a year?

Yes, it is possible to rent a place for $20,000 USD a year. That's about 75000 AED, mostly studios or 1 bedrooms for Dubai. Abu Dhabi would probably get you more for your dirhams. I would hope that HR or colleagues could give newbies advice on which areas to avoid, but of course, that is just a hope.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the numbers from a website talking about the economics of living in The UAE. Those of us who have been around and know the system will be more successful in maximizing what we get out of a housing allowance. But with the huge turnover in teachers occurring now and for the next few years as everyone who can gets out, it means lots of new teachers. And it will be gulf newbies, as anyone who has been around won't consider taking a job with them.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: HCT Compensation Package Reply with quote

Yes, VS, as for the Gulf newbies, it's a formidable experience to quickly learn the ropes and know which hoops to jump through to maximize savings potential. I don't envy them at all. I feel rather sad to hear about the impending demise of what was once a lucrative option for devoted TEFLERs. The best part of teaching there was, as you said, working collaboratively with a talented, devoted pool of professionals.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds with respect to contracts and numbers intending to renew, esp. if, as NS commented previously, the Foundations Program will be eliminated in 2018. As Gulezar commented, our housing and other perks are in the Past Tense.

Cheers,
PS
dustdevil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Around the year you left, HCT was still sane. And there are still a number of employers in the Emirates who are as sane or saner than KFUPM... and they are also not in plastic Dubai.

VS

HCT in the form of DWC was still sane when I left it in 2002, and the next two years at the Petroleum Institute were even better. They provided US$12,000 in setting-up allowance and a then-good salary of DH15K/mo. The housing they provided was amazing. We had to buy two living room sets, the room was so large. But I left in 2004 thinking I'd accumulated enough money. That was the end of the good times in the UAE. My final six years before I retired this past May 1st were with a US/Saudi military position in Qassim province, right at the Qassim airport, with great salary, housing, company car (usually unshared) and literally walking distance to direct flights throughout the Middle East. Usually Dubai provided my worldwide transit point; sometimes I just went for a Dubai R&R weekend. God am I glad to be out of that mess. But if I were advising anyone to teach English in the Middle East, I'd tell them to try, if qualified, for Saudi military jobs--and then, only certain acceptable ones.
dustdevil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: HCT Compensation Package Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Yes, VS, as for the Gulf newbies, it's a formidable experience to quickly learn the ropes and know which hoops to jump through to maximize savings potential. I don't envy them at all. I feel rather sad to hear about the impending demise of what was once a lucrative option for devoted TEFLERs. The best part of teaching there was, as you said, working collaboratively with a talented, devoted pool of professionals.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds with respect to contracts and numbers intending to renew, esp. if, as NS commented previously, the Foundations Program will be eliminated in 2018. As Gulezar commented, our housing and other perks are in the Past Tense.

Cheers,
PS

It's difficult for some, me included, to be devoted to trying to educate little Arab brats, especially those cloistered girls. I had to be devoted to being as professional as I could, because that's what I was paid for. I was devoted to creating practical materials that other instructors could actually use. But the students were not my "children," as Arab supervisors always tell you to consider them. Give me a break.

Last edited by dustdevil on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
dustdevil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

Ha ha, plastic in some ways yes. If you're expecting the best parts of Muscat, or Aqaba as it was when T.E. Lawrence arrived, you're sadly deluded. But if you like a cosmopolitan, free-as-you-can-get-in-the-ME kind of city, and if you're a single man who likes Asian women..there is no other place in the Middle East. Still, much better if you can just hop on a flight to East Asia. In any case, both my ex-wife and I were very happy I got assigned to Dubai and not f-ing Fujairah or RAk or some damned place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: