Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job offer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NilSatis82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
You find me a Pole in their earning prime who thinks 2100Zl a month is enough and I'll sing opera in the rynek naked in January.

But the OP isn't in his earning prime - he's only just qualified.

dragonpiwo wrote:
You won't have the option of living with mum and dad, or one of those cheap housing association flats, or free medical care or long-term pension

A flat is being provided so no need to worry about flats. Also, how many TEFL jobs (anywhere) provide a pension? The OP says he only plans to stay one year so not much of an issue anyway.

dragonpiwo wrote:
If you stay for the long haul, 5,000 is the very minimum you'll need if you're going to pay a mortgage, school fees, toys, winter meds, school trips, household insurance, medical insurance, a car, petrol and so on. Of course, if you're single and remain so, 5k will be enough as long as you never stop working and/or don't get sick.

As above, if you read what the OP says, this is all pretty much completely irrelevant.
NilSatis82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salamiandbacon wrote:
Quote:
salamiandbacon wrote:
And do you think you could have an average quality of life on that? Buy a modest flat? run an old banger so you could take the occasional trip? have a child and afford the occasional icecream or day at the zoo?

Who said that it was enough to buy a flat or run a car?

Well, the OP was about whether there would be enough to do more than just exist. I think the normal, quite modest aspirations of the average Joe do run to such things as cars, a place to live and perhaps some sort of family life. Crikey, even convicted drug dealers and murderers have a right to family life; why not TEFL teachers in Poland?

Personally, I don't think a job that does not allow you the freedom to do more than just scrape by is one worth taking if one has a choice.

See above comment to Dragonpiwo - most of this doesn't apply to the OP.

salamiandbacon wrote:
I don't see why you are so desperate to say that 2100zl is good, when it isn't. It is very mediocre.

Where did I say it was good? All I said was that it is almost certainly above the average salary where the job is situated and that whether it is enough would depend on how often he wants to escape to somewhere more exciting.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

OK I'll just stick to what I said originally. 2100 a month is dire. I would never accept a job that paid so badly. Even without my son, I couldn't live on it. I'd go mad being that poor.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

[quote="dragonpiwo"]

Correct me if I'm wrong but Simon worked for the BC, possibly the best paid school job in Poland. The jury's still out on Ecocks pending his visa status and he's done the kids thing etc. Delph is so contradictory I don't know what to make of his posts sometimes. Shake seems fairly balanced, but I'd hazard a guess that he has no kids in Poland, like Delph.

Whatever the bickering on this site, Poland isn't cheap for many things and the schools pay shite. Some people like that uncertain life of the private student route...personally, I don't and never did. It's a fact that most of the teachers I know, most of whom have been here years and speak Polish, do other jobs and are involved in the hustle; they live hand to mouth. Some have mortgages, few have cars and for some it will be a real struggle to pay for the wedding without family help. Most arrived as twenty-something single men.

I haven't chimed on on this running argument/discussion for a long time, mainly because my situation is very different than that of everyone else here. I arrived in Poland six years ago at the tender age of 65 and have been working at the same school in Gdansk for those six years. Through private lessons, which I thoroughly enjoy and have never advertised for and renting out the spare room in my flat-almost always to a fellow teacher or friends, I net about 5000zl a month.

I live five minutes from school, don't have a car-don't want one and don't need one-and don't live a lavish lifestyle, something I didn't do even when I lived in California and made a whole lot more money than I do in Poland, especially when I was married.

My kids are grown, married and now I have seven grandchildren.

In two months I'll receive my pension from the US and my net will increase to about 11-12k per month, depending on currency fluctuations. They happen.

The first year I was here I netted about 3k a month and had no private lessons. I had my own flat and obviously didn't live high on the hog but I enjoyed the year nonetheless. Things have changed a little since then and they're going to change again soon.

My only point is that we all come here for different reasons and different expectations.

How much or how little anyone earns is their business, and I'll never criticize their decisions nor give kudos. It is what it is. If someone comes here for a year his expectations and experiences are his and his alone. I'm here for the long run, however long that is. I came to Poland because I've been interested in Polish history since I was nine years old and because I wanted to experience living in a European country. I didn't come because I was dissatisfied or disillusioned with life in the US, nor was I looking for a woman. I'm very happy here, regardless of how much I made, make now, or will make in the future.

Make of that what you will.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:

In two months I'll receive my pension from the US and my net will increase to about 11-12k per month

and that's how it's done.

scottie1113 wrote:

Quote:
My kids are grown, married and now I have seven grandchildren.

Quote:

I gotta say scottie1113, you've always been an interesting one. 65 years old and you drop your life and move to RP. You not only left your children in the USA but all your children's children. "Well kids, maybe you'll see grandpa one day, he lives in Poland now." I mean hell.....you're what.....71 now? TEFL'er in RP?

It's just an unusual tale for sure, but hey, who am I to judge. Different strokes.
salamiandbacon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie wrote
[/quote]
How much or how little anyone earns is their business, and I'll never criticize their decisions nor give kudos. It is what it is. If someone comes here for a year his expectations and experiences are his and his alone. I'm here for the long run, however long that is. I came to Poland because I've been interested in Polish history since I was nine years old and because I wanted to experience living in a European country. I didn't come because I was dissatisfied or disillusioned with life in the US, nor was I looking for a woman. I'm very happy here, regardless of how much I made, make now, or will make in the future.

Quote:

You're right. There is only one way to live your life, and that is your own way, but I would argue that if someone is new to the job and the country you should give the advice that you believe to be true if someone asks for an opinion.
Personally, I think 2100 in the hand is low. If someone wants to do a year and move on, they won't have much in the account to move on with. After bills, they may not have much left over to enjoy the country with if this is their only source of income.
Someone born and raised in a small town may be happier to accept a lower salary because they do not have to worry about such luxuries as plane tickets to see family, eating in the summer when you've got a 9 month contract, or setting yourself up somewhere else when life in a small polish town wears a bit thin after 2 years.

scottie1113

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

I gotta say scottie1113, you've always been an interesting one. 65 years old and you drop your life and move to RP. You not only left your children in the USA but all your children's children. "Well kids, maybe you'll see grandpa one day, he lives in Poland now." I mean hell.....you're what.....71 now? TEFL'er in RP?

Oops. I was 59 when I came here. I'm 65 now. I hope to be still teaching when I'm 71.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Scottie Reply with quote

Well done...you've got it made and good luck to you. I was in the tri-city over the summer and it's cheaper than Poznan, which amazed me as it's much better up north.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:

Oops. I was 59 when I came here.

forgetfulness. just another sign of old age Very Happy

you keep doin' what you do, Scottie Cool
stonethecrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, it does seem that it's on the low side. I completely agree with whoever mentioned working to finance someone else's business (or fortune, which is what they must make, in this case, from their 3 schools).

Just to clear one thing up (not that my finances are of great interest) I did say that I would have an extra £100 coming from the UK. So I'd have about 2600zl per month at my disposal.

However, without having the contacts to move and start teaching private lessons, there isn't much that's better out there. I've seen a couple that are 2500-3000zl. Does this mean that the more generously paid jobs have been taken or do they not exist?
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
n two months I'll receive my pension from the US and my net will increase to about 11-12k per month

With all of that "extra" income you could achieve every tefler's dream of quitting your teaching job and becoming a waster in the country of your choice. No responsibility except to wander from pub to pub drinking and eating local food. Smile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonethecrow wrote:
However, without having the contacts to move and start teaching private lessons, there isn't much that's better out there. I've seen a couple that are 2500-3000zl. Does this mean that the more generously paid jobs have been taken or do they not exist?
Sure they exist, and they may well be hiring. But most of the better paying schools don't post on tefl.com and the like, and they look for experienced teachers. You'll probably hear about them through word of mouth.

You're first priority should be getting some solid classroom experience under your belt so you're more competitive for the better jobs, if you decide to stay in Poland, of course. I remember my first year teaching was quite intense and I spent ages in the staff preparing for lessons which I could easily prepare in 5 min. now. Another reason teachers earn a lot more after a couple years of exp. is that it simply takes less time to prepare.

See this for more info: https://sites.google.com/site/englishdroid2/school-life/new-bugs
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I hope you've got savings/mum and dad to fall back on. Try and get some privates asap.

Gumtree is excellent as a source for private work. Go to any search engine type: Gumtree Gdansk (or any town) praca nauczyciele angielskiego
You should get a whole list of jobs in your town. You'll need a Pole to help you though.
Infinite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Quote:
2,000 NET per month is actually a very good salary for people in small towns, most don't even make that.

It might be alright for someone established in a small town, who lived there for his/her whole life, has family etc.

I do think it is reckless to in anyway suggest that the offer IN THE OP is an acceptable salary for an English teacher. You even bring up the 5000 zl/month for a small town is possible/affords a decent standard of living--agreed. Why anyone would work for half of that is beyond me. I think it is possible to reach a middle ground if people take off both the rose-colored and the Prada glasses Smile

Well, the main difference between Poles and native speakers is quite simple - native speakers are immigrants... Poles are not. If you look at the life of immigrants back in your home country I'm pretty sure you'd agree that they have to work much harder to earn the bare minimum and with that, they can't afford to live the life of an average minimum wage earning citizen. THAT goes without saying... however it seems to me that most people on this forum haven't really thought of it from that perspective. For some reason, anglo-saxon expats don't think of themselves as immigrants... it might have something to do with the colonial mind set or a slight superiority complex, but living abroad, that's exactly what we are and living an immigrant life is what we do... yet, we have a special asset which all other nations lack. We are born with a job.

The era of Poles being able to support themselves on the abysmal minimum wage is drawing to an end. The post communist regulation which allowed them to buy out their flats for pennies on a dollar is over. The next generation will join the wonderful western world of living on borrowed time and money. They will slave at the office for peanuts and accept contracts drawn somewhere in the gray and overcast buildings of Wall St. hoping for a quick promotion and their own office [corporate job is already a wet dream for most young Poles] in order to keep up with payments on their brand new, modern flats, cars and plasma TV's. The dream has been sold, now it's time for us to watch it as it turns into a nightmare as it did back home.

It's only a matter of time before the thousands of factory workers refuse to work for the 1800pln per month and demand more. With the economy the way it is and the constant threat of the impending crisis looming over everyone's heads the 1800 with some OT and a steady job in small town communities is more than enough... for naive and all knowing native speakers, it's unthinkable, unfathomable or insane. Yet, back home, millions of our fellow citizens earn $8 per hour... and live.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Infinite...and your point is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: