Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pytheas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Advice Needed Reply with quote

After 7 years teaching in Thailand, I really fed up and have always wanted to see China. I was hoping some experienced members here can give me some advice.

In Thailand I have taught EFL and Computers, at Secondary and University. I am PGCE and EFL Qualified.

I was wondering where would be the best place to work, University, Secondary School or Private. In Thailand you tend to avoid private if you can as at the other two contracts mean something at least.

One thing is what time of year is the best, In Thailand schools start May, so March is the best time to start to look.

Also being PGCE qualified working in Secondary Schools sounds good, I've seen some amazing jobs on this site, 13-15 hours a week, 3 days off. I wondered what's the catch? Is this even true? And what the class size is? As I don't mind a lower paid job for fewer hours, I'm more about the lifestyle than the cash.

However if I want to teach computers not EFL University seems the only place.

So if any experienced people could advice me the direction to go I would be very grateful.

Thanks
mambawamba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The academic year starts in August/September depending on what type of institution you work for. Language schools are year round with summer being the busiest.

General rule, if a job looks too good to true it is.

If you're PGCE and EFL qualified then look at International Schools or at University pathway programmes, there is absolutely no need to be looking at low paid jobs with your qualifications.

Too many people sell themselves and their abilities short, know what you're worth!
Pytheas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

that's annoying about having to wait until August though.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger quesiton is WHEN do you want to come to China?
Burke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: WHy come to China - the pay is amongst the worst! Reply with quote

Why do you want to come here? As a tourist China is a fun place to visit and explore, but to work here - it sucks. Everyone here will take you for a sucker and cheat you ten different ways yo never even thought of. But the pay here really sucks - 23 other countries pay a whole lot more. I suggest you check out www.ChinaScamBusters.com

Yeah, I know I am here, but I made the dumb mistake of getting my girlfriend pregnant and now I am stuck here until she graduates from University with master degree and then we're outta here!
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: WHy come to China - the pay is amongst the worst! Reply with quote

Burke wrote:
Why do you want to come here? As a tourist China is a fun place to visit and explore, but to work here - it sucks. Everyone here will take you for a sucker and cheat you ten different ways yo never even thought of. But the pay here really sucks - 23 other countries pay a whole lot more. I suggest you check out www.ChinaScamBusters.com

There probably are 23 other countries that pay more than China does, but places like Dubai and Qatar etc are not going to hire someone with only an unrelated BA and a couple of years experience. Those higher paying jobs require higher qualifications and more experience. Whoever would have thought?
Pytheas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, that's really interesting. I have checked out the recruiters in Google with "scam" as advised on the site you recommended. A lot of these recruiters are offering jobs at secondary schools, middle schools, high schools or experimental schools, presumably a similar thing.

I was wondering, once you are employed in a state school with a contract, isn't that it? You're finished with recruitment and dealing with a pretty standardised government institution.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WHy come to China - the pay is amongst the worst! Reply with quote

Burke wrote:
, but I made the dumb mistake of getting my girlfriend pregnant

there are solutions to that problem
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pytheas wrote:
Thanks for the info, that's really interesting. I have checked out the recruiters in Google with "scam" as advised on the site you recommended. A lot of these recruiters are offering jobs at secondary schools, middle schools, high schools or experimental schools, presumably a similar thing.

I was wondering, once you are employed in a state school with a contract, isn't that it? You're finished with recruitment and dealing with a pretty standardised government institution.

Yeah - pretty much.
And, once here, you shouldn't have to use a recruiter to move schools.
Other FTs (either colleagues or met socially) will give you leads and there is always the cold call on other local schools that interest you.
But do it all well before the June/July holiday period.
Burke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: WHy come to China - the pay is amongst the worst! Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
Burke wrote:

There probably are 23 other countries that pay more than China does, but places like Dubai and Qatar etc are not going to hire someone with only an unrelated BA and a couple of years experience. Those higher paying jobs require higher qualifications and more experience. Whoever would have thought?

Things are changing in the Middle East. The real problem is that they give you a mountain of paperwork to fill out and 3 pages of rules you have to follow. Because most westerners are not going to agree not to drink or have liquor, chase women, etc. they have to pay a premium to get us over there. And who the fck wants to live in 35 degree heat? But Sweden and Denmark seem sweet to me and when you google the forums there, not many foreigners have many bad things to say versus all the BS in China.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: WHy come to China - the pay is amongst the worst! Reply with quote

Burke wrote:
Javelin of Radiance wrote:
Burke wrote:

Things are changing in the Middle East. The real problem is that they give you a mountain of paperwork to fill out and 3 pages of rules you have to follow. Because most westerners are not going to agree not to drink or have liquor, chase women, etc. they have to pay a premium to get us over there. And who the fck wants to live in 35 degree heat? But Sweden and Denmark seem sweet to me and when you google the forums there, not many foreigners have many bad things to say versus all the BS in China.

Western and Northern European countries are great for living. The downside for ESL teachers is that most of these countries have an abundance of their own people perfectly capable of teaching English. Second, the foreigners who do get hired to teach ESL are typically from an EU country (UK, Ireland), which is usually a requirement for the work visa. Third, the salaries for ESL teachers in that part of Europe are nothing to write home about and most or all of your money would be eaten up just living there. Central and Eastern Europe is more lax in who they hire but the salaries there are equal to or lower than they are in China. Not to mention the EU economy is in the tank right now. I think a quick look at the European part of this forum (esp posts made by spiral78) confirms most of what I wrote here.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no ESL / EFL work in Sweden or Denmark really. The Scandanavian countries have outstanding state schooling and the demand is generally satisfied within that system. If there is an EFL market ... its tiny.

As mentioned above, EU labour laws mean Americans are pretty much out o the loop.

I have a friend in Germany working in EFL. Another small market because the state education is so strong. He works exclusively teaching private business English classes for 200 RMB per hour. (someone should tell him about the GFTU - German division of the CTFU)

TEFL in the UK starts at around 100 RMB per hour ... If you have a DELTA or an MA TESOL you are looking at 200+ but its hard to find a full time permanent contract anywhere.

I was offered a job in Poland in 2011. 22 teaching hours a week. All age groups incl kids and in-company business English classes. Weekends and evenings... 3500 RMB a month. Housing included but not utilities.

Looked at Spanish jobs a few times too. Standard would appear to be 25 hours a week (evenings and weekends probably) for 10,000 RMB - 12,000 RMB. No housing included ... most people seem to share apartments which eat about 50% of the salary. Spain isnt a cheap place to live either.

Yep - why come to China, the pay is so bad!

*Ive converted prices to RMB just to make it easier.

Quote:

Pytheus

I guess the problem that is often discussed with recruiters is the lack of transparency before you start working in that state school. Visa arrangements and working conditions and hours may not be described accurately and some people may arrive to discover they cant get a visa, the working hours are different etc etc. I guess many a person has discovered that after starting work and at that stage the recruiter isnt interested, and the employer blames the recruiter and uses them as a scapegoat for the employees unhappiness ... resulting in stalemate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: