Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jobs in Uruguay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supertraveller

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: jobs in Uruguay Reply with quote

Hello, was thinking of heading to montevideo in september to look for a job. What is the situation down there? How is the job market? Have good experience, CELTA and have worked at good schools, what are my chances? Thanks for any information. Take care.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Uruguay Reply with quote

Beware, the academic year runs from March to December in South America.
misterbrownpants

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Uruguay - me encanta uruguay!! Reply with quote

Hola!
so i heard through the grapevine (or really through the board) that you wanted to teach in uruguay.. well i don't really have "formal" experience teaching there.. but i do have volunteer experience teaching english there.. for 3 months.. and i can HONESTLY tell you that it is my most favourite place in the whole entire world EVER!!!
The most popular english institution throughout uruguay is the ANGLO.. teaching british english.. and most of the other institutions throughout Montevideo teach british english as well.. the Queen Elizabeth Academy.. (thats HIGH CLASS CUSTOMERS..) but i do know of some of the smaller low scale schools that teach "north american" english..
what i found was because i was a volunteer i was automatically accepted.. being a native english speaker.. no problems right?? but when i started to ask about real life paying jobs.. and possible contacts etc.. they sorta backed away..
the problem was that despite my TESOL status.. the fact that my spanish was VERY beginner.. they were not confident that i would know what my students were thinking or their train of thought...
also the economic status in uruguay isn't top notch.. many people are struggling with the very basics in life.. and to expect a salary that is higher than what a native uruguay would make.. is kinda.. i dunno.. i wouldn't want that.. its like taking away from their damaged economy...
but really the long and short answer to your question.. is that no you don't really need anything to teach in uruguay.. i hear that private lessons are where its at.. and i would recommend heading outside of Montevideo and checking out the smaller cities.. its cheaper to live.. and they may be in more need of you...
regardless of what you decide to do.. let me know how it goes.. it sounds like a great adventure.. and i hope to return in the near future Smile
also check out berlitz... they are hardcore in uruguay as well
hope that helps! Smile
supertraveller

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: atmosphere Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I am canadian, and i have two years experience and speak spanish. I have taught at international house along with another really good private school in Poland, so i think my c.v is top notch to go there and get a job. Sounds like you had a good time. Are there beaches in the city of montevideo? How is it as a place to live, nice parks, good nightlife and all? I am interested in quality of life, i want to relax and have fun, and meet the locals, is that possible there? Thanks again.
misterbrownpants

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: living and stuff Reply with quote

they are some beaches in montevideo.. but not super nice ones.. the really nice ones are in Punta Del Este.. and the smaller cities around there.. thats where you can do surfing and all of that.
the quality of living can be really good or really poor.. it depends how much you want to put into it.. you can find a cheap renting apartement downtown montevideo for around 150$ us /month.. food is cheap.. and beer is cheaper!! Smile
the people you will fall in love with.. (i know i did) the culture has been very americanized.. but they still have their true culture that shines through all the time..
you can totally relax there.. go dancing (candombe) in the streets.. and buy tinto vino at the local convience store Smile its a great country..
im sure you will do fine there.. let me know how you make out
[email protected]
i want to head back down in that direction next.. so if you are there.. you can let me know how the job hunt goes..
hope my information is was useful !Smile
viva uruguay!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: