Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the Chinese the problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twilothunder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complaining about a fellow employee's actions is one thing, and perfectly acceptable.

"Backseat" managing such as advising them to fire someone would get you a few sharp words or worse from any boss I've worked for, here or back home.

Just so you know.
kev7161

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Backseat" managing such as advising them to fire someone would get you a few sharp words or worse from any boss I've worked for, here or back home.

No, you're wrong.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B4UGO, you've just put 1.4 billion people into a nutshell. I've seen that happen, but certainly not all of them are like that.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
B4UGO, you've just put 1.4 billion people into a nutshell. I've seen that happen, but certainly not all of them are like that.

Haha, that's one mighty big nutshell! Very Happy

Warm regards,
fat_chris
twilothunder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev7161 wrote:
Quote:

No, you're wrong.

Thank God I don't have to work with you. You sound like a 10 year old.

5000 message board posts to boot. Well done.
kev7161

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank God I don't have to work with you.

The feeling's mutual, I'm sure.

Quote:
You sound like a 10 year old.

In my heart I am.

Quote:
5000 message board posts to boot. Well done.

5433 as of this post, but who's counting? And thank you for the unexpected compliment! I'm touched.
Burke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Wake up and smell the coffee... Reply with quote

Date a Chinese girl long enough and she will eventually tell you the truth about what Chinese think about us... We are here to be copied, used, abused, and discarded for the least money possible. Its the Chinese tradition M.O.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wake up and smell the coffee... Reply with quote

Burke wrote:
Date a Chinese girl long enough and she will eventually tell you the truth about what Chinese think about us... We are here to be copied, used, abused, and discarded for the least money possible. Its the Chinese tradition M.O.

Not all Chinese think that way, of course.
But, I have heard it from many of them.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:
I am bailing in June, anyone want to by a 2010 Jeep Cherokee?

No, not even in the US
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wake up and smell the coffee... Reply with quote

Burke wrote:

read this lopsided view of laowai in china:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2013/stories/differences-between-chinese-men-and-laowai-foreign-men.html

Says all teachers in China would be beggers back home.
jg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've heard that one too. However, even the most lopsided halfwit among the foreign teachers here does better than most of the population in China's best and brightest cities, and the Chinese know it and it burns them up. The other day I heard a Chinese tell a foreign teacher that she suspected he had come to school hungover his first day, and that their school needed a foreign teacher, not a clown. Harsh, but the "clown" made probably 8000 more a month than her and worked half the hours she did.

I really like Shanghai, like China, and enjoy the company of both foreigners and Chinese, but sometimes the veiled animosity among both sides is discomfiting. That said, I much prefer being on this side of the equation than the other.

Someone once said every country gets the immigrants it deserves.
coratheexplorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wake up and smell the coffee... Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:

read this lopsided view of laowai in china:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2013/stories/differences-between-chinese-men-and-laowai-foreign-men.html

What a well-written article, and great website. Do you have any other links to share?
coratheexplorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are the Chinese the problem? Reply with quote

BeijingBill wrote:
I just got out of a job in Beijing, and everything I read about the Chinese is somewhat true. I will say that the strangest people I have come across were the westerners. Just at my school you could make a damn reality show on. Is this the norm at ya'll's schools?

What kind of school was it?
Burke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkcity wrote:
In the first place, it takes a weird person to drop everything and move to a country that doesn't speak your language for work.

I've met a lot of alcoholics in this industry, as well as many who are unhireable in their home country or are escaping something (child support, bankruptcy, etc).

So yeah, lots of weirdos, myself included.

Not necessarily. Some people are natural explorers who always want to see a new place and see how the rest of the world lives. I notice this itch gets stronger the older I get. And I see a lot of people here trying to get away from a bad or painful divorce. It's really a mixed bag of expats here, but the ones who came to make money got frustrated and left within a year. And some folks lost their ass in the 2008 financial collapse and the only place they can afford to live is Mexico and China
xiguagua

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twilothunder wrote:
Yeah, nice one Kev, suggesting to a boss that a co-worker (who hasn't actually done anything to you) gets fired?

Would that be "acceptable behaviour" in whichever country you come from? I doubt it very much.

This is a ridiculous attitude. So I shouldn't report a FT that is molesting students every chance he gets because he hasn't done anything to me personally? GTFO with that. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: