Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egregious Stuff Students Say and Do
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Egregious Stuff Students Say and Do Reply with quote

I think we've discussed this in the mists of the past, but surely we have a never-ending fresh supply of zingers.

What's shocking in your classroom lately?

I've recently had a student who was utterly convinced that because she felt she hadn't done her best possible work on an exam, she should absolutely be allowed to re-sit the test. She repeated, with great conviction, that this was fair because she'd notified the teacher in charge immediately, rather than waiting to actually see her mark.

Happens to be a product of the US school system, this one Confused
Apparently this is a policy at some US institutions these days....
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not anything shocking, but... Usually, around the first two weeks of a new module (new students), an hour before class ends, my Saudi girls test me with, "Teacher, let us go! Our drivers are outside waiting for us! The other teachers let the students leave early! Pleeeeeze, teeeecheeer!" I smile and calmly inform them that I'm not like the other teachers. Wink
DebMer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not shocking anymore (it was at first), but certainly egregious to me are otherwise kind, respectful and courteous adult students who still don't turn off their cell ringers and still do answer calls in class (then "politely" hurry out of the room while carrying on a conversation in a stage whisper) in spite of my requests to refrain from cell use during class. Also students who are asked multiple times during the semester to schedule doctor and dentist appointments outside of class hours (only 9 hours per week!) who bring me doctor and dentist notes the day after an absence to justify their absence. Shocked
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not used to the casual anti-Semitism and general racism that some Russian students can give voice to. Even highly-educated ones.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A peculiar one - learners not knowing their fellow classmates' names. Even after several weeks or months together. Small groups of six or seven, at that. How can you not know their names, never mind the teacher's name? Tends to undermine the whole notion of a 'communicative' classroom Sad
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Still not used to the casual anti-Semitism and general racism that some Russian students can give voice to. Even highly-educated ones.

In my experience its the "intelligent" ones who are most racist in Japan. Shocked

Many regular people will say "live and let live" but when the "foreign expert" arrives and rattles off his copious knowledge of forgein behaviours then many nice students think hes a genius for understanding the way "those people" behave etc.... Confused

Rolling Eyes

I compleained once and said, "I don't think that's nice!" Cool
jaffa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good-looking Chinese chick/student: Do you like head?

Me: Sure.

Chick: My Grandmother says I should have head every day.

[Nb. She was talking about fish heads, an edible delicacy in the Orient.]
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite students, but I once overheard a colleague saying, 'It doesn't matter that I failed my Delta, I'll just do a Masters instead.' Language learners at least have the excuse that we may have misunderstood their outrageous statements of nonsense. Fellow teachers, on the other hand.... Confused
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good-looking Chinese chick/student

Falls under Sasha's category of egregious things teachers say, IMO.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last semester,I caught a student using cheat notes during a formal inclass quiz. Even after confiscating the physical cheat notes as evidence (infront of all the other students), he still denied that he was cheating.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear cmp45,

Well, look on the bright side. At least your lessons on note-taking seem to have been successful Very Happy.

Regards,
John
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear cmp45,

Well, look on the bright side. At least your lessons on note-taking seem to have been successful Very Happy.

Regards,
John

Laughing if only that were true ...in this particular instance ...
...so much info was crammed on a 1" X 1" square piece of paper; I would have needed a magnifying glass to read it.
denise

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of cheating...

A while back, when I was living in Oman, a student handed me a "research paper" that was nothing more than a page of a book photocopied. I could see the edge of the page as a faint outline on the photocopy, and it said something like "page 345".

Nice try, sir. Laughing

d
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my students turned in several of "her" assignments late with her name and the dates written over white correction ink. Hmm... the correction ink was still wet on one of the worksheets. Moreover, she used black ink for her name yet the responses on the pages were in blue and in obviously different handwriting. She smiled sweetly when she handed over the work and continued to smile even when she saw that I got some of the correction ink on my finger. I said nothing but gave her one my "Seriously?" looks. She didn't put up a protest the next day when I informed her that she wasn't going to get credit for another student's work.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've told my best cheating story before, but probably a few years back at least. Please just skip if you recall this one:-)

We had a DOS at our university who was a real (strong) character. She was quietly called 'Stalinetta' and 'Napoleonetta' by the teachers - we basically thought she was annoying and slightly funny, but some of our students were honestly afraid of her.

Including a cohort of young Chinese pre-meds.

They were taking a high-stakes final exam. Their admissions into the medical program hinged on their success on this exam. There were about 40 of the, and I and a friend were proctoring the exam. We were at the rear of the room, and the students were quietly working.
When the door to the room flew open with a huge BANG, and there stood the DOS (in all her fearful glory).

Everyone was startled, including one poor girl who had been successfully hiding a pocket translator on her lap.

The translator fell to the floor. It was the kind that can speak. It began to repeat

KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL

Shocked Very Happy Laughing

I dashed over and kicked the thing, then picked it up some distance away, and asked 'Whose is this???! (though of course I knew very well which poor child had dropped it).

DOS, needless to say, was apoplectic. Shrieked at students for a few minutes then left with even bigger BANG.

My friend and I never told anyone whose translator it was. The poor girl had already been sufficiently punished; she came to us still pale and shaking an hour later to hand in her paper, and never asked for the device back.

Anyway, it's since made a useful cautionary tale about the risks of trying to cheat with translators. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: