Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Do You Think Of This School?(Thoughtful Replies Please)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thnks for the reply NoBillyNo, just had a quick look on her Wikipedia entry, she sounds like quite a controversial character.
And you did say "educators", implying you had more than one name to offer

I am most recently acquainted with her due to the publication of her book so without thinking I thought this is a good place to start. Actually student surveys were a yearly process at my old digs where I stayed for over 10 years....I have worked for this uni for over 7 years now and we have done them for all that time. Since our teachers have little to no supervision they are worth while. If another thread develops, we can start exploring changes to the education system by examining different educators and their solution to the problems faced by schools.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Health Check Reply with quote

Actually, the health check is one reason I might avoid China altogether. My local GP in 2010 said categorically that he could not do the health check, it was not NHS work end of story. But the MAASTA Travel Clinic in Edinburgh could. I want to work in a university, or a high school. Universities that show interest in me tend to include the health check as part of the application package they send me.

But if, as I fear, the technical institute in Kaifeng is covering something, it's even less reason to pay to see a doctor, isn't it?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The health check could be a hot button issue here. If you are expected to fork over $700 usd for a health check that in all realility will have no effect on your visa or employment in China and you will most likely never get reimbusred for it I would try to skirt the issue if you can.

Brit friends told me they had to pay these kind of fees in the UK and then when arriving in China were told they have to get a local medical check anyways - sometimes the school paid for it and sometimes the teacher paid for it (China med check). The general concensus was the UK medical was a complete waste of their money.

If you really have your heart set on a city or a school then work with them and be upfront - you don't want to - or can't - get a med check in the UK.

As far as month-by-month employment based on students reviews - well please, that isn't even worth a comment.
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Health Check Reply with quote

JRJohn wrote:
Actually, the health check is one reason I might avoid China altogether. My local GP in 2010 said categorically that he could not do the health check, it was not NHS work end of story. But the MAASTA Travel Clinic in Edinburgh could. I want to work in a university, or a high school. Universities that show interest in me tend to include the health check as part of the application package they send me.

But if, as I fear, the technical institute in Kaifeng is covering something, it's even less reason to pay to see a doctor, isn't it?

Find another GP. My local NHS doctor in Edinburgh did one without the x-ray and a few other bits for about 80 quid if I remember right. Most, if not all NHS medical centres will do a range of private consultations like medicals for a fixed fee, which the receptionist should be able to give you the details of. You don't need to go to your own GP for that either, since it's not NHS work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: