Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bringing children all for the adventure
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: fun for the kids ! Reply with quote

I think you should listen to chi-chi. This is a risky business and with three dependent children and no second income you are taking risks. If you are certified in your own country you might get a job with an international school - but they often prefer to hire teaching couples. Unfair ? That is correct. Life is unfair. Direct all complaints to the Creator of Heaven and Earth.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Married, with children Reply with quote

I have done it and continue to do it. I teach English and have supported a wife and child. Granted it can be tough. Thailand was actually quite easy as the cost of living is quite low and Thais are wonderful with kids, especially mixed race and European kids. My daughter is the former. She was was born in Thailand and we were there until she was three so schools were not a priority. Babysitting was a hoot. Neighbors and even our laundry lady would look after her for nothing.
Next stop on our ESL and family jaunt was Hawaii. I really liked my job and all, we all love the islands and consider them to be a paradise on Earth, but the high cost of rent had us bailing out after a year.
Now we find our little family unit in New Zealand. I make fairly decent dosh (for NZ, I guess) and the Mrs has a job, so, we aren't really worried about keeping a roof over our heads or a hot meal in our tummies. The only dark cloud is the decreasing student numbers here. Next stop, if I get the pink ticket, will probably Thailand. If that be the case, I guess the ol' student loan will go back on the back burner again. C'est la vie.
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korea with western kids you really only have two possible locations, which at least narrows your search....it has to be Seoul or Pusan (these are the only cities with international schools and sizeable expat populations). Anywhere else you will be so isolated (I'm assuming you and your kids don't speak Korean) it will be a nightmare. Your best bet is to find work with an international school in S or P. With int'l schools, apart from paying you a better salary than most employers, there is often the dual benefit of free or subsidised schooling for your kids. Some Korea universities may offer similar packages.
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the big attraction with Korea?
I am living in Japan, supporting a wife and child. It can be done, but I am at a uni and I don't have 3 kids. Since you didn't mention a husband or responded to the Q, I take it you are a single mom. Have you lived overseas before (more than 6 mos at one place)? There are tremendous challenges in that, like the language, medical, large housing, home school or education. How would you home school them and teach?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: