Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Required stuff for Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Required stuff for Egypt Reply with quote

Are there any particular documents (aside from the obvious Wink ) that I need to take for a year in Egypt?? Any recommendations of home comforts that I won't be able to get out there?
Starting to feel the "newbie fear" now...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sekhmet,

Documents? Not sure what you mean. If you think you may decide to stay and find work, you would need the originals of any education documents - and 'letters of employment' which are from past employers telling the basic facts of your job there are good to have.

As to other things, if you have any favorite over the counter meds, you might want to take them. And if you take any new or unusual prescription meds. You can get most anything in this area and for very cheap there, but you need to know the scientific names. Same with the old feminine hygiene products. Also, I took a few favorite kitchen things - like a handy jar opener for the weak wristed. Smile Nothing big though---

Generally, for a year's stay, you shouldn't need to drag too much stuff. Just be sure to have a bit of 'emergency cash' and access to enough to pay for a ticket home - like a credit card - just in case.

VS
sarina

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: certifying documents Reply with quote

If you are going to be working in a school context, you may save yourself a lot of future hassle by having your diplomas, degrees etc. certified at the Dept. of Foreign Affairs (or the equiv. name in Britain) while you are still in your home country. I have seen many teachers arrive from the States, South America, Australia (not sure about Britain though) and have to send their precious documents back to their home countries to have them stamped before the Egyptian Ministry of Education would pass them and give work permission.
I'll check this out with some U.K. colleagues next week and write back their experiences, but I know for some countries, this has been a real issue, because their local embassies here in Egypt will have nothing to do with certifying and will only validate diplomas already stamped in the home country.
Things to miss - I'm not sure of your gender, but bras are hard to buy here - there is no notion of cup size, so come prepared if you are female.Otherwise particularly in Cairo, most things are easy to find or can be tracked down.
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys - good tips. Sarina - I'm female, and didn't know about that, so thanx for letting me know!!! Wink
I've actually already got a job lined up with some friends out there, and they've told me there is no need for a "work permit". Is this true, or am I likely to get into trouble if I don't get one? At the moment, I'm meant to be working on a tourist visa for the year, but that seems just a little dodgy to me...
Having read all the posts on the China forum about companies trying to save some cash by not organising Z-visas I'm a little worried. Not that I think my friends are gonna try fleece me, but hey!! Smile
sarina

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: work permit Reply with quote

Well.. of course it's better to have a work permit, but I do know of people who've worked for years without one. Having a work permit - as well as giving you "official status" means you can get resident discounts for domestic airfares and hotels - not bad in Sharm El Sheik for instance. Many schools will organise your papers/permits for you - are you sure the school you are going to can't organize that? The Ministry of Education just needs a diploma - I think they even take just a TEFL to give a permit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: