Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job MarketPlace at TESOL Dallas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Job MarketPlace at TESOL Dallas Reply with quote

TESOL has a list of about 30 employers who are supposed to be at the job marketplace, but only about 5 have jobs advertised on the TESOL website, and without an ad I don't see any way to request an interview. Anybody know how that works? TESOL doesn't answer their phone.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tesol.org/convention2013/job-marketplace
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if that answers my question?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems obvious to me...

JOB SEEKERS
    Construct or upload electronic r�sum�s
    Search jobs online
    Request interviews online
    Maintain a personal calendar of scheduled interviews
    Meet recruiters and interview face-to-face
    Network with other professionals in the field
    Create your profile and register for the 2013 Job MarketPlace.
    Once you have created your profile (or signed in) you will see the option for the JMP.

FREE admission to Job MarketPlace with your paid convention registration. Only registered convention attendees may interview in the JobMarketplace.
I posted the link for others who are interested as well.

You didn't state if you registered for the job marketplace. Anyway, the conference & job fair are more than a month away; I doubt employers will start reviewing resumes and setting up interviews before then.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, my question is: There are many employers who are listed as attending the job marketplace who have not placed job ads. The only way I can see to request an interview is by answering an ad, as I have done for the few that have placed ads. But some of the most interesting employers do not have ads, so there is no mechanism to request interviews with them. Unless I am missing something. I suppose they may prefer to search resumes and do the requesting, but I would rather make my interest known to them. How? I didn't pay my 400 bucks for nothing.
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Job MarketPlace at TESOL Dallas Reply with quote

Sirens of Cyprus wrote:
TESOL has a list of about 30 employers who are supposed to be at the job marketplace, but only about 5 have jobs advertised on the TESOL website, and without an ad I don't see any way to request an interview. Anybody know how that works? TESOL doesn't answer their phone.

I'm not sure where you are searching, but when I searched on http://careers.tesol.org and selected "Only show 2013 TESOL JobMarketplace (JMP) jobs", 13 ads came up. When you go to each ad, there is a button that says "Request an Interview". The site also says that "As an attendee your resume will be highlighted in the search results so employers can contact you about interviews."

There were 3 more ads added today, so I'm guessing that since the conference is still more than 5 weeks away, some employers just haven't put ads up yet.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but did you click on "request an interview?" Unless the employer has placed a job ad, nothing happens! If I don't get more interview offers than the one I have now, it's a waste of money. The deadline to cancel is Feb 15th, and they only accept cancellations by snail mail.
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirens of Cyprus wrote:
Yes, but did you click on "request an interview?" Unless the employer has placed a job ad, nothing happens! If I don't get more interview offers than the one I have now, it's a waste of money. The deadline to cancel is Feb 15th, and they only accept cancellations by snail mail.

I did click on "Request an Interview", and it took me to the job ad and application procedure (i.e., interview request procedure) for each of those 13 jobs. It looks like only employers that have placed ads show up when you search on careers.tesol.org, so when you check "Only show 2013 TESOL JobMarketplace (JMP) jobs" and search, all of those that show up should have ads. I did not complete the entire application procedure since I'm not actually looking for a job, but for those 13, I did see where to include a cover letter and there were some other questions to answer.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about this list of 26, which I get when I click on "view attending employers" on my account page:

ADNOC Technical Institute
Al Bayan University
Al Hekma International School
Antalya International University
Ball State University
Beijing Huijia (IB) Private School
Educational Testing Service (ETS)
ETS
Houston Community College
Institute of Public Administration Saudi Arabia
International Academic Alliance
King Abdulaziz University
King Saud University - Preparatory Year
KSA Consolidated Contractors
Marshall University
Northrop Grumman - Technical Services
Prince George's County Public Schools
Princess Nora Bin Abdul Rahman University
Qatar University Foundation Program
Raytheon
Rice University Intensive English Program
Sultan Qaboos University
Terakki Foundation Schools
The Institute of Banking
TOBB University of Economics and Technology
Zirve University

You can only request interviews with 7 because only 7 have placed ads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: