Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manchester Dil Okullari
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartago

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Manchester Dil Okullari Reply with quote

I would like to warn people about this school. They are located in Erzurum. They recruit teachers under the pretext of having them work in a language school and then send them to teach in local primary or high schools. The students there have a reputation for being ill disciplined and I don't believe it is fair for them to do this. Not to the teacher or to the schools.

In fact they have even recruited teachers with the promise to send them to a language course in another city, such as Samsun and then when they arrive tell them that plans have changed and they stay in Erzurum, a place few people would choose to live, and are sent to work in primary schools.

I have also heard disputes in which they have refused to pay teachers and demonstrated abusive behavior against staff, such as cursing at them, insulting them in front of others and threatened them with the police.
cartago

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that Manchester Dil Okulları in Erzurum is recruiting again. I'd like to bring up my warning about this school again. They recruit teachers under the guise of working in a language school and then send them to work in private schools. They have a history of threats, intimidation, abusive behavior of teachers, cursing at teachers even in meetings with other teachers present and withholding pay. They are now using a logo with MEA which perhaps implies a name change but they are still using the same website with the old name. Stay away from this school.
katz1109

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Manchester Dil Okulları in Erzurum Reply with quote

hi Cartago -

I saw your recent post regarding Manchester Dil Okulları in Erzurum,Turkey and read some rather dis-concerning issues and wanted to know if you personally taught there? or just knew someone who did? I will have an interview via Skype, tomorrow morning Sept 6th, and wanted to know if you have any information about what to expect in the interview?

thanks!
Katz Very Happy
cartago

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I worked there. I'll send you a private message with more details.
sam862010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: also been offered a job there. Reply with quote

Any useful info about the school or the way they do business?
wander&teach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam862010; see above.
sam862010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted... but was hoping for some more in depth info
wander&teach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be appreciated from you as well. A bit of background would help.
cartago

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough people have sent me PMs about Manchester that I think it's time to just post a message here about them. I was recruited to work in their language course and was specifically promised that I would not have to work in the private k-12 schools. I asked because I know discipline there is notorious and I don't have the skills to deal with it. After some months of working with them they told me they were sending me there. I had seen them to the same to other teachers. They were offered a job at Manchester, then sent to the private schools, and were quickly burnt out.

I told them I would not go there as I had been promised that they would not send me there specifically by Gokhan. They refused to pay me for the time I had worked there. I have also been told that they pay a very high salary at those schools which means that Manchester is pocketing most of that money, although I cannot verify this for certain.

In addition to this, because they were short of teachers, they insisted I work 7 days a week and became aggressive when I protested. I was told it would be just for a short time but it continued even after they hired others.

Even if Manchester has lost its contracts with the private schools, there's still the issue of their abusive behavior. I have personally seen Gokhan curse at teachers and criticize them in front of others as well as threaten people. And if course, if you have a dispute with them they will just not pay you.

It's all very strange because they should be treating their teachers like gold. Erzurum is a place few people would choose to work. It is e coldest and most religiously conservative city in turkey. If you go there now, you will be wading through the snow and ice.

I know it sounds unbelievable but it really is that bad. I hesitated to post anything that would make me personally identifiable but now I'm taking the risk. I'm surprised others haven't responded but I think they either have similar concerns, they just want to move on or they don't frequent esl websites.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up warning about this stink-pot employer, Cartago.

I'll wade in and say I know of this school. I applied there about 1.5 years ago, but I went with another place, which also turned out to be a stinker. But that's another post.

When I was being courted by this Gokhan Gorgon, I was told 5 teachers were being accommodated in a single house with two bathrooms. That was enough for me to blow off the potential job. I then learned I would be teaching 140 hours a month, with one day off, for 2300 TL. No thanks.

Thanks for your posting of the warning. It's really good for us as a collective group to hear each other's war stories and learn which employers are to be avoided. Some teachers in this business are but burned out husks who will accept anything: low pay, long hours, abusive bosses, substandard accommodation, whatever. Unfortunately, we teachers who have fire in the belly and still respect ourselves have to suffer for their apathy. Sites like this and your posts help us avoid those minefields. Keep fighting the good fight, Cartago. Some of us out there are paying heed.
sam862010

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be a school in an alternate universe.
I'm currently working there and i couldn't be happier, i relocated from thailand where i was basically teaching zoo animals as opposed to real students who wanted to learn.

those 140 hours per month are actually 140 periods of 40minutes that you get the paid for the whole hour.

as for the management, they have been awesome, my flight was promptly refunded as promised and i was paid on time.

It was a collegues birthday today and the management got in a huge cake and organised a celebration which took us all by surprise.

that shared apratment is actually one of the nicest apartments i have ever lived in.. and the people i live with get on like a house on fire.

i seemed to have landed a really good deal.. when i was in thailand.. i couldn't even save.. but here im saving around 85% of my salary and eating like a king as the school provides 2 good meals a day.

but actually we would prefer and bitter and twisted people to stay away rather than bring bad vibes to this place.

so i advise anyone is a prone to complaining and has a bitter disposition the look elsewhere as we are happy in our ways.

Peace
CVN-76

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to hear you're one big, happy family there. You would have to be, with 5 people sharing 2 bathrooms teaching 35-40 hours per week, some of which involve teaching kids, with one day off. And for about the same, maybe a hundred USD more, as someone could make at a good job in Thailand teaching half the hours and getting two days off a week.

Some of us aren't bitter or negative. We just call a spade a spade.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the one person thats a fan of this school... He stated, "im saving around 85% of my salary and eating like a king." The statements made by this person are so the opposite of the other comments. With all due respect does this person work for the administration of the school in question?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
For the one person thats a fan of this school... He stated, "im saving around 85% of my salary and eating like a king." The statements made by this person are so the opposite of the other comments. With all due respect does this person work for the administration of the school in question?

I hope he or she isn't a teacher after looking at the terrible English in the post.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post made by Cartago was about 14 months ago, with no one from the employer coming here to retort with something positive. The thread was inactive for about 5 months before a new post was made two days ago. If this were a great employer, we would see more positive posts than just one to counter Cartago. How about we see some of those teachers living in the house, 5-people strong, sharing two bathrooms, come here and post how great it is? Maybe teaching 40 hours a week with one day off gives them too little time to post here?

Treat teachers like dung and we'll chew your a##, Dil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: