Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salalah Expat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Salalah Expat Reply with quote

HI all,
Anyone here lived in Salalah recently ? what is it like ? i'm a 44 year old single guy who likes the outdoors, kayaking, diving, hiking etc is it easy to make friends there ? is there much of an expat community ?
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Expat community in Salalah includes a lot of families. Not as many single males, but they certainly exist. As far as making friends, I think it is much easier here than in other Arab countries. Look up the Oasis Club in Salalah on Facebook, if you want to get a birds-eye view of the expat scene.

It is very difficult to say whether the social setting will meet your needs, without knowing more about you, and even then it would be just a guess.

I am in my fifth year in Salalah. The good points are a really beautiful apartment with an ocean view for pennies. For outdoors types there is seaside, desert and mountains. It is a popular tourist destination because of the variety of terrains it offers.

The bad points are the roads. You can't really walk anywhere because it is so spread out. A car is mandatory. Arab drivers take a great deal of getting used to.

All in all, Oman is a great country. Salalah is much lexx expensive than Muscat, but there is less to do. I have no regrets for how I have spent the past 4.5 years.

PM me if you like.
balqis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have three higher education places, one uni and two colleges. Browsing through their faculty lists may give you a rough estimation of the number of expats you will have a chance to meet there. Other than the ones on the lists, there might be some military expats, as if I'm right there are military bases there, with Brits too.
Knew people who liked it there a lot and claimed had there a very decent and even colourful social life. Some mentioned exceptional beach life, stress on ''exceptional''. Beach is always a rescue, to a degree at least. Obviously for an acquired eye and taste the place is a superb escape, but such places are never easy to be in, I mean ''superb acquired taste'' places. Muscat is easy, Salalah will be on the challenge side of the spectrum. Best and oldest Bedu perfume culture in Oman, old wild at heart and conduct Jabali ethnicity - they can be seen all over Oman as they are animal traders and roam Oman with their cattle and sell it in various animal souqs country-over, culture and language etc.... And many other things in the same rank equally best, but you must like the rank to appreciate them.
The uni used to hire many expats say 10 years ago or so, when it operated under, as it were, the Lebanese auspices. Then I noticed suddenly many expats pulled out form the uni and an Indian replacement arrived.

All in all, good luck! I never went to Salalah though had a contract offered and considered it for a longer while but eventually went to a dif place in Oman.

balqis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: