Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QU questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
celtababe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: QU questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone
Just got back from TESOL Arabia..........yes, the job fair.....and I'm waiting for feedback from interviews. QU seemed very interested and most suited to what I'm looking for.

I have MA Applied linguistics and TESOL plus CELTA and about 20 years teaching experience in EFL. I ALSO have 3 kids though only 2 will be accompanying me and they're 10 and 15.

I would greatly appreciate the LATEST information you guys have regarding accommodation for newcomers and the going salary for someone with my qualifications. Also, would QU provide a visa for male spouse?

The salary issue was skirted around at interview and as I am separated, not divorced, I chose not to wade into discussions of a personal nature regarding my status!

Thank you
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Hit the nail! Reply with quote

Thanks for your postings!

1- They were offering about 13500 QR/A month during the last conference
2- There were 3 interviewers and one of them STARTED WITH the following question:

Have you ever had a conflict with your manager? Why? This is a clear evidence that QU working environment is full of staff friction with the managers and a sickening one in terms of hostitlity.

3) Kids: 10 & 15! Qatar is NOT A GOOD place for your kids. Qatar is Doha and Doha is Qatar! With your qualifications and experience, you can EASILY land a super job in the UAE.

4) You are in the separation process: Wow! With 2 kids, you will need to go out and kill the stress. Qatar ain't the place, there is nothing and nothing EXCEPT if you like hovering around the shops all weekend long in the city center (mall) like those Indians and Pakis

5)Need more? STAY AWAY! Wait for other places to get in touch with you regarding other interviews' outcomes.
celtababe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.
Problem is, I don't have tertiary experience as such and I did a stint in UAE with British Council as a freelancer....ex had the package! The traffic is UNBEARABLE. Was hoping Qatar would be a quieter option though you make it sound highly undesirable.
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: MORE! Reply with quote

My advice is as follows:

1) Send them an e-mail requesting the rate of termination at QUniversity. In another words, you can ask them how many teacher have they fired since 2005?

2) QU is famous for its policies:

A) Hire to fire
B) No negotiation

3) With 2 kids (10 & 15), I wouldn't take a risk because if you are an expressive and professional teacher, they will for sure give you a nice letter. Whar are you going to do after with 2 kids? Spoil their Academic Year? Where to go in Qatar? Teach at Qatar Petroleum with the Sudanese and Palestinian mafia? Do you have emergency plans? Exit plan?

At least in the UAE, they can cancell your visa and with your qualifications and experience, you will land a job with no doubt.

4) Shoul I add more or is it enough? If you want names, PM me!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are separated, why do you need a visa for your husband? There are women whose husbands stay in their home countries because of jobs or whatever... better to NOT give them all the details. In these cases, the husband normally comes to visit on a tourist visa... makes things simpler.

QU seems to be having some problems now and you can read the messages of the unhappy teachers here. It should be stated that there are also teachers there who are coping fine, as is usually the case. But they decline to post here because they get attacked by those that were fired. This is often the situation on the board.

That said, I agree that Doha is a pretty small place with not as much to do as in other places. Have you tried applying to SQU in Oman? That is a very child friendly place and country. Of course, the pay is less too. The UAE also has jobs in the smaller towns. Kuwait University may be another option. I notice that they have raised their pay and had an ad here not long ago.

Since your experience wasn't directly tertiary, emphasize on your CV any background that would appear directed toward academic English... like reading and writing.

VS
celtababe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful VS..........trying to read between the lines here on forum!

Planning to divorce soon (fortunately amicably) and I have a new partner. Hence the query regarding visa. Having lived in ME I am aware of the fact that we would need to marry. Shocked

Another option is CfBT in UAE which I would also consider depending on the package. Housing is an issue as I'm not sure how the kids would adapt to living in a flat.

Thanks
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Good job! Reply with quote

(MOD edit)

Take Veil's advice and apply to other places!

Here is a list:
http://tesolarabia.org/conference/jobfair/jobList.php
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Sorry! Reply with quote

Can't post anymore because I just got a WARNING WARNING! We can't even help each other in this forum anymore! What a waste!

I just want to save this lady's from shark attacks and make sure she makes the right decision!
celtababe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear............I seem to have triggered something here..........ahem!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that she can read and you have posted the same information dozens of time all over the board, so I'd say that your side is still well documented even with all the edits and deleted threads.

Perhaps you need to tone down your posts (avoid giant bold fonts perhaps?) and avoid debates with the likes of 007...

just friendly advice...

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celtababe wrote:
Oh dear............I seem to have triggered something here..........ahem!

Don't worry celtababe, just read around the posts to glean out the info you need. Cool Tempers tend to run high here after a place does a large number of firings, as is understandable.

As to CfBT, I'd suggest doing a search about them in Oman, UAE, and Qatar. I know that they have a good reputation in Asia, but there have been problems in the Gulf with some of their contracts. So, you may want to search up the history.

VS
celtababe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS................will do.

Trying to find a happy balance for myself and family. Your input has been very helpful.

I'll be back on here with more questions no doubt!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on back...

Good Luck with the search!!

VS
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: VEIL! Reply with quote

This lady deserves to be informed by the people who know the place very well! She's got 2 kids, highly qualified, just getting divorced and I don't think she wants to be in a mess starting next fall 2007. Hence, it is our job to inform her, BUT at end, it will be her decision not mine or yours. All in all, help if you can!

Thanks!
thursday12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: ain't so bad Reply with quote

Hey Celtababe

Things ain't so bad as before. I'd say go for it. Now VS I have good reason to say that - things are improvin...

But lady, make sure you ask for a villa before you accept and insist on it. Refuse the smelly noisy apartments. The good villas are out in a place called Garrfaa or something like that - out in Wabb the apartments stink but the villas are not so bad - but hey make sure you get a villa, lady I mean with kids, ya need the space. Singles get villas too.

With teens around who need schoolin, Al Waab might be best - American School and British high school about 5 mins away. So for you I'd say Al Waab altho I hate it myself.

From what I know the Q gov lets women sponsor hubbies if they are teachers or docs or stuff like that. I met some divorced ladies with kids down at Garveys - they're pretty happy here and say no problems - Doha is OK for that - but hey what do I know - some of those ladies are mighty cute.

Not so bad here now - things gettin better all the time but... still some issues that need regulatin...

Anyway - for a single mom - it's OK - just keep your nose clean.

Check it out yourself - yeah I bin one of the whinies but hey man look at the improvements ... like I said before someone's listening out there in
U of Q foundationland. We got our own Mr Fix-it - he's doin his job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: