Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student Learning Style Inventory Picture Assesment Test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burrito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Student Learning Style Inventory Picture Assesment Test Reply with quote

I'm working in a new program and am trying to make my registration process a bit smoother for the students. LACES requires that we give all new students a learning style inventory test before entering the program. The problem is that I can only find text based assessments which really aren't assessments at all since most of the students do not understand what they are reading. I was hoping that someone out there might not of an inventory assessment that is picture based. If anyone of you have ever seen one I'd love if you could share it with me.
Thanks,
Mr. Burrito.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LACES requires that we give all new students a learning style inventory test before entering the program

Holy crap. Would this mean that some poor, long-suffering teacher at the other end would be required to write lessons catering to the 'learning styles' of however many students are entered into his/her class??? Absolutely impractical!!!

I do know of a website with a test, but it's all in actual language. I would be very doubtful that anyone's developed one with only pictures, for people with very low English skills.

The Netherlands has a government sponsored language learning test that measures a language learners' proficiency in determining patterns (which skill helps in language acquisition). This is partly in picture form. You might google it, but it's not about learning styles - it just predicts proficiency levels, so that the government schools can divide students into fast and slow tracks.
burrito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I'll look into those. We don't really need this for instructional purposes. I would hope all ESL students take time to tailor classroom lessons for all three learning styles.
It's mostly just one of the stipulations for being in a gran funded program and I was figuring if we must do it we might as try to make it a bit more meaningful.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you're recognizing only three broad styles. That's usually feasible. Vi am aware of 16 defined learning styles in the research on the topic; clearly impractical at that level of differentiation.
burrito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. I need to satisfy VAK requirements. My personal belief is that we each learn from a our own unique blend of senses. All that being said I do not get to dictate what the state requires. Again, this is not for instructional purposes.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a student is genetically stuck in some kind of learning style, then I hold that a teacher is just as stuck in his teaching style and should not be expected to change his style for each student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: