Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English language 'immersion' programmes in Poland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: English language 'immersion' programmes in Poland Reply with quote

It may come as an unwelcome disappointment to our moaning regulars that I am attempting to steer matters towards teaching.

Any views on English language immersion programmes? Specifically, does anyone have any knowledge of Angloville? One of my students is interested in this programme. I'd be more interested in the benefits of 70 hours language immersion over the week, as opposed to playing tag in the swimming pool with a bunch of natives at the end of the day.

http://www.angloville.com/

Regards

John
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the benefit for those with knowledge of English but poor speaking skills - they would gain a lot from having to use it constantly. But it's worth bearing in mind that the "teachers" are merely there to speak, not to teach - they may not be able to explain things in a satisfactory way. I'm also not sure that they would be so enthusiastic after several days of having to talk constantly - I know I'd be going insane with such a timetable.

http://www.angloville.com/timetable.html

I think someone posted on here recently that did the Angloville thing?

I've just seen the price - 3600zl. Absolutely no way is that value for money considering many native speakers in summer would jump at 1000zl for a week's work where they only have to speak.

My biggest concern would be the "teachers" - they don't have fixed staff, so you could easily end up with people with very difficult accents.
john123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. There's been a thread on it recently.

The interviews conducted with some of the participants (on youtube) actually seem quite genuine, in contrast to some of the staged ones I've seen to promote language schools and teacher training courses, such as CELTA.

My student is really pessimistic about his English skills (especially listening and conversing with people who are not from England). I've tried everything under the sun to change his mindset, and he might up for this. Then, 3600zl is not exactly pennies for him..

The business concept is genius. Now for that luxury house in the country...

Regards

John
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The business concept is genius, I just can't understand why anyone would work for free. It's not like you'd be helping poor kids or something, 3600 zl. a week and the "teachers" get nothing? There's a sucker born every minute. I would recommend that your student post an ad on gumtree, and, as Delph writes, offer 1000 zl for a week of all-day meetings to converse in English, wander around the city, have some coffees and beers. Sounds better than making some Polish, school-owner richer.
john123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These 'suckers' probably already have enough money to even give a damn about being paid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhVDL7qO1w

And our ever so well spoken mate, Andrew, has no hesitation to recommend Angloville to his chums.
john123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and help his Polish brothers...
Caporetto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Angloville Reply with quote

I did this programme.

If you look at it as unpaid teaching (you are not there as a teacher, nor expected to teach, by the way) then of course it looks like a bum deal. This is not TEFL though, and you are not there as a teacher. No-one asked me for grammar explanations either.

Sauna, pool, ping-pong, bike rides, huge lunch, bar, lying around on the grass in the sun, jacuzzi, pedalo boats, tennis, bar, kayaking, making friends, and so on... It may look like free teaching on paper, but in reality it was more like a big group holiday.

Is it a money-spinner, a good business? I suppose so. It's a risk too, as volunteers paying their own way can tend to no-show and find something else to do, so good on them for taking the risk. It's a week of conversations based around tasks and activities.

I used it as a crash course in learning about Poland, and more than one person I know has had private gigs from it as well as lasting friendships, further free holidays, and this is without delving into the even more exciting outcomes..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: