Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is recognized as a teaching qualification by the MoEd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcharteacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: What is recognized as a teaching qualification by the MoEd Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am debating taking a 4 month TESOL certification at my university before coming to teach in Kuwait. I already have a BSc but no teacher certification. I am wondering if taking this course would be of any benefit to me, and does a TESOL certification count as a teacher certification that many schools require? Is it worth the 1700$??

Thank you
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they require a teaching cert/license from your home country (as do top K-12 International Schools), a TESOL cert is not the same thing.

That said, professionally speaking for your own teaching skills, do get one... either the one you mentioned or a CELTA as it can be done in less time.

VS
middleastman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: kuwait Reply with quote

VS seems to have a habit of posting out of date or wrong info. I doubt shes in kuwait, the gulf, or the greater middle east region. What people are after is up to date info, vs. Not the same outdated opinons again and again. (Yawn). [/b]
middleastman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it depends what kind of job you're after. The moE rules for schools and companies who provide other types of efl training are a little different. Almost all (reputable) schools in the international sector will require you to have some sort of post graduate teaching qualification ie. A pgce if you haven't done your degree or ma in an educational or teaching related subject. You may have problems getting a job and residency in this context with only a short celta or tefl course as your educational qualification. Efl companies however often employ people with a degree and a shorter teaching qualification ie. Celta or tefl etc and are able to obtain residencies on this basis. Hope that helps.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: kuwait Reply with quote

middleastman wrote:
VS seems to have a habit of posting out of date or wrong info. I doubt shes in kuwait, the gulf, or the greater middle east region. What people are after is up to date info, vs. Not the same outdated opinons again and again. (Yawn). [/b]

DUH... mideastman... read the question and the response so that you don't embarrass yourself attacking other posters. What the MOE might or might not accept was NOT the question. As a matter of fact, my information is 100% correct.

If an international school requires a "teaching certificate" (Like the PGCE or American state license), the school will NOT accept some TESOL cert as a replacement.

Obviously, that suggests the fact that not all international schools require such...

VS
middleastman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: op subject line Reply with quote

Hi there. The post subject says "what is recognised as a teaching qualification by the moe", and my post address' this subject. After 14727 posts, the majority of which are twaddle, I think it might be time to retire vs. Please dont let the door hit you up the a** on the way out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What is recognized as a teaching qualification by the Mo Reply with quote

fcharteacher wrote:
I am debating taking a 4 month TESOL certification at my university before coming to teach in Kuwait. I already have a BSc but no teacher certification. I am wondering if taking this course would be of any benefit to me, and does a TESOL certification count as a teacher certification that many schools require? Is it worth the 1700$??

As VS indicated, teaching licensure/certification (teaching children) differs from a TEFL/TESL/TESOL certificate, which solely focuses on teaching adult English language learners. It's unclear what age group you expect to teach; you've mentioned both school-age and adult university learners in previous threads. Either way, the specific requirements will be stated in the job posting.

Anyway, for clarity:

Kuwait Ministry of Education (MoE) regulates elementary, middle, and secondary schools (grades k-12). According to Teachaway.com's general info on teaching in Kuwait, teaching opportunities are open to licensed teachers (i.e., those holding a regional teaching license or certification from their home country/state) with at least 1-2 years of experience at the appropriate level. This is in line with the teacher requirements posted for KBS, the school you mentioned in your other thread, as well as other international MoE-accredited schools.

A teaching license/certification is usually in a content area such as math, science, language arts, etc. There's also an add-on, an endorsement in ESL/bilingual education, but it's mainly for preparing novice and qualified educators to teach young second language learners in the US. Your local department of education can provide info on obtaining a teaching license.

Kuwait Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) administers to colleges/universities (tertiary level). Generally, TEFL positions at this level require a degree + CELTA/equivalent TEFL cert + experience for the purpose of teaching English to adult learners ages 18+.
Is the $1700 TESOL course worth it? Possibly, if your goal includes teaching adults. Your TESOL cert should measure up to a CELTA, the international standard in the industry. That is, it should entail at least 120 hours of face-to-face instruction and include supervised practice teaching with real students (not classmates). In fact, depending on where you live, you may be able to find a CELTA course in your area. It's likely to cost a bit more, but it will definitely open more doors for you over your teaching career.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: