Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It seems ALL trainingcenters ask you to come on tourist visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikeologist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically the z visa is the piece of paper that allows you to enter China.

They then apply for the residence permit once you're here.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikeologist wrote:

Doesn't a tourist or business visa also allow you to enter China?
vikeologist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes,3but you can't change one of those visas to a residency permit within China.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
vikeologist wrote:

Doesn't a tourist or business visa also allow you to enter China?

yes. but. not. to. teach. Rolling Eyes
xiguagua

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came in 2008, I came on a L-Visa. The training school had some connections and got me a z-visa for Guangxi province.......then they sent me to Hunan to teach. So I got to Hunan and when trying to get the RP they said uhhh this Visa is for Guangxi, you gotta go get a new one.

Did the HK runner, luckily, the training school paid for it and I got a free week vacation to Hong Kong in December. So I didn't have a horrible experience with it........BUT........if there was ever a job that tried to make me come over on a L-Visa again I would pass. Now, it's an easy way to cross off the jobs NOT to take.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even talking to public schools that have their teachers come on L visas. And this is one that is, apparently, tight with the government, in Jiangsu. She said the teachers all go to Hong Kong for the visas and the school arranges the trip for them.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why bother asking here? what is your purpose with this thread?

you've been advised NOT to come to china on a tourist visa. the only
safe way that protects you is with a work visa.

so why do seem to keep pushing the tourist visa angle?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta second that. Lots of people have said repeatedly don't come on a tourist visa because its a shaky proposition at best. Ask them to get it for you before coming. If they can't dont take the job. This can't be too dificult to comprehend can it?
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not pushing it, I'm just frustrated that every job I'm looking at seems to be pushing it. Plus I'm surprised that a public school would ask you to do this. So I was wondering if anyone could explain why a public school would do it, I thought they had to do everything above board.
creeper1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: surprised Reply with quote

I'm not recommending it but I think a majority of medium to long termers here have worked on tourist visas at least temporarily while living here.

To the OP - I don't know why you haven't been able to find a language mill willing to supply a Z-visa. I know that wasn't an issue for me although I did have a lengthy wait for all the paperwork to be done.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
I'm not pushing it, I'm just frustrated that every job I'm looking at seems to be pushing it. Plus I'm surprised that a public school would ask you to do this. So I was wondering if anyone could explain why a public school would do it, I thought they had to do everything above board.

Maybe not as often, but some public schools do use and abuse their foreign teachers. They should do everything "above board", but you should know by reading this forum that rules here are considered as mere suggestions.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you going through a recruiter for this public school position?

would this be panzhihua no. 3 middle school? i think that was the
one with the bad reputation, relying on recruiters.....
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
are you going through a recruiter for this public school position?

would this be panzhihua no. 3 middle school? i think that was the
one with the bad reputation, relying on recruiters.....

No, it's a middle school in Suzhou. I saw an ad for this job on echinacities and applied, got an email back from the recruiter who apparently posted the ad, talked to her on skype, and had an interview with the school last night. All the recruiters that Ive talked to seem to put you in touch directly with the school pretty quickly. It's hard not to deal with recruiters because alot of ads for schools are posted by recruiters and you don't know it until after you apply.

This middle school I talked to said they also do foreign teacher hiring for alot of other schools in Suzhou.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the days of putting any white body and face in a class may be over (or less common), especially in training centres where teachers have to take responsibility for the outcomes in their class. This might be one reason why more seem, anecdotally at least, to be asking people to come over on a tourist visa.

It may be less of a problem in the state sector, but if its true that a few state employers are asking it too, perhaps its true for that sector too?

Although I posted earlier in this thread saying my employer has twice arrange my Z visa prior to arrival, on reflection Im not sure that would be true for a new teacher. My employer knows me, trusts me, and counts on me to deliver what their students demand so always arranges the right paperwork. But I do know other teachers have done the HK visa run, so it may be the case that they also want to 'try before they buy' with a new employee.

Traditionally any white face with a pulse has been enough to secure many a job in the state sector, but perhaps thats ending too with employers expecting employees to deliver, so the days of giving a one year visa and being stuck with someone may be ending? Or maybe these are just isolated cases?

Of course, people should be wary / cautious of employers who ask them to come over on a tourist visa and be subject to a period of probation and a demo class etc. By the same token, I can also see some mileage in being wary of employers who provide a full Z visa and legal papers without having the foggiest idea on how well equipped or skilled you are at doing the job. The former may cause concerns in terms of actually securing the job when in China, the latter may cause concerns about having little in the way of classroom standards and integrity.
creeper1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

I think a white face and a pulse are still all that is required to secure a teaching job. Maybe not the best teaching job in the world but a job at least.

Coming over on a tourist visa does have certain advantages. I don't want to overstate them but they are a chance to check out your employer, speak to teachers and most of all - be available to work immediately. It seems employers need someone to have started yesterday

But the huge disadvantage is that you have to fork out money for a trip to Hong Kong. And that trip to HK is not a valid way for someone who works in Guangdong province to get a Z-visa.

Anyone thinking of going the tourist visa route ought to be comfortably financially. Start up costs here are huge anyway. Typically 3 months rent upfront for your apartment + agent fee plus other expenses.

When you add in transport to HK and accomodation in HK you are looking at a lot of money.

If you consider the tourist visa option come with plenty of money. I'd say like $3000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: