Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working situations with summers off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellychess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Working situations with summers off? Reply with quote

This is definitely not a must for me, however I have a good seasonal tennis teaching job in the USA from early June to late August. Is there a teaching job or situation that I could come back to the states in the summers for?
lemak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Working situations with summers off? Reply with quote

nellychess wrote:
This is definitely not a must for me, however I have a good seasonal tennis teaching job in the USA from early June to late August. Is there a teaching job or situation that I could come back to the states in the summers for?

Sure. Most university jobs generally have vacation from around the end of June to the end of August. The dates may overlap a little, but I've known teachers who have to leave a few weeks before the end of semester. You may have to double up on classes for a few weeks in May to make up for those you'll miss at the end of June though.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good reputation with my Chinese training centre employer and I pick my contract start / end dates to fit other commitments. My first two contracts (6 months and 8 months respectively) were designed to fit in with my summer commitments. My next contract is due to start in April allowing for my early 2013 commitments. Cant be sure every employer will be so accomodating mind ... but such gigs do exist.
nellychess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a University hire a NET with only a Bachelors Degree in Sociology? It seems like they would be able to provide housing as well. Is this the case? I would guess there are thousands of Universities in China.

I plan on getting a CELTA after my first year, or maybe working towards it while I am teaching.
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they would hire you at the university where I work.
So probably others would as well.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nellychess wrote:
Would a University hire a NET with only a Bachelors Degree in Sociology? It seems like they would be able to provide housing as well. Is this the case? I would guess there are thousands of Universities in China.

I plan on getting a CELTA after my first year, or maybe working towards it while I am teaching.

Most Chinese universities are satisfied if you have a BA. And they all typically end in June and start again in September.
nellychess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty damn exciting to me. I have always loved the college setting, although it may be much different than the USA, and I never dreamed I could teach anything at one.

I think I may be getting closer to figuring this out. I can keep my summer job in the states which pays about 8k for 8 weeks, and has no expenses at all. I could visit people a bit, then back to China. How awesome.

Do I use a recruiter, or just hit the pavement online?

As it stands, I will be working until mid August, and then ready to go. I was researching Korea for many months, and it seems they like to do everything last minute there. I would hope that Universities in China do things in advance, but I don't know.

For all the angry members, I will start researching myself, so don't scream at me and tell me about google etc. I get it. I love to research myself. Any help would be great though.

I am very excited.

Cheers all.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the FAO staff will want to be on summer holiday themselves, my experience is that everything will be in place by early July.
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start researching and applying now, cos most uni's shut down for the summer vacation, with the exception of the security and maintenance staff, so they like to have everyone signed, sealed and ready to deliver for the September start of the semester. Avoid recruiters as much as is possible. Find job ads online, and Google uni's in the cities you like the look of and contact them directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: