Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-EU Australian Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Resilient Lion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Non-EU Australian Teachers Reply with quote

Hello this is my first post on these forums. I'm hoping to find out some information about the opportunities that are available in teaching in international schools throughout Europe.

I have a Bachelor of Education (Primary) and an 100 hour online TEFL course. I'm planning to go to the UK next year and teach under a working Visa for two years. After two years I cannot renew the Visa because I will be over 30 at the time. I here it's quite rare for Non-eu citizens to get sponsorship for a work visa to teach throughout Europe.

Having two years experience under a British curriculum, what opportunities can arise teaching primary in international schools in Europe? Preferably, I would like to teach primary but teaching ESL is something I would consider.

Would love to hear stories from non-eu citizens, especially Australians, about getting hired and the process to work in an international school.
[/img]
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper international schools (real accredited ones, not those owned by an individual and called 'international school' as a part of the name) can get work permits for non-EU citizens without too much trouble - provided they need and want you.

The difficulty is that these jobs are decently-paid and have good benefits, and people don't tend to leave them; there is little turnover. Most teachers at such schools in Europe tend to have local families and lives, and are here long-term.

Openings are quite rare, and when they do come up, applications are numerous. With just a BEd, TEFL, and a couple years in the UK, you'll not be too likely at the top of the pile; there are numerous holders of related MAs plus around, and such jobs most often go to people with local reputations, experience, and connections.

It's not impossible that you'll find an opening, but it's definitely not a given.

As for EFL in the region, you can get legal work permits for Central and Eastern Europe, and Germany is an option. Western European private language schools can't get work permits for non EU citizens, and you won't be qualified for the university market unless you go for a related MA; even then, the job market is similar to that for international schools described above.

Pay is relatively low in Central Europe, and the job market's quite tight in Germany. EFL jobs here don't normally pay enough to entice teachers to stay long-term; it's ok for a year or two. It's possible to move up into the few better positions around (I know a number of people who have done this) but it takes time and there are dues to be paid.

Overall message is that Europe is a difficult job market. It's not impossible to make something work here, but it's difficult. You may find something quite decent, but it's certainly not a given.
In your case, I'd spend my two years in England working hard on making contacts on the continent, starting through my work colleagues and whatever institution I were at in England.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am EU, but I hope this helps. These are two very different markets.

ESL/EFL: There is a lot of competition in the EU, which means employers are not going to be particularly interested in applying for visas when there are plenty of UK and Eire citizens to take on without so much bureaucracy. Also, your online qualification is worth very little, although I guess wielded on to your qualification and teaching qualification, it might be usable. All this hassle and this sector is poorly paid.

The one plus I would mention is that a lot of ESL/EFL teachers do not have experience of teaching young children.

Primary education: Not everybody has a full teaching qualification so you are more marketable in this sector. Also, it's better paid. Why not look at countries you are interested in, search for the international schools on Google and get cracking. (Usual stuff: get your cv/resume together/checked; phone 'em up and follow up.)
A Resilient Lion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for your input - much is appreciated.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but sorry if Spiral and I contradict each other. I suspect Spiral is more accurate when it comes to which sector has more jobs.

Re Europe: if you are not just looking at EU countries, then consider somewhere like Kiev. Somebody who can teach younger children English should be able to get a job there and maybe the additional experience may get you an 'in' elsewhere. The more general point about non-EU Europe is that you are on a level playing ground with EU citizens as everybody needs to get a visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: