Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secondary teacher credential
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Secondary teacher credential Reply with quote

I am a high school teacher in Arizona. I teach history and biology,but my degree is in History. I have a full secondary, 7-12 grades, teaching certificate. I know everyone will say "get an international school job". But from my research those are very, very competitive to get. I'm not saying I couldn't find one, but teaching English might be easier to get my foot in the door. So my question is do,any of you think my qualifications would help me land one of the better esl jobs? If so, what is the most realistic salary I could get, and is that enough to live? I figure I might network once I'm there and maybe move to teaching History at some kind of intl school later on. Also, I have both arms sleeved with tattoos. It's not a problem for me here (it helps that they look like colorful art and not gang or prison tats), but I wonder if that would be a deal breaking barrier there. If I have to wear long sleeve shirts, is that hell in the heat there? I appreciate any advice or insight anyone can offer. Thanks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Secondary teacher credential Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
I am a high school teacher in Arizona. I teach history and biology,but my degree is in History. I have a full secondary, 7-12 grades, teaching certificate. I know everyone will say "get an international school job". But from my research those are very, very competitive to get. I'm not saying I couldn't find one, but teaching English might be easier to get my foot in the door.

So my question is do,any of you think my qualifications would help me land one of the better esl jobs? If so, what is the most realistic salary I could get, and is that enough to live? I figure I might network once I'm there and maybe move to teaching History at some kind of intl school later on.

Also, I have both arms sleeved with tattoos. It's not a problem for me here (it helps that they look like colorful art and not gang or prison tats), but I wonder if that would be a deal breaking barrier there. If I have to wear long sleeve shirts, is that hell in the heat there? I appreciate any advice or insight anyone can offer.

Teaching English with what credentials? In other words, what EFL qualifications/experience do you possess that you think will get your foot in the door in Egypt? On the other hand, you're definitely qualified to teach in an international school, and despite your research, they're not that difficult to get into in Egypt, although the country is still going through some ups and downs. Look at Teachaway.com for teaching jobs in the Middle East and Asia. (Fitting, since you posted these exact questions in half a dozen other country-specific discussion forums.)

As for your tats, this topic has been discussed in the Saudi forum (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102007).
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx nomad. As far as the multiple postings, it stands to reason as I'm interested in all those destinations, and the replies/info could be different depending on which country we're talking about. As far as English qualifications, I would do a tefl or celta before I went. Case in point, you directed me to a link for a thread about tattoos. That would have been very helpful if I was interested in teaching in Saudi Arabia, which I'm not. So that info is completely useless to me, as would be any advise given in response to my query about one country and trying to apply that knowledge to a different country. Hence my multiple postings. What I don't get on these forums is someone always trying to trip up a newcomer and just be plain rude. In kindergarten I learned that if you don't have something nice, or useful, to say, then just keep your mouth closed. Now, does anyone have something constructive to say in response to my, I believe, reasonable question? If not, I presume you have more pressing matters to deal with in your life than being difficult, and if you don't and that is the best use of your time and energy, well, I think you get the point. Good day to you sir.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I'm not sure why you felt I was being rude; if you read any of my posts, I'm one of the most helpful members within these forums. I asked about your TEFL quals because you didn't state any. As such, it would be impossible to teach English without proper credentials. It was a valid question and without any malice or sarcasm behind it.

Plus, it seems you overlooked my suggestion to check out Teachaway's site (www.teachaway.com). They're a reputable recruiter for international schools in the Mid East and parts of Asia---maybe even in some of the countries you were interested in. You might find a good-paying job through them in the UAE, if it's a country that interests you.

The thread about tats is relevant since you posted on the Egypt forum, which is a Muslim country. Tattoos are viewed as haram by many Muslims and can be problematic for those seeking work in the Middle East. It had absolutely nothing to do with teaching in Saudi Arabia.

Good luck to you. By the way, I'm female.
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nomad. Actually, after I posted my reply I remembered I wanted to thank you for some of your info about the international schools, and the part about my English qualifications was a valid one, and therefore I addressed it in my reply. It was your comment abou my posting in a half dozen other country specific forums. Maybe I misunderstood you, but that seemed like comments that I see on here all the time when someone asks a question and they they get piled on because that question had been addressed previously. Or some such offense. If that was not your intent, then I apologize for my reply. As for the tattoos, yes they are both Muslim countries, but are still very different places. However, since recent events, Egypt has definitely moved to the right towards KSA. I was looking for someone to comment on their experience or opinions with this issue. Again, maybe I took that wrong as well. And again, if so, I apologize. Maybe I read into your reply an intent that wasn't there. Not too sure what you being a female has to do with it, except maybe for the fact the them ME in general is probably a challenging place for western women to work. Be that as it may, I'm going to assume the fault was in my interpretation of your post, take full responsibilty, and offer my apologies.

Last edited by MrWright on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. It just occurred to me: it was the good day sir comment. That was just a figure of speech anyway. Didn't mean it literally. But touché again. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So my question is do,any of you think my qualifications would help me land one of the better esl jobs?

Easy answer... no.

Why would one of the better schools hire someone with zero credentials or experience in ESL?

Even with a new CELTA, you still have no experience. It would make much more sense for you to attend the hiring fairs that are held every year in the US for international schools. (International School Services used to hold 2 or more Job Fairs every year) Not all of them are the top jobs with the best pay and conditions, but it is a foot in the door using the credentials and experience that you already have.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
Also, I have both arms sleeved with tattoos. It's not a problem for me here (it helps that they look like colorful art and not gang or prison tats), but I wonder if that would be a deal breaking barrier there. If I have to wear long sleeve shirts, is that hell in the heat there?

and wrote:
As for the tattoos, yes they are both Muslim countries, but are still very different places. However, since recent events, Egypt has definitely moved to the right towards KSA. I was looking for someone to comment on their experience or opinions with this issue. Again, maybe I took that wrong as well.

Yes, Egypt and KSA are different; however, that wasn't my point. It's best to err on the side of caution and show some cultural sensitivity by completely concealing your tats, especially since you say both your arms are covered in ink. All it takes is one conservative, Egyptian parent to see your markings (or hear about them) and become offended, and you may find yourself out of a job. And that's even if you get past the interview stage with just a small part of your tats exposed.

If you want to hear others' opinions on teaching/working in a Muslim country with tattoos, I suggest you post on one of the numerous expat Egypt forums to get responses from a broader expat base.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
I was looking for someone to comment on their experience or opinions with this issue.

The tats will be a problem and will prevent you from getting a job. Either plan to spend hellahot African summers wearing long sleeves or hide them.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the tattoos go, from my very short and AWFUL experience at EAIS (don't work there), there was a man who had 1/2 sleeves of tattoos and had worked at the school for 5 years.

So for him, and at that particular school, the tattoos were not a problem.

I was a bit shocked however when he worn t-shirts that showed them off.

- November 15m 2013 Cairo
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another poster who wants to hear only positives ? Buddy - it is a harsh world out there ! Full of nasty experiences just waiting for you to come along !
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Omani office colleague says that tattoos aren't a problem as long as you keep them covered up at work. What you do after work is your business. Its not an issue wearing long sleeves here, they have a/c!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
My Omani office colleague says that tattoos aren't a problem as long as you keep them covered up at work. What you do after work is your business. Its not an issue wearing long sleeves here, they have a/c!!!

That is true in Oman MG, but Egypt? I can't tell you how often even at AUC, we had no functioning AC in various classrooms. In the schools, this could be even more problematic. So, keeping them covered might be uncomfortable.

VS
MrWright

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No A/C? Really? I live in Arizona, I think similar climate to Egypt, and without A/C people would die, literally! Besides, I wear these underarmor heatgear compression shirts under my dress shirt that cover the tattoos and actually make it cooler than not covering them. Still, would need A/C. With all the turmoil there, what's the situation for esl teachers? Bad time to come?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MrWright,

The average high in Cairo in June, July, and August is 98.5 degrees

The average high, same months, in Phoenix is 105

So, it's not quite so bad.

But since people have been living in Phoenix since the 1880s (about 2,300 people) and in Cairo for thousands of years before a/c, presumably that didn't kill all the inhabitants of either place. Very Happy

Hey, it's a DRY heat. Very Happy

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: