Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice for getting started in TEFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolguy123 wrote:
OK, so I finished the CELTA, and it was pretty awesome. Really learned a lot, and got a lot of ideas for a huge number of tools and techniques for teaching that I wasn't even aware of before. Hopefully, I'll be able to use these things in the future and it will open up opportunities. It seems like it will, but I'm getting quite a wide range of opinions from different people.

I've pretty much settled on Taiwan, and some people have recommended going there to find a job. I'm a little skeptical of this, but I've ruled out working for some of the places that recruit from abroad after doing some research. Perhaps I've been too hasty in doing so though, as working for a recruiter would probably enable to meet people who are hopefully like minded when I get there.

I considered Russia because it sounds like you can teach adults to start with, but I don't really have any contacts there, and thought it might be easier to start off with kids. The pay also seems to vary quite a bit from job to job and it the cost of living is higher. There do seems to be higher paying jobs but they seem to require more experience.

So Taiwan seems like a good place to get a foot in the door. The only question would be whether it's better to simply book a ticket and pound the pavement or apply from abroad. Having savings, it's tempting to go there and look for something, but again it might be better to save that money for training or something in the future unless there's a significant advantage to going there in person.

You've already posted this on the Taiwan forum.
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are the advertisements on this website (International jobs, I think, not China), also a list of language schools in Taiwan on Eslbase, so you could cold call with a cv/resume followed by a phone call.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: