Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Transcript On Hold -- Still Can Secure Position?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedingo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: University Transcript On Hold -- Still Can Secure Position? Reply with quote

Smile Hello all,

First, thank you for taking my question. With all the thousands of posts I'm sure it's been asked but not that I saw, not recently (and apologies if I missed it).

Question:
I have a BA in history (with English minor) BUT am paying a tuition balance to the university. Until it's paid in full, the physical diploma and transcript will not be released to me. So, I have only an official letter from the university Registrar stating that I did graduate. Will this be enough to secure a position in a more lucrative market (where I can save money: Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, Thailand -- other suggestions?)?

About Me:

Where are you thinking of going?
Wherever is most lucrative and will accept the official university letter in lieu of physical diploma.

What's your nationality?
United States citizen

What qualifications do you have?
(I'm sure these won't all be relevant)
BA history, English minor
Have worked in education and with youth nonprofits (designing and directing after-school programs, community relations for a high school, tutoring in English).
Have tutored English and writing independently but not more than one year total, very part-time.
Professional experience writing.

Thanks again for taking the time and sharing your expertise! Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: University Transcript On Hold -- Still Can Secure Positi Reply with quote

bluedingo wrote:
Until it's paid in full, the physical diploma and transcript will not be released to me.

When will your university account be paid in full?
bluedingo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for replying.

Good question -- asap. But it's a hefty amount so, realistically, at least two years from now (depending on a lot of income and expense factors).

Part of the reason I'm considering ESL is to save more money (and so pay more on the loans), and travel.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

bluedingo wrote:
But it's a hefty amount so, realistically, at least two years from now (depending on a lot of income and expense factors).

I meant the amount of time to pay off the debt as your situation currently stands.

Keep in mind that employers generally will also want to see an official transcript in addition to the diploma. Ditto for visa requirements. That would leave you with the few remaining countries in which a degree isn't required, and those teaching situations are no where near 'lucrative.' However, perhaps other posters can give you the specific info you're seeking.
bluedingo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay. Yes, about two years to pay that bill.

That's what I suspected regarding employer and visa requirements. Thank you.

If anyone else has different information or suggestions, please do share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: