Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yarn Shops in Riyadh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KME0050

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Yarn Shops in Riyadh? Reply with quote

Can anyone who has lived/worked in Riyadh tell me if there are any yarn shops in the city with decent (natural fiber) yarn + supplies? When I last lived in Abha, there was nothing of the sort--just small balls of yarn in little craft kits for kids. I'm heading for Riyadh shortly and would rather not pack a suitcase full of yarn if it's not necessary . . .
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear KME0050,

I've got to admit that I never went yarn shopping in Riyadh, but I did find these online:

SAUDI WEAVING & SPINNING FACTORY Riyadh YARN - MFRS, WHOL & RETAIL

BADIA SPINNING & TEXTILE CO. Riyadh YARN - MFRS, WHOL & RETAIL

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NJByyvFpiBcJ:www.meastonline.net/pf/user_listings.php%3Fcolumn_name%3Dkeyword%26ord%3DDESC%26pagenum%3D0+Yarn+Badia+Spinning+%26+Textile+Co.+Riyadh&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Hope that helps.

Regards,
John
KME0050

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John--that's an encouraging start!
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear

I'm pretty sure you'll find some there. I figure that somewhere in Riyadh there has to be a Saudi version of Madame Defarge:

"Defarge represents one aspect of the Fates. The Moirai (the Fates as represented in Greek mythology) used yarn to measure out the life of a man, and cut it to end it; Defarge knits, and her knitting secretly encodes the names of those people she will have killed."

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Very Happy

Regards,
John
teechagimme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a craftaholic and I love knitting. However, the fabric selection in Riyadh is much more interesting than the yarn selection. I've been steadily improving my skills with a variety of fabrics. So if knitting isn't your only passion, you can find a lot to do.
KME0050

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a craftaholic and I love knitting. However, the fabric selection in Riyadh is much more interesting than the yarn selection. I've been steadily improving my skills with a variety of fabrics. So if knitting isn't your only passion, you can find a lot to do.

Although I can't say that I ever called myself a craftaholic, that shoe fits me too!

And you are right, the fabric selection is positively dazzling. I have never seen the kind of fabrics in the US that are available everywhere in KSA. I thought about investing in a sewing machine when I was last there, but didn't do it. Maybe I will this time. It would be a shame not to do something with all of that gorgeous fabric.

BUT, what I really need, is the kind of mindless project that will keep my hands busy while I watch a movie or sit and chat with friends. If I don't--I eat! And if there are two activities that are 100% incompatible, it's knitting and eating.

You seem to know something about the yarn selection in Riyadh--is it lousy? Should I plan on bringing some with me? I need a project or two to tide me over the winter like a big afghan or a couple of sweaters to send back home. I'm afraid that if I do find yarn I might not find the good wools, cottons, and imported blends I prefer.

John found a couple of manufacturers on-line that produce yarn, so I imagine it must be sold somewhere in the country. However, it is hard to imagine that there is a huge demand for homemade sweaters, mittens, hats, and scarves in one of the hottest countries in the world . . .

What do you think? Should I plan on bringing yarn with me?
KME0050

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Although I can't say that I ever called myself a craftaholic, that shoe fits me too!

And you are right, the fabric selection is positively dazzling. I have never seen the kind of fabrics in the US that are available everywhere in KSA. I thought about investing in a sewing machine when I was last there, but didn't do it. Maybe I will this time. It would be a shame not to do something with all of that gorgeous fabric.

BUT, what I really need, is the kind of mindless project that will keep my hands busy while I watch a movie or sit and chat with friends. If I don't--I eat! And if there are two activities that are 100% incompatible, it's knitting and eating.

You seem to know something about the yarn selection in Riyadh--How is it? I'm afraid that if I do find yarn I might not find the good wools, cottons, and imported blends I prefer.

John found a couple of manufacturers on-line that produce yarn, so I imagine it must be sold somewhere in the country. However, it is hard to imagine that there is a huge demand for homemade sweaters, mittens, hats, and scarves in one of the hottest countries in the world . . .

What do you think? Will I find nice yarn there or should I plan I bringing some with me?
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't find what you need the other alternative is to shop for it on-line and have it mailed to you. However, best bring a suitcase of it. As stated before, there doesn't seem to be any specialty shops that cater to just yarn and mostly you find small sections within the craft areas of jairir bookstore or other smally dinky craft shops.

I am also an arts & crafts person, lately involved in creating 3D mixed medium mosaics on traditional pottery so was able to find lots of different tile, and other weird baubles and things at the various tailor & dress shops, along with cheap pottery and the necessary glues and grout for my projects. I convert some of the finished vases into lamps. Running out of room for all these projects though, will need to find a way to sell them. Surprised

I have hunted all over Riyadh for different craft shops and have not found anything that matches what is available in the west. As for yarn...bring what you need to get started then I would look into purchasing on-line before you run out. Save you the hassle of running around the city wasting time trying to find a shop that probably doesn't even exist. Rolling Eyes But I could be wrong...you could also inquire on various websites like expatriates.com maybe someone will know...I think on-line is best alternative.
AnneSansTete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are shops selling needlework supplies? I do cross stitch, hardanger, and crewel. I have a stash collection that I'm bringing with me, but it would be nice if there were somewhere to pick up a skein or two. TIA
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These shops exist in Jeddah and Al-Khobar so I am sure there must be some in Riyadh.
teechagimme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a quilter's guild in Riyadh so perhaps those ladies know where to find more crafting supplies. I've been to a number of souks and malls. They are full of interesting things, but I haven't seen a lot of yarn.
AnneSansTete

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been there myself, but apparently there's this shop:

http://www.thepinktarha.com/2013/05/a-creative-world-inside-dmc-riyadh.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: