Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs for Licensed Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Jobs for Licensed Teachers Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I tried the search engine, but it didn't work.

I'm wondering what kinds of jobs are available for licensed teachers in Hong Kong? What's the best way to find these jobs? Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCMP is your friend.
sistercream

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licensed in which jurisdiction, for which age groups/ subjects?

You've left your run a bit too late for the coming school year.

Link for website/ newspaper mentioned in the previous post: http://www.classifiedpost.com/
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Licensed in which jurisdiction, for which age groups/ subjects?

Primary/Junior in Canada.

I'll look into SCMP and the newspaper you suggested.

Thank you both for your help.
sistercream

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you also have a couple of years (or more) classroom experience under your belt, then you'll be in the running for international school jobs. Canadian International School (CDNIS) is well regarded here.

If you're particularly interested in TEFLing, then get a CELTA or equivalent and apply for the Education Board NET scheme.
Didah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
Most international schools require a valid teaching credential and two consecutive years in the classroom. I have taught ESL at all levels in many countries including as a SNET in Hong Kong. I returned home to California to earn my teaching credential. After two years teaching English Language Arts and ESL in the Bay Area, I applied for jobs in international schools. From my experience, I did not get my job directly. I went through International Schools Services
www.iss.edu

They specialize in placing teachers and administrators in international schools around the world. ISS along with a couple of other companies act as Human Resources or vetting agents for the schools. I was hired through one of their job fairs.

By the way, since the Chinese takeaway in 1997 (read British handoff) the number of international schools teaching an American, British or Canadian curriculum has dwindled. Because of this, a lot of foreign capital companies have relocated to placed like Singapore where there are more international schools. I have read though that there are companies that would like to bring international schools back to Hong Kong.

Good luck,
sistercream

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didah wrote:

By the way, since the Chinese takeaway in 1997 (read British handoff) the number of international schools teaching an American, British or Canadian curriculum has dwindled. Because of this, a lot of foreign capital companies have relocated to placed like Singapore where there are more international schools. I have read though that there are companies that would like to bring international schools back to Hong Kong.

ROFLMAO!!
A grand total of one international school has closed since 1997 - that was Poinsettia, which catered mainly to the Nepali community & other south Asians. That closed in 2010.

On the other hand, no fewer than TEN (10) new, full-on international schools have opened in the same period. These run the gamut from the relatively low budget Rosebud Primary right up to Harrow International.
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Jobs for Licensed Teachers Reply with quote

Hi,

As I've been browsing this forum for awhile now, I am seriously considering getting a teacher license. With no prior teaching experience, is it possible to find a school to hire me to do my initial 2 years after getting certified? I'm considering Teacher Ready program online while living overseas and would like to do the training and 2 year teaching experience over here in Asia somewhere without having to relocate back to the States. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Aaron
fladude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs for Licensed Teachers Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
Hi,

As I've been browsing this forum for awhile now, I am seriously considering getting a teacher license. With no prior teaching experience, is it possible to find a school to hire me to do my initial 2 years after getting certified? I'm considering Teacher Ready program online while living overseas and would like to do the training and 2 year teaching experience over here in Asia somewhere without having to relocate back to the States. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Aaron

It's always possible. And even if you don't get one right away... wait a month... teachers sometimes quit mid year and when they do, the schools will hire anyone to replace them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: