Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting off in Asia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjmazza419

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Starting off in Asia Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm looking for some advice to start out in Asia. So far it seems all roads are blocked.

Some key points about me:

29-year old male

2-year Associates degree (Computer Science)

TEFL certification (130 hours)

No experience

The 2-year degree is currently my main impediment, and I don't really have enough money to go looking for a job on foot. Is there any country that will give a guy like me a first chance?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you actually complete a bachelor's degree you are pretty much out of luck in East and Southeast Asia for "LEGAL" (as in with a proper visa and necessary permits) work. In most of Asia now, teaching is considered to be a "licensed profession" (just like in the west) and the degree is a work as well as a visa requirement.

Cambodia may be a short term option (visa rules are still pretty lax) but it will be a short lived option since under the ASEAN frameworks they will have to meet the same standards as the rest of the ASEAN block by 2015.

It is also a pretty undeveloped market in terms of EFL so jobs are not as common, pay is poor and jobs are found "on the ground". You won't find anyone willing to "fly you over" based on an associates in a non-related field and a generic TEFL cert.

You also didn't mention your country of passport - it does make a difference (I assumed you were American).

If you are in fact American then Mexico, Central and South America are (albeit not well paid) options where you can get work.

Also, it is not in your best interests to be underfunded and seek work abroad. At a minimum you should have enough money to survive for a couple of months and have a backup return ticket to your home country.

Asia is not a nice place to be stranded and the days of the back-packer teacher have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird.

spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS ttompatz has gone off territory already, I'll follow, though you haven't asked about other regions.

A 4-year degree is not a legal requirement in Central Europe, where US citizens can legally get work permits. The problems are that

1. you would be competing with most newbies who do have a 4-year degree and CELTA/equivalent certification.
2. you would be competing with EU nationals who do not need work permits: there are lots of legal hoops which do apply to US passport holders and do not apply to EU (UK) teachers, so employers make the obvious choice when feasible.
3. there are no employers who reimburse up front costs at the newbie level and jobs are found on the ground only (considerable start up costs apply).

This is a region that can work for the degree-less, but it's not a lucrative job market and people hoping to break in here need to be willing and able to foot fairly significant start-up costs.
pjmazza419

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to the both of you, disheartening as it is.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head for the oil patch in Alberta.
Work your tail off for a year twisting rods on a service rig. Bank some coin.
Complete your BA (in anything but you may want to grab some education faculty courses as an option).
Only one or 2 more years of academic work after your associate diploma and things are much different.

Then you will have money in your pocket and the ability to work just about anywhere in Asia, Africa, South America, Central America and Eastern Europe.

pjmazza419

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Complete your BA (in anything but you may want to grab some education faculty courses as an option).
Only one or 2 more years of academic work after your associate diploma and things are much different.

Then you will have money in your pocket and the ability to work just about anywhere in Asia, Africa, South America, Central America and Eastern Europe.

I admit I laughed, but thanks for the encouragement.

I updated the other thread I made but forgot to update this one. I started applying for other Chinese schools right after my rejection. I was following a tip that maybe the school just didn't have the clout to get me a visa with an Associates Degree.

So far I've received a few responses telling me they can get me a visa without a BA. I won't go to China or anywhere else on a tourist visa, so they will have to come through or else it's back to the drawing board for me.
mw182006

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:

Sound advice for the long haul, as usual from ttompatz. Unless you're in some dire situation, I'd find the quickest path to a degree. If you see yourself teaching for awhile it's going to open a lot more doors for you any where you go. Keep in mind I'm a newb on the outside looking in on the ESL game, but I've been researching this move off and on for a couple years now. I'm 30 and have spent the last 10 years in banking/mortgages if that gives you any perspective.
kona

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can legally get work in Taiwan with an AA and a TEFL cert. Unfortunately, you run into a few other problems I think:

A. You won't get hired from abroad, so you need to head over to get work. That means you need money to make the transition. I wouldn't go without a return ticket and a couple grand aka a solid plan B.

B. Some employers DO require a BA, some could care less (look in less desirable locations)

C. It's a pretty saturated market. Taiwan is a pretty damn cool place, so a lot of people want to work there or end up staying there. As is true with most of the EFL world, entry level wages have been stagnant for the last 10 years, while inflation has risen. Plus, Taiwan has a relatively small market compared to China or even South Korea, with of course the ubuquitous demographic problem in developed Asia of a low birth rate.

Check the Taiwan board for more info though, I've never lived there, just got friends there.
ptm234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Taiwan for 2 years with an AA and TESOL certificate. It can be done but you have to set foot in Taiwan to do that. There are lots of schools who hire first time teachers. It will take some time because the market is more competitive especially in Taipei.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: