Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Indonesia Becoming More Racially Intolerant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiThep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Is Indonesia Becoming More Racially Intolerant? Reply with quote

There was a major international survey of attitudes of racial tolerance (or intolerance) which has been featured in many newspapers in recent days. The question asked was whether you would mind if someone of a different race or religion moved in next door to you. It found that while people in English-speaking countries were generally very tolerant on this point, Indonesia was one of the most intolerant countries in the world. It was in the same band as places like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Egypt. I have also been disturbed by the reports of attacks of churches and mosques (of differing sects) in Indonesia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325502/Map-shows-worlds-racist-countries-answers-surprise-you.html

Do people on the ground feel that Indonesia is becoming a much more intolerant place to live and work?
TheOmar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Tolerant in my book Reply with quote

Sorry for the super late reply.

I found Indonesia to be much more tolerant compared to The Big Asia 3 - China, S. Korea, and Japan.

My foreigner friends there ranged from white, black, Asian-British, Indian-British, and Pakistani-American (that's me!).

I didn't hear about anything racially intolerant there. Just stupid stuff like how my Asian friend would always get spoken to in Bahasa Indonesian and he'd say he's from England but they didn't believe him. So he just said he's from Singapore and they accepted that.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how one would assess levels of racial intolerance in a country like Indonesia. What I see is a government in Indonesia that is absolutely criminal, whereas most are struggling to feed their families and make some kind of a living for themselves. Aside from the religious intolerance that you see between communities, I don't think that there is that much intolerance towards Westerners and foreigners.
Atoms for Peace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesians don't seem to be too intolerant to individual foreigners (except for black Africans), but like many nationalistic countries, harbor prejudices against other nations that have made better progress since independence (such as Malaysia and Singapore). They are also susceptible to xenophobic sentiment whipped up by religious and political figures, as blaming foreigners is a sure vote-winner. Indonesia will hold legislative and presidential elections this year, and several nationalist parties will use the foreign-bashing tactic to increase their share of the vote. The ruling coalition may feel the need to respond, possibly with legislation (or promises of it) that makes life more difficult for foreigners, such as tighter rules for work permits. Foreigners are occasionally threatened with "sweeping" when there are problems between Indonesia and other nations, such as the recent revelations of Australian monitoring of cellphone calls, but this usually blows over quickly without anything happening.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atoms for Peace wrote:
Indonesians don't seem to be too intolerant to individual foreigners (except for black Africans),

Too bad about the Nigerians. Their smarter than most whites, unfortunately they seem to be well known for being criminals.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atoms for Peace wrote:
Foreigners are occasionally threatened with "sweeping" when there are problems between Indonesia and other nations, such as the recent revelations of Australian monitoring of cellphone calls, but this usually blows over quickly without anything happening.

Ah yes our well known allies to the south. I don't want to be in a plane with a terrorist bomb in it, so keep it up.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Indonesian government seems to enjoy whipping up xenophobia. It is interesting to note the difference between the reactions of the Australian government and people when Indonesian spying was uncovered in Australia eight years ago (i.e. disinterest, as every country monitors its neighbours) vs the outrage whipped up by the Indonesian government recently when it was discovered Australia was intercepting Indonesian intelligence - something everyone knew was happening.

The ongoing boat saga is another interesting point. Indonesia tries to make it look like Australia is at fault for telling Indonesia to start taking some responsibility for their failure to solve a problem that originates in Indonesia. Australia is actually doing the right thing by being tough on Indonesia. If they don't do this the Indonesians will just play the victim card forever - when they are in fact the perpetrator.
princesss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiverMystic wrote:
The Indonesian government seems to enjoy whipping up xenophobia. It is interesting to note the difference between the reactions of the Australian government and people when Indonesian spying was uncovered in Australia eight years ago (i.e. disinterest, as every country monitors its neighbours) vs the outrage whipped up by the Indonesian government recently when it was discovered Australia was intercepting Indonesian intelligence - something everyone knew was happening.

I agree about the xenophobia. The sad thing is that ordinary Indonesians are quite open to Westerners and are friendly. So often the xenophobia seemd to be whipped up for political advantage. Maybe things will improve after the elections next month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: