Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KITAS for Irish passport holders?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niscratz

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: KITAS for Irish passport holders? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could please confirm whether or not Irish passport holders are entitled to a working visa in Indonesia.

Thanks in advance,
Aoife
topshop

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: KITAS for Irish Passport holders Reply with quote

This is a strange situation and one that I have struggled to understand for a good while. I even approached the Indonesian consulate in Ireland for an answer but there was none given. I think the answer could only be given by the Indonesian embassy in London. My information is that the Indonesian authorities do not believe for some reason that Irish nationals are not native speakers of English as they say that Irish is the first language of the Republic of Ireland.

Officially this is true to some degree but Irish is not widely spoken outside of the gaeltacht areas in Ireland thus English is the language spoken in Ireland. I have a inkling as to why Indonesia takes this stance towards Ireland and it refers to the Labour government policy of about twenty years ago when a certain politican (D.S.) berated the Indonesian policy vis a vis Timor Leste and the Indonesians have never forgiven us.

Since we are such a small country it is difficult to make a case for ourselves except through the EU. Thus I believe that this policy stands to this day and this has been confirmed to me by employers in Indonesia.

Imagine if we were to implement such a rascist policy against Indonesian resident in our country? However our spineless government does not care a whit about the expat Irish just gald to get rid of them out of the country so that they can save on social welfare. Sorry I digress, in short I believe that a KITAS is not available to Irish citizens in Indonesia who wish to work as English teachers there.

For official confirmation please contact the Indonesian embassy in London and I hope you get an honest answer but I doubt it.
jef dam

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most things, it's a grey area. Job advertisements usually list the passports they accept. Some mention Ireland, some don't. Take them at face value and apply to schools that say they will accept your passport. The worst answer you can get is no.

Good luck.
p1randal

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I have two coworkers from Scotland, and I do the recruiting for my school and the director never mentioned anything about "no irish allowed" or anything of the like. I think it is more like jef dam said..sometimes yes and sometimes no..
niscratz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your answers. The list of passports listed in ads seems to exclude Ireland more often than it includes it, but I guess I'll only apply where it has been included..

Interesting take on the matter Topshop! English is without shadow of doubt the first language of the majority of Irish citizens (sadly in terms of culture etc, useful when it comes to EFL teaching), and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. I'm pretty sure DS had a very valid point back in the mid-90s. I would hope that wouldn't be the reason behind the lack of clarity regarding this point!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: